Mike Knuble on Try-Out

Discussion in 'Detroit Red Wings' started by Chris 84, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Kronwalled55

Kronwalled55 1st Overall Plz

This is ridiculous... Normally I can laugh at stuff like this, but it's gotten to a point where I just shake my head.

2. crashman

crashman Guest

To retread this topic, I'd rather they just re-sign Holmstrom over signing Knuble, seeing as they're both basically only useful for veteran leadership and planting themselves in front of the net.

I wouldn't be against signing Knuble if the team didn't already have too many forwards, but there's just no room for a guy like him.

Wish we would have brought him back about 5 years ago, I've always liked the guy.

3. sarcastro

sarcastro Registered User

I'm sure they offered Holmstrom the same - they did with Maltby, Draper, etc. Homer apparently didn't want to play for GR and knew that this offer didn't have an NHL spot on the other end of it.

Everybody is being completely hysterical about this. He's not on the team. He's not going to make the team. He's almost certainly never going to see the team.

Everybody needs to just cooooool out.

[​IMG]

Actually, I'd rather have a guy like Knuble as the 23rd guy on the roster - any of the younger guys that would be in that spot (EMMERTON) should either be in GR playing 18 minutes a night, or should be traded away because they're useless (EMMERTON). Regardless, Knuble will not be on the roster, so everybody can calm the hell down about it.

[​IMG]

4. Big Poppa Puck

Big Poppa Puck HF's Villain

People are getting way too bent out of shape for a guy who will be lucky to get an AHL contract.

The Wings are just throwing him a bone.

5. Eternal Sunshine

Eternal Sunshine Sponsor

Knuble is like Holmstrom, only not as good parked in front, but better at scoring goals in the slot. He could be a PP ringer who just plays on the 4th line. I honestly wouldn't be upset to have him for this shortened season rotating with a young guy as 13th forward. Would rather have Knuble than Samuelsson.

6. Kiddington

Kiddington Registered User

To be totally honest, I actually wouldn't mind having him on the team over Emmerton at this point. I mean, could he really be any worse than that?

...not that it even matters, though. Barring a trade, he stands about the same odds of making the Wings roster as I do. Just too many depth forwards of that ilk already.

7. Huddy*

Huddy* Registered User

Financial Advisor-AXA
    its a lock he makes the team...our past says so..

8. JmanWingsFan

JmanWingsFan Your average Jman

If I had $1,000 to bet against this, I'd take you all on. He's. Not. Making. The. Team.

9. ProPAIN

ProPAIN I am the DANGER!

I can't wait for the season to start and for this BS argument to come to an end. He won't make the team, he doesn't add anything to the roster (if only veteran presence/leadership). He won't play in the AHL either. It's a tryout contract meaning he'll participate in scrims and might bring some additional support for youngsters. That's how I see it.

People are blowing this **** way out of proportion. I'll believe it when it happens.

10. Winger98

Winger98 Moderator

He might go to GR if he expects to be one of the first call-ups, and there are situations where I'd rather see that be Knuble than Nyquist/Tatar. If someone like Miller goes down, and they want to bring someone else to essentially ride the bench and provide extra depth for injuries in practice or to play every third game, a guy like Knuble would be ideal for that.

11. JRB86

JRB86 Registered User

hm... looks like what I said in that off season thread is coming true :D Knuble to the Wings... now to see this place when he gets his 1 year deal lol

12. JBauerly97

JBauerly97 Registered User

Somebody refresh my memory, but wasn't this guy kind of a stud for Washington within the last few years? Or did the fans just make him out to be better than he was while there?

13. sepster

sepster Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal

Ha, posted this back on 4/22/12.

14. InjuredChoker

InjuredChoker Registered User

Well he was good in that run n gun system.. playing with Ovy and Bäcks.

Started slow last year and Hunter didn't like him.

15. nik jr

nik jr Registered User

imo, he was really good in a role like bertuzzi and homer for both washington and philadelphia (but clearly better defensively), but is now 40 years old.

flyers' fans here used a phrase "knubled" to mean ending a PP by taking a dumb penalty, which holmstrom also did many, many times.

16. Kyleftlx

Kyleftlx twitter*****/kyle_ftl

Knuble was a pretty good player in Washington. He played with some pretty talented, high scoring teams, so maybe his numbers were skewed a bit, but he definitely was able to score some goals for those teams. I don't know what to think about that Washington team last season. It seems like they just didn't click for most of the year... maybe Knuble really has fallen pretty far between 2011 and 2012, but it may just be due to the type of game Washington has begun playing, and how much different things were as the system changed.

Odds are he's done. I guess he'd be a nice replacement for Holmstrom, but it seems kind of counterproductive to use a guy like Knuble if he's not on a scoring line. As a 4th liner, is he really going to come at it hard at 40 years old playing 8 minutes per game? I just don't know.. it seems like Holmstrom 2012 v2.

17. The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era The Captain is Home!

Looked painfully slow to me tonight, still has good hands and decision making but he doesn't look to fit in anywhere with this group and our system. Factor in the guys he is competing with for that depth role and I just have a hard time seeing why they would sign him. If he will accept a GR role then maybe if we find out Franzen is a disaster in front of the net on the power play and suffer a ton of injuries he could find his way up, but if what his agent said was true about other options than this isn't going to work out in my opinion.

18. Brodie

Brodie workers of the world unite

He's from the Grand Rapids area, so he might be happy to epilogue his career at home.

19. Spitfire11

Spitfire11 Registered User

Fixed

20. BTCG

BTCG Registered User

I would. Been a Cap's season ticket holder since meeting my wife during the SCF's (she came here with the Wash Caps fan club) and moving to Bethesda a year or so later when we decided to do the Brady Bunch thing. I've watched MK skate these last few years, and he's not only faster, he's motivated to be the first one in his opponents zone with the puck.

If he's got anything left, he'd be a good post-season addition. Real character guy.

And recall: he was the "player to be named later" when we got Koucer back from the Ran-jars.

21. TatarTangle

TatarTangle Registered User

Sergei Samsonov comes into my work, asked him today why he wasn't at camp because they offered Knuble a try-out. He laughed and said doesn't know why because they're stacked up front.

22. JmanWingsFan

JmanWingsFan Your average Jman

Which Is why I wouldn't mind seeing Knuble in a Wings Jersey for a while if there are injuries. He's right handed, hard working, can actually play in the top six as opposed to weighing it down ala Todd Bertuzzi. People forget that before last year, Knuble was scoring 20+ goals a season (25+ plus excluding the 10-11 Season) well into his late 30's. I would have rather have him over Samuelsson. This guy definitely would have made Detroit that more dangerous had we been able to keep him and not lose him to waivers due to expansion draft.

23. joe89

joe89 #5

Bob Duff @asktheduffer
    Mike Knuble to sign PTO with #AHL Grand Rapids. Would still be FA available to all #NHL teams.

24. Funky Cold Zadina

Funky Cold Zadina Registered User

Thank god! Leaves a place (albeit on the 3rd/4th line) for a young call-up.

25. InjuredChoker

InjuredChoker Registered User

There you have it guys. Kenny ain't so bad. Didn't sign Lilja OR Knuble. He still has it.