Mike Kostka: AHL All-star or future NHLer?

conway902

Feb 4, 2012
Gardiner has been the better all around player in the AHL this year but Schultz has been a force on the offensive side. As someone pointed out if Schultz can start being solid defensively then god help the Western conference.

I would hope Gardiner would put up the same numbers if the leafs number 1 line was in the AHL;)

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009

As others have stated, he certainly needs some work in the defensive end.

Not to mention how much space he's been getting on the ice compared to Gardiner, with other teams trying to cover the talent that OKC has on the ice at all times.

I think Schultz is going to be a very good NHL'er someday, and he'll put up great offensive stats from the blueline, but he'll always leave much to be desired on the defensive end.

Gardiner on the other hand is a bit better two-ways and has the raw talent to be able to hone his offensive skills to the point where he could quarterback an NHL Power Play.

Schultz will always have the better ability to make more of an impact on any give game either for good or for bad, but Gardiner IMO will always be the safer bet with consistent numbers on both ends.

Kostka on the other hand will probably follow the career path of Keith Aucoin. He's deserving of a shot at an NHL call-up, but I dont think he'll be the Leafs first option when we get back to playing. Paul Ranger is steadily improving and getting himself into his former shape. He's feeling more and more comfortable, confident and energetic every shift.

Cant wait to see what Ranger can do with a year of steady hockey under his belt.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I don't think he's a player. He does this little spin-off move against forecheckers which will never work in the NHL because he's not quick enough.

leafspring*

Gardiner has been the better all around player in the AHL this year but Schultz has been a force on the offensive side. As someone pointed out if Schultz can start being solid defensively then god help the Western conference.

Two NHL up and comers for sure. I watched Gards several times(different games) dominate the offensive zone,but his play making skills need alot of work.He's a shooter now.Leads the Marlies i believe at the minute. When he starts piling up assists also,he will be a thorn in alot of teams sides.

Kostka is simply put impressive/consistant to watch. Thats NHL talents he has,but with our defensive depth he would have to jump through hoops to get into the Leafs line-up. I wonder why he came to the Marlies,and our depth. He is a low panic player. I like his game.

Schultz is a plus player(checked and forgot now,but his defensive game is a +. His stats are off the chart good though. I have a hunch he will dominate the All Star game.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB

Dominating against AHL opponents is one thing, but it's quite another against NHL opposition.

I'm not too worried about Schultz. The hype sounds too good to be true. In the AHL, Schultz can BE offensive and have a lot more freedom because he has high skilled forwards opening things up. In the NHL, Yakupov, RNH and Hall aren't considered super-deadly, and teams can play better defensively. Schultz, to me, seems like another Byfuglien-style defenseman. The lack of acceleration will make thngs hard for him at the NHL level in rapid transition games.

There are weaknesses to exploit there.

As for Kostka, I expect he will stay in the AHL, but could understand him making a break into the NHL. 27 years isn't that old for a blue liner and the book hasn't been closed on him, yet.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Paul Ranger is a unique case. He is unquestionably an NHL caliber defenseman, but the year in the AHL was meant to be a refresher course to get him back into NHL shape, and as a stepping stone to an NHL contract should he decide he wants to atually return to the game.

There's nothing tying him to the Leafs for next season. He'll likely be one of the most sought after free agents. I think the Leafs have a very good chance of landing him, given that he seems very happy to be playing for the Marlies and playing in Toronto.

I think the Tampa Bay Lightning have a very good shot at him too, though, so I would consider them as contenders for his rights as well.

Personally, more than with any other free agent in years past, I hope he goes wherever it makes him happy to be. Rather see a guy like him, who embodies the purity and spirit of gamesmanship and love of the game of hockey, to be happy and in a place he loves than to simply have him on my team if it wasn't the right place for him.

ForSpareParts*

I really don't care who is playing on our D. If Kostka and Ranger make the Leafs a better club I'm in full support.

I wish we could see how Komisarek would perform on the Marlies.

I pretty much agree with this. If the OP is noticing his good play, so does the Leafs management. Injuries occur and long shots occur from time to time. Yes. Why not Kostka? :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad