Mike Kostka: AHL All-star or future NHLer?

lordsithis

Jul 25, 2010
He has been an absolute stud as of late and tonight was no exception.

Is he another Keith Aucoin or does he have a chance at cracking the already clogged Leafs D lineup?

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
He is pretty old (27) and I don't see him improving much above what he currently is. He could maybe be an injury call up in the future for some team, I wouldn't expect to see him ever play for the Leafs though. Given that he is more of a puck mover guy I don't see him ever getting playing time due to already having the likes of Phaneuf, Gardiner, Liles, (Franson) with Rielly in the pipe lines who is very likely to one day make an impact in that department as well. There is also Ranger who Kostka is competing with as well. I think Frasor would play for the Leafs before Kostka simply because of the make up of our current defensemen.

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
I wouldn't completely rule it out, he has looked good in the A, not saying that translates to the NHL, but he has been on pace with Gardiner's performance. He doesn't have a lot of flash but does things well, and doesn't make many mistakes, and seems to be on the winning sides of battles.

I think if he was to go into our NHL camp, it wouldn't be entirely impossible for him to win a spot... especially if we were to move a defenseman or two due to our depth going down in all rankings...nice having some good depth !

And Lashoff ? cammmoon, who liked that guys play ? :P

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
Kostka is really solid on the PP. I'd say he's more likely an AHL all-star but hey, who knows. He seems like good leader, a semi-veteran presence.

Personally, I'm more excited about Ranger. Guy is solid everywhere.

Dougie Gilmour

Sep 2, 2012
Just because he hasn't played in the show yet, I would like to see what he would look like playing in the NHL! He is proving himself

leafspring*

Kostka has been the best marlies D-man all year

Gardiner has been the best D-man in the entire AHL. Gards is dominant bro.Ranger has been awsome to,and really that defense has been real good.They compliment each other lets just say that. Fraser Holzer the whole works have been the best;)

Last edited by a moderator:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He's playing in the AHL, so who knows how Liles, Komisarek, Franson would look in the AHL.

Marlies were outshoot 31 to 16?

Markstrom was 2nd. star.

Anyone who watched tell us where the defense was?

Ashton with an assist, otherwise no prospects involved in the scoring.

I guess 5'9", 24 year old Abbott still can be considered a prospect had 2 assists and was 3rd. star.

Morlesio14*

He's playing in the AHL, so who knows how Liles, Komisarek, Franson would look in the AHL.

Markstrom was 2nd. star.

I guess 5'9", 24 year old Abbott still can be considered a prospect had 2 assists and was 3rd. star.

Actually Ashton scored. We were outshot but I feel like we still played a pretty good game.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London

Markstrom was 2nd. star.

I was watching the stream and saw the end of the game. On the stream it was Scrivens who got the 2nd star and skated onto the ice, not Markstrom. The AHL website listed the wrong goalie. Makes a lot more sense having the goalie who made 30/31 saves instead of the one who made 11/15. :laugh:

The Marlies defense was quite solid all night. From what I saw in the third period (also a bit in the first when I was watching) was that the Marlies PK was solid and they were doing a good job keeping the shots to the outside for the most part.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I was watching the stream and saw the end of the game. On the stream it was Scrivens who got the 2nd star and skated onto the ice, not Markstrom. The AHL website listed the wrong goalie. Makes a lot more sense having the goalie who made 30/31 saves instead of the one who made 11/15. :laugh:

The Marlies defense was quite solid all night. From what I saw in the third period (also a bit in the first when I was watching) was that the Marlies PK was solid and they were doing a good job keeping the shots to the outside for the most part.

That makes more sense!

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Have you been watching the Marlies? Gardiner is awsome ! complete game,skates like a dream. I'm a homer 2 though hahaaa

Gardiner is phenomenal. His offensive instincts are off the charts; not to mention he is more then reliable in his own end.

But even as a homer, i can't discredit what this kid has done; especially being new to the league and having to adapt to his teammates.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
There's a reason why he hasn't been given a shot in the NHL, especially by a team like Tampa who was short on D last season. I'm not exactly sure what scares management off, but I'm assuming his defensive abilities are sub-par.

This is my year!
Dec 19, 2011
The past
I really don't care who is playing on our D. If Kostka and Ranger make the Leafs a better club I'm in full support.

I wish we could see how Komisarek would perform on the Marlies.

leafspring*

Gardiner is phenomenal. His offensive instincts are off the charts; not to mention he is more then reliable in his own end.

But even as a homer, i can't discredit what this kid has done; especially being new to the league and having to adapt to his teammates.

I hear that,he is good.

leafspring*

There's a reason why he hasn't been given a shot in the NHL, especially by a team like Tampa who was short on D last season. I'm not exactly sure what scares management off, but I'm assuming his defensive abilities are sub-par.

Thats natural enough to assume that,but its not true. He plays a solid game.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Have you been watching the Marlies? Gardiner is awsome ! complete game,skates like a dream. I'm a homer 2 though hahaaa

Gardiner has been the better all around player in the AHL this year but Schultz has been a force on the offensive side. As someone pointed out if Schultz can start being solid defensively then god help the Western conference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad