WEEI Mike Milbury calls out Phil Kessel for being a dog

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
didn't he play on a line with absolute legend Nick Bonino in Pittsburgh? I understand that getting 3rd line match-ups helped, but it's not like he took all his shifts with Crosby and Malkin, he drove his line to those numbers

Reactions: Grimey

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So Milbury blowing more hot air. I am utterly shocked. I actually kind of like Mike at times-he'll say what he thinks and can be entertaining, but he does come up with some worst- of -HF- terrible style takes. I wonder what name he posts under when he's here?

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
EvergreenAfraidBabirusa-max-1mb.gif

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Phil Kessel has better career playoff numbers than

Bergeron
Krejci
Toews
Kopitar

And the list goes on

calling Kessel a dog and not someone you would want on your team in the playoffs is laughable

I don't agree with Milbury, but I will say that I would take anyone on that list over Kessel either to team build or win a playoff series. He's never been on the winning side against any of them in the playoffs in small part because those are 200 foot players not just scorers.

That said, Kessel deserves his credit. He is a playoff producer and a very good one.

Kessel is disliked for some of the same reasons Marchand is, he's pretty weird and won't conform. If Kessel played an edgy game, I feel like he'd be suspended a lot.

Reactions: Bradely

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Kessel may only be 75% of what he could have been as a player, but he'll crack the top 100 goal scorers in NHL history, and if he hangs on for 1 more contract may end up top 100 across the board. Add to that he did play his best in postseason.

Is he a dog, yeah he has some dog in his game. That said is Milbury an idiot. that point hasn't been in dispute in 20+ years

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
So Milbury blowing more hot air. I am utterly shocked. I actually kind of like Mike at times-he'll say what he thinks and can be entertaining, but he does come up with some worst- of -HF- terrible style takes. I wonder what name he posts under when he's here?
It's definitely secretly Wally. :sarcasm: :laugh:

Reactions: Dr Hook

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Phil Kessel has better career playoff numbers than

Bergeron
Krejci
Toews
Kopitar

And the list goes on

calling Kessel a dog and not someone you would want on your team in the playoffs is laughable
I agree on most of your post, and mostly I don't get lack of respect calling someone a dog... I just don't get it. That said, I would take all players named above BEFORE Kessel in a PO run and other than points, don't see where Kessel has better stats than 46 and mostly 37....

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
STFU Milbury, Phil Kessel is a legend. He won back-to-back Stanley Cups while the Leafs retained $1.2M of his salary.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
It’s takes like this that make me think Milbury’s terrible tenure as a General Manager was in no way, shape, or form anyone’s fault but his.

He personifies arrogance. I can’t imagine having to deal with him as the head of anything.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I agree on most of your post, and mostly I don't get lack of respect calling someone a dog... I just don't get it. That said, I would take all players named above BEFORE Kessel in a PO run and other than points, don't see where Kessel has better stats than 46 and mostly 37....

At their best I take playoff Kessel over playoff Bergeron or Krejci

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Bill Watters used to call Ovechkin a dog on Toronto radio all the time. Only one of them slipped into irrelevancy. Seems like history may be repeating itself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad