Player Discussion Mike Matheson

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
After more than 2 years, a Kent Hughes acquired player has hit the 50 pts mark.
Matheson also became the first Hughes era player to hit 40 pts earlier this season (since joined by Slaf).
Don't worry, Newhook and Dach will get there if they can stay healthy. We'll see about Hutson. But adding Slaf, Hutson, Matheson, Dach, and Newhook to the future core in just two years is fantastic work. And that's just the 40 point+ players. There's also the good defensive players like Fowler, Reinbacher, Engstrom Bogdan, Barron, Beck, and F. Xhekaj, plus Kovacevic, Heineman were good pick ups.

Excellent work.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
One of the easiest 3 point nights at the office you'll ever see, Still don't get all the hate,are all the haters on Matheson the same that hated Subban?
He also made it look easy. His assist on Armia's goal was something few defenders can do. He outsmarted everyone to ensure the empty netter that put the game out of reach. Flyers eventually got one. Without the empty netter it would have been a 2-1 game with about a minute left.

Empty netters are still important.

Reactions: habbubba

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
After more than 2 years, a Kent Hughes acquired player has hit the 50 pts mark.
Matheson also became the first Hughes era player to hit 40 pts earlier this season (since joined by Slaf).

I'd still keep MB's acquisition ( Savard ) over Mathy, he's blocking way more shots than Matheson has points, way less sexy tho.

Reactions: Pomee

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Matheson is a good player who doesn't get enough respect from our fan base. Every little mistake he makes is scrutinized way too much. Give the guy a break, I saw how this same type of scrutiny took it's toll on Patrice Brisebois.

Plus, I''m still hopeful he has another gear to reach in his defensive play. It's been a little over a calendar year for him playing 25 minutes a night as the number 1 dman.

He himself was asked how it feels to reach 50 points for the first time. He said our goal is to make the playoffs and compete for the stanley cup. If we're not doing that, I have things to improve on. He must know his defensive game needs to improve. Now we await to see if he has the ability to take it to another level. If he does, the fans will change their tune.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Matheson is a good player who doesn't get enough respect from our fan base. Every little mistake he makes is scrutinized way too much. Give the guy a break, I saw how this same type of scrutiny took it's toll on Patrice Brisebois.

I'm not to worry about that, different era, Brisebois was abuse from the fan even in the bell center and the media was also hard on him, as for Matheson all i ear from the media is how wonderfull he is.......here it's quite different tho.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
What pisses me off with Matheson is less is more in his case.
I don't think pointing out his warts online is the same as Brisebois at all.
Brisebois was hearing the cat calls live in game we've never seen that with Matheson.
I will continue to get on any player's case who makes dumb plays no matter who he is.
Why shouldn't I if I expect the player can be better or smarter.
We all know he is in the wrong seat but that shouldn't absolve him from some of the dumb things he does out there.

Reactions: Redux91 and Pomee

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
I'd still keep MB's acquisition ( Savard ) over Mathy, he's blocking way more shots than Matheson has points, way less sexy tho.
Put Savard in Matheson's shoes and see how much the offense dries up.

Frankly, it's not even close. Pts are pts and shot blocking is the single most overrated thng in here. Habs dominate the category for the last 30 years because it's a stat that requires you NOT have the puck.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Exactly, the guy has been a hell of an acquisition, what more can you ask?

Does he have flaws? Absolutely but the guy is playing a LOT of minutes. Rare are the D that are perfect every shift. Ryan Suter wasn't flawless every shift in his prime. Matheson is also still learning.

Reactions: Tyson

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I'm not to worry about that, different era, Brisebois was abuse from the fan even in the bell center and the media was also hard on him, as for Matheson all i ear from the media is how wonderfull he is.......here it's quite different tho.
Brisebois was never as good as Matheson.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Frankly, it's not even close. Pts are pts and shot blocking is the single most overrated thng in here. Habs dominate the category for the last 30 years because it's a stat that requires you NOT have the puck.
I'm pretty sure I read here Matheson is not putting up points 5v5.
So putting Savard in his place doesn't make sense as he would never be used on a PP or 3v3. However I could see him on 4v4.
The wanting to see another player other than Matheson on PP1 is what most folks are on about nothing more.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
So putting Savard in his place doesn't make sense as he would never be used on a PP or 3v3. However I could see him on 4v4.
The wanting to see another player other than Matheson on PP1 is what most folks are on about nothing more.
More 5 on 5 pts does not necessarily mean better on the PP.
Subban usually used to have more 5 on 5 pts than Markov but nobody would say he would be a better PP option.

Now I agree with you different combinations needs to be tried. Maybe one game, take off Newhook and put Guhle instead. That's what teams should doing during rebuilding seasons but the management wants to win at all cost it seems.

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
More 5 on 5 pts does not necessarily mean better on the PP.
Subban usually used to have more 5 on 5 pts than Markov but nobody would say he would be a better PP option.

Now I agree with you different combinations needs to be tried. Maybe one game, take off Newhook and put Guhle instead. That's what teams should doing during rebuilding seasons but the management wants to win at all cost it seems.
For me it's always been about where and why the PP is breaking down.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
About half of Matheson pts are from the power play this season.
Guhle and Savard have better 5v5 production and Savard was injured and missed games.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Brisebois was hearing the cat calls live in game we've never seen that with Matheson.
I will continue to get on any player's case who makes dumb plays no matter who he is.
We all know he is in the wrong seat but that shouldn't absolve him from some of the dumb things he does out there.
You do you sir. I don't care, just stating that he doesn't deserve the amount of scrutiny he gets, simply my opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: Rapala

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016
He is frustrating to watch at times because he can't keep the puck in the offensive zone on the PP. He will also regularly end a play by just having his shot blocked or having a deke not work to break possession.

That being said, he's accomplished much with us, has a 50 point season with 10 games left to play, making him 10th in the league in defensemen scoring. All the other ones ahead of him have much better offensive teams with maybe the exception of Noah Dobson.

4.875 cap hit for that kind of production is very cheap. He would be a 2nd or 3rd D on a very good team. He's also 30 and in his prime years as a D, he has at least another 6 good years to offer without any serious injuries.

He will be worth a kings ransom next year or the one after that (when he becomes UFA). We need to capitalize on his return big time, that might be what pushes us into contention...

Reactions: Redux91

Jul 6, 2016
If Matheson would play 20-22 minutes a game, I think he would be better. Otherwise, he is fine. Great, great skater.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He is frustrating to watch at times because he can't keep the puck in the offensive zone on the PP. He will also regularly end a play by just having his shot blocked or having a deke not work to break possession.

That being said, he's accomplished much with us, has a 50 point season with 10 games left to play, making him 10th in the league in defensemen scoring. All the other ones ahead of him have much better offensive teams with maybe the exception of Noah Dobson.

4.875 cap hit for that kind of production is very cheap. He would be a 2nd or 3rd D on a very good team. He's also 30 and in his prime years as a D, he has at least another 6 good years to offer without any serious injuries.

He will be worth a kings ransom next year or the one after that (when he becomes UFA). We need to capitalize on his return big time, that might be what pushes us into contention...
If you knew for sure that 23 year old Zegras would be a consistent 60-70 point forward, would you trade this 30 year old D-man scoring 57-ish points and with a smaller cap hit for Trevor one for one?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
One of the easiest 3 point nights at the office you'll ever see, Still don't get all the hate,are all the haters on Matheson the same that hated Subban?
No. I loved Subban because he was an actual great player, not just one on the hockeydb page.

Lol Savard has more 5v5 points than Matheson in like 20 less games.

He has 14 points.

To put that in perspective Alex Romanov has 15 points in one less game, on the same squad, Mike Rielly has one less point in 51 games.

Matheson is a passenger, unless hes on one of his highlight reel goal he scores one every 20 games.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada

He does make alot of mistakes don't get me wrong but I see forwards just dumping the puck as a last resort to Matheson while he is pressed very often, essentially putting Matheson in a world of trouble. Slaf and Suzuki need to get alot better at using the defenseman or our powerplay is gonna stay mediocre for a while.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Lol Savard has more 5v5 points than Matheson in like 20 less games.

He has 14 points.

To put that in perspective Alex Romanov has 15 points in one less game, on the same squad, Mike Rielly has one less point in 51 games.

Matheson is a passenger, unless hes on one of his highlight reel goal he scores one every 20 games.

51 pts is a passenger... OK.
Not everything is 5 on 5. You cannot tell me with a straight face Savard would be better than Matheson on the PP.

I swear the amount of undeserved hate the guy gets is ridiculous.

Reactions: Miller Time

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
People need to realize we could still be stuck with Petry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad