WEEI Mike Milbury is concerned Bruce Cassidy is publicly calling out players too frequently

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
My issue wasn’t that he called them out, it’s that he didn’t call himself out.

Cassidy and his staff are not doing a great job right now. IMO, a good leader starts with himself first.

Agreed. A good leader looks in the mirror first, although we don't know if he's done that. I do feel like this is a somewhat desperation tactic by Bruce. Not sure if it's the terrible scheduling or all of the new guys on the roster or what but they often times too often this year looked disjointed and aren't playing cohesively IMO.
I agree with this quote from Milbury "
“If you start to use this as one of your principal tools as a coach, you are going down the wrong path,” Milbury said. “You can take back ice time. You can privately yell at them. But if you start publicly scolding people, it is pretty much the last arrow in your quiver that you’re gonna fire."
While Milbury says and does some weird stuff, he was a good coach for the Bruins when he was at the helm and he is paid for his honest opinion no matter how it comes out.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
A lot of speculation and maybes about Bruce’s calling guys out.

Here’s what we know. Hall took a bad penalty and was lazy on the back check. He got benched. Bruce was asked about it and answered honestly.
If that’s calling a guy out and he can’t take it, maybe that’s on the player.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’m not sure that’s fair. It could be true, but he could also be pointing out a trend. It could easily be a slippery slope for Bruce.

Milburys job here is to opine. I don’t see anything wrong with it. He was asked the question right? It’s not like he came storming in with some big criticism.

theres nothing wrong with him having an opinion, just like there’s nothing wrong with me laughing at him for thinking he has a relevant opinion on how to coach players in 2021

though I gotta say, if anything I figured he would go the other way with his opinion

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I’m not sure that’s fair. It could be true, but he could also be pointing out a trend. It could easily be a slippery slope for Bruce.

Milburys job here is to opine. I don’t see anything wrong with it. He was asked the question right? It’s not like he came storming in with some big criticism.

he’s entitled to his opinion.
But in my opinion he’s white noise.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
In addition to what's been mentioned, Hall deserved an assist on the first Ottawa goal.

Glad to see Milbury working in any capacity; I miss him on national broadcasts.

As for Cassidy, I really like the guy, but - coaches have a shelf life. In addition to him calling out players publicly, his body language on the bench suggests he's getting flustered. Perhaps nearing his expiration date?

I sense similar from Rick Bowness in Dallas, who I also really like.

I know many were saying the same thing about Mike Sullivan when the Pens struggled, and he turned things around.

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA
I would be more worried about a highly paid star player playing lazy hockey, detrimental to his team’s goals, than I would the coach’s reaction to it.

I don’t listen to WEEI ever, but I’m surprised Wiggy was able to adequately vocalize this point. Most of the time when that guy speaks it comes out as a jumble of complete nonsense.

Reactions: Gordoff

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Both things can be true:
Milbury sucks
Bruce isn’t doing enough

they do not have to conflict w one another
Yup

Where I’m at with Cassidy - the top line wouldn’t be worse with a different coach and the bottom three lines haven’t been any good with him and for a long while. Seems like a decent guy and honest, but the teams problems aren’t new and aren’t improving

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Cassidy before the season: Coyle is going to move up to the 2nd line so it’s going to take time for that line to gain chemistry:

Cassidy after 10 games: we are benching Hall, moving him down a line and Smith as well.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Cassidy before the season: Coyle is going to move up to the 2nd line so it’s going to take time for that line to gain chemistry:

Cassidy after 10 games: we are benching Hall, moving him down a line and Smith as well.

taking a dumb penalty and being lazy on the back check has nothing to do with line chemistry

Last edited:
Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Yup

Where I’m at with Cassidy - the top line wouldn’t be worse with a different coach and the bottom three lines haven’t been any good with him and for a long while. Seems like a decent guy and honest, but the teams problems aren’t new and aren’t improving

The Bruins problems defensively are new.

Under Cassidy the B's have never given up so many great scoring chances as they have so far this season.

Its not just about the defensemen but rather the team defense. New goalies, new players, not sure if its that. Could be Cassidy is losing the room.

By Christmas it should be clearer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
I’m not the biggest fan of Cassidy’s coaching style, but in this case with Hall he was asked a specific question and gave a specific answer. You can’t fault him for that.

Reactions: Alicat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad