WEEI Mike Milbury is concerned Bruce Cassidy is publicly calling out players too frequently

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy is generally pretty honest with the media, and he doesn’t shy away from publicly criticizing players who aren’t playing well or playing the right way.

Cassidy has already done so a couple times this season, most recently saying in his postgame press conference on Tuesday that Taylor Hall wasn’t playing “winning hockey” when asked why Hall had been benched late in the third period.

In the past, Cassidy has defended his public comments by saying he almost never tells the media anything he hasn’t already told the player directly.

Still, it is fair to wonder if there are players who don’t like it or don’t respond well to it. Former Patriots tight end Jermaine Wiggins has said numerous times on The Greg Hill Show that he doesn’t like the way Cassidy calls out players and thinks he unfairly singles out certain guys.

On Thursday morning, weekly guest Mike Milbury agreed with Wiggy to an extent. While Milbury, who coached the Bruins from 1989-91, isn’t completely against publicly criticizing players, he does think Cassidy may be doing it too often.

“If you start to use this as one of your principal tools as a coach, you are going down the wrong path,” Milbury said. “You can take back ice time. You can privately yell at them. But if you start publicly scolding people, it is pretty much the last arrow in your quiver that you’re gonna fire. Because it will turn people off. The best tool for a coach is communication, is words. It’s the best thing you have.

“I don’t know if he did or didn’t, after he sat [Hall] down for a good portion of the game, but that’s the time when you better go right back at him and whisper in his ear, ‘I still love you, but these are things you have to do better.’ You’re right to be on it. It’s not a good pattern I’m starting to detect from Cassidy, and it’s unusual for him because I haven’t seen it in the past.”

Listen to the full interview below:

NHL Analyst Mike Milbury Joins The Greg Hill Show: Thoughts On Bruce Cassidy Sitting Taylor Hall "If You Start Publicly Scolding People...it Will Turn People Off"

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
So he was asked his thoughts and he says it’s a slippery slope, don’t know if Bruce told him hey you’re still my guy but you gotta be better, etc etc etc but because it’s Mike Milbury who some don’t like and who had some rough times as a coach and a GM it’s big news and how dare he.

Tastes like a big nothingburger, he gave an answer that probably a lot of others are giving on this subject when asked. Sheesh.

Reactions: easton117

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
So he was asked his thoughts and he says it’s a slippery slope, don’t know if Bruce told him hey you’re still my guy but you gotta be better, etc etc etc but because it’s Mike Milbury who some don’t like and who had some rough times as a coach and a GM it’s big news and how dare he.

Tastes like a big nothingburger, he gave an answer that probably a lot of others are giving on this subject when asked. Sheesh.

nobody sees this as big news, they see this as hilarious

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Well if Hall plays his ass off tonight Bruce looks like a genius so we’ll see lol. I don’t see it as a big deal until it goes wrong, and it hasn’t gone wrong yet in his 4 years of calling players out.

Is he calling more players out now or did he just call out a high profile player that people had concerns about before coming here?

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
nobody sees this as big news, they see this as hilarious

Ok. So should be hilarious no matter who is answering the question similarly or who is commenting similarly here.

Point is it’s not hilarious. It’s a valid point of view. But it’s Mike soooo….

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
said he didnt play winning hockey right. Doubt that works on Hall
You aren't playing winning hockey when you are lazy on the back check in the neutral zone when up by one goal and you already messed up earlier in the game that allowed the other team to score.

It says more about the player then the coach if he can't take brutally honest comments.

It is no different if you screw something up at work and get called out for it by your boss.

I highly doubt Hall is as fragile as you.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
This feels like somebody trying to make something out of nothing. This is pro sports, sometimes you’re going to get criticized or take a little heat.
Exactly. Getting criticized and taking some warranted heat is part of life and the growing process athlete or not.

Reactions: CDJ and Therick67

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
theres where Im at. MM just trying to be relevant again.
I’m not sure that’s fair. It could be true, but he could also be pointing out a trend. It could easily be a slippery slope for Bruce.

Milburys job here is to opine. I don’t see anything wrong with it. He was asked the question right? It’s not like he came storming in with some big criticism.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad