WEEI Mike Milbury takes issue with Jim Montgomery's Don Cherry impression

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I listened to that interview and I honestly can’t tell if Milbury was joking or not. I hope he was.

Regardless, screw you Mike. Intentional or not, you come off like a bitter old man, who’s accomplished nothing in your professional career. Which isn’t too far from the truth…

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
tenor.gif

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
So Montgomery growing up was TEN YEARS old when Too Many Men happened

He lived in Montreal!!!!!!!!!!!!

To this day I do NOT remember the drive back from Montreal after that game except getting breakfast at the infamous Red Arrow in Manchester, NH around 7 AM. I have to assume I did not leave the Island of Montreal sober after that game.

What I do recall is the waitress at the Red Arrow looked at us and said 'Well. you guys had a long night' and I held up the French tabloid Journal de Montreal and she gasped 'You were there??? Breakfast is on me hon'

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
So Montgomery growing up was TEN YEARS old when Too Many Men happened

He lived in Montreal!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was going to post something to this effect. I'm assuming he grew up a huge Habs fan, too.

I saw some of the interview that Montgomery did and heard the Cherry comments. I didn't think there was anything particularly inflammatory there. He even said it wasn't Cherry's fault there were too many men on the ice. The waving of the arms didn't bother me, either.

I love Don Cherry and I didn't think there was anything wrong with Jim Montgomery's presser.

What I *do* think is that Mike Millbury is still sore over the loss to Montreal (I would be too) and Coach Montgomery hit a nerve.

As I've said before, glad you survived the ride home @Fenway! Thanks for sharing your tremendous knowledge with us.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Oh feh.

While I don't agree with him on half the things he says, I find Don Cherry to be an interesting personality that breaks up the sameness you see on NHL pre and post game broadcasts. That said...Millbury needs to lighten up. I get that Monty hit a sore spot that still haunts ol Mikey, but there was nothing malicious behind it. The hard ass act he and some of the guys pull is so annoying that it comes off as fake. Not everything is a dig or a slight on what you or Cherry accomplished with the Bruins, Mikey boy. At the end of the day, it's a joke...kind of like Millbury's post playing career.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I take issue with Mike Milbury continuing to try and keep himself relevant but, as they say, the man's gotta eat.

Reactions: Alicat and Kovi

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I take issue with Mike Milbury continuing to try and keep himself relevant but, as they say, the man's gotta eat.
We've got a whole thread going about him. Guess it's working?

I don't really remember him as a player, and I don't have any strong feelings for him one way or another. He does seem to be pretty good at staying in the public eye, though.

Reactions: Kate08

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I listened to that interview and I honestly can’t tell if Milbury was joking or not. I hope he was.

Regardless, screw you Mike. Intentional or not, you come off like a bitter old man, who’s accomplished nothing in your professional career. Which isn’t too far from the truth…
Mike was dead serious he took offence to Monty talking about that too many men call and Cherry .We need remember Monty grew up die hard habs fan & Milbury knows it .That loss still bothers me so imagine it really hurt Mike.Monty getting his chance right now at Cup so hopefully he gets it right and we all are celebrating in June.Go Bruins !

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Do you want to hear TWO bitter old men? Last week on WMEX

The young me would jump all over this link and get royally pissed by these two.

But I'm going to step away from the edge.

It's possible I'm maturing in my old age. Either that or I'm weak and beaten down and know this would do me real damage. One of the two, definitely.:laugh:

If Phil Esposito joined them the universe might collapse into a black hole of bitterness
Then add in Stan Fischler and it might create a vacuum so strong it actually reverses the universe inside out!

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Phil said in his book he had a huge WHA deal waiting and took a lot less money to stay in Boston and had a hand shake deal in place with Sinden for a no trade clause instead of having it written into the contract, less than two years later Sinden dealt him to the Rangers. You can understand Phil's resentment towards the Bruins, but if you shake hands with the devil you will get burned.

It was less than 2 months later. Before the 75-76 season, he was offered 2.5 Million + 1 Million signing bonus by the Vancouver Blazers. Out of loyalty to the Bruins, he signed with them for just over 1 million over 4 years. Harry traded him 12 games into the season, November of '75. Harry screwed Phil big time, and any hatred Phil has was well earned.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Milbury will always be a tool. He's been making the media rounds to try to get his name back in the game. I hope no one buys into his BS and hires him

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
I was going to post something to this effect. I'm assuming he grew up a huge Habs fan, too.

I saw some of the interview that Montgomery did and heard the Cherry comments. I didn't think there was anything particularly inflammatory there. He even said it wasn't Cherry's fault there were too many men on the ice. The waving of the arms didn't bother me, either.

I love Don Cherry and I didn't think there was anything wrong with Jim Montgomery's presser.

What I *do* think is that Mike Millbury is still sore over the loss to Montreal (I would be too) and Coach Montgomery hit a nerve.

As I've said before, glad you survived the ride home @Fenway! Thanks for sharing your tremendous knowledge with us.
I can confirm he was a huge Habs fan. I went to high school with Monty (he was a year older), and we were 3-4 Bruins fans in the entire school and 2 of us had Middleton jerseys. I'd wear them the day after a Bruins win vs Habs and the guy would tease the hell out of me. We used to have an after school cosom hockey league and he was by far the best player, but he'd still take some time to remind me about the Habs having more cups than the B's during the game.

He was an arrogant SOB back then but it appears he has used the last 37 years of his life to mature and evolve, LOL. After this past season, all is forgiven for the teasing.

Last edited:

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I can confirm he was a huge Habs fan. I went to high school with Monty (he was a year older), and we were 3-4 Bruins fans in the entire school and 2 of us had Middleton jerseys. I'd wear them the day after a Bruins win vs Habs and the guy would tease the hell out of me. We used to have an after school cosom hockey league and he was by far the best player, but he'd still take some time to remind me about the Habs having more cups than the B's during the game.

He was an arrogant SOB back then but it appears he has used the last 37 years life to mature and evolve, LOL. After this past season, all is forgiven for the teasing.
Thank you for sharing that! Great story. I’m not surprised by any of it, and I do know firsthand that time and life experience changes almost everyone. I actually hope you get a chance to meet up with him at some point and catch up. I’ll bet that would be a great conversation.

I don’t care if he was a Habs fan or not. He works for us now, and if he can help reduce what I like to call “The Stanley Cup Gap,” I’ll be ecstatic.

I hope Jim Montgomery has a long and successful career here as head coach with numerous Stanley Cup Championships.

Reactions: badbrewin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad