WEEI Mike Milbury says the Bruins on paper, are the best team in the league

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I’d have laughed my ass off at this before the start of the year.

But in a theoretical world where one of Sway/Ullmark proves elite (which is possible), where lower tier roster players like Forbort and Foligno continue to play great hockey, where both Marchand and McAvoy are back at 100%, and where the other stars are performing like stars…

It’s not the craziest take.

Reactions: Ladyfan

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
We certainly are in the conversation especially if the goaltending continues to excel, but the best team on paper is a bit of a stretch.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Colorado still holds this title with all due respect to Boston. They were on another level last year and have the current title on paper and on the ice.

I do believe Boston is the best team in the East but still need to prove that against Tampa in a best of 7.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Colorado still holds this title with all due respect to Boston. They were on another level last year and have the current title on paper and on the ice.

I do believe Boston is the best team in the East but still need to prove that against Tampa in a best of 7.

Agreed. Colorado's roster is still the benchmark for me. Yeah they've started the season a bit patchy but they still have so much talent all over the ice, and they're the Cup holders. To me they still have an explosiveness and an extra gear that no-one else has yet shown they can match, Bruins included. Goaltending remains a weakness but they won a Cup with just an ok goalie so they've proven they can get by with it. Otherwise out west I think Calgary has a really strong roster, probably best of the rest. Oilers are stacked offensively but D still looks a bit shaky. Vegas are solid at both ends but perhaps just have a piece or two missing, and Lehner being out is a big loss.

I'm fairly confident the Bruins are now better than Tampa. Agreed they still need to prove it, but for the first time since probably 2014 I believe they've got the Bolts covered. Elsewhere in the East I think Florida have taken a step backwards, the Pens continue to be a decent but no longer great team, and the Leafs keep flattering to deceive and have real defense and goalie issues. That leaves the Canes and Rangers. Do the Bruins have a better list than either? Maybe. At least now it's debatable whereas last season the roster just wasn't quite there with the best teams.

In sum I think 'Bruins best on paper' is overblown, but they're genuinely in the mix again after a couple of years when they were a bit short of the mark, and that's very encouraging.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Enjoy the ride. And be grateful that Mad Mike was never the Bruins GM because there would have been a Yashin era(error) in Boston.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Agreed. Colorado's roster is still the benchmark for me. Yeah they've started the season a bit patchy but they still have so much talent all over the ice, and they're the Cup holders. To me they still have an explosiveness and an extra gear that no-one else has yet shown they can match, Bruins included. Goaltending remains a weakness but they won a Cup with just an ok goalie so they've proven they can get by with it. Otherwise out west I think Calgary has a really strong roster, probably best of the rest. Oilers are stacked offensively but D still looks a bit shaky. Vegas are solid at both ends but perhaps just have a piece or two missing, and Lehner being out is a big loss.

I'm fairly confident the Bruins are now better than Tampa. Agreed they still need to prove it, but for the first time since probably 2014 I believe they've got the Bolts covered. Elsewhere in the East I think Florida have taken a step backwards, the Pens continue to be a decent but no longer great team, and the Leafs keep flattering to deceive and have real defense and goalie issues. That leaves the Canes and Rangers. Do the Bruins have a better list than either? Maybe. At least now it's debatable whereas last season the roster just wasn't quite there with the best teams.

In sum I think 'Bruins best on paper' is overblown, but they're genuinely in the mix again after a couple of years when they were a bit short of the mark, and that's very encouraging.
Solid response.

Carolina beat Boston last year and has added depth on D. On the flip side, the Bruins have hit that rare 'healthy competition' lineup where even the top line players are going to make sure they earn the PP time.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad