Mike Knuble on Try-Out

crashman

To retread this topic, I'd rather they just re-sign Holmstrom over signing Knuble, seeing as they're both basically only useful for veteran leadership and planting themselves in front of the net.

I wouldn't be against signing Knuble if the team didn't already have too many forwards, but there's just no room for a guy like him.

Wish we would have brought him back about 5 years ago, I've always liked the guy.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
To retread this topic, I'd rather they just re-sign Holmstrom over signing Knuble, seeing as they're both basically only useful for veteran leadership and planting themselves in front of the net.

I wouldn't be against signing Knuble if the team didn't already have too many forwards, but there's just no room for a guy like him.

Wish we would have brought him back about 5 years ago, I've always liked the guy.

I'm sure they offered Holmstrom the same - they did with Maltby, Draper, etc. Homer apparently didn't want to play for GR and knew that this offer didn't have an NHL spot on the other end of it.

Everybody is being completely hysterical about this. He's not on the team. He's not going to make the team. He's almost certainly never going to see the team.

Everybody needs to just cooooool out.

will-ferrell-20080228043045302.jpg

Actually, I'd rather have a guy like Knuble as the 23rd guy on the roster - any of the younger guys that would be in that spot (EMMERTON) should either be in GR playing 18 minutes a night, or should be traded away because they're useless (EMMERTON). Regardless, Knuble will not be on the roster, so everybody can calm the hell down about it.

Keep%2Bcalm%2Band%2Bbacon.jpg

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Knuble is like Holmstrom, only not as good parked in front, but better at scoring goals in the slot. He could be a PP ringer who just plays on the 4th line. I honestly wouldn't be upset to have him for this shortened season rotating with a young guy as 13th forward. Would rather have Knuble than Samuelsson.

Kiddington

Nov 3, 2008
Reno, NV
To be totally honest, I actually wouldn't mind having him on the team over Emmerton at this point. I mean, could he really be any worse than that?

...not that it even matters, though. Barring a trade, he stands about the same odds of making the Wings roster as I do. Just too many depth forwards of that ilk already.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
I can't wait for the season to start and for this BS argument to come to an end. He won't make the team, he doesn't add anything to the roster (if only veteran presence/leadership). He won't play in the AHL either. It's a tryout contract meaning he'll participate in scrims and might bring some additional support for youngsters. That's how I see it.

People are blowing this **** way out of proportion. I'll believe it when it happens.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I can't wait for the season to start and for this BS argument to come to an end. He won't make the team, he doesn't add anything to the roster (if only veteran presence/leadership). He won't play in the AHL either. It's a tryout contract meaning he'll participate in scrims and might bring some additional support for youngsters. That's how I see it.

People are blowing this **** way out of proportion. I'll believe it when it happens.

He might go to GR if he expects to be one of the first call-ups, and there are situations where I'd rather see that be Knuble than Nyquist/Tatar. If someone like Miller goes down, and they want to bring someone else to essentially ride the bench and provide extra depth for injuries in practice or to play every third game, a guy like Knuble would be ideal for that.

Avery Rule

Jun 1, 2010
hm... looks like what I said in that off season thread is coming true :D Knuble to the Wings... now to see this place when he gets his 1 year deal lol

JBauerly97

Jan 8, 2013
Coldwater, MI
Somebody refresh my memory, but wasn't this guy kind of a stud for Washington within the last few years? Or did the fans just make him out to be better than he was while there?

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
FWIW I was told Knuble would like to return to the Wings this offseason.

His wife is from Grand Rapids and they'd like to move closer to her family. I have a really good friend who played with Knuble at Michigan, they're still good friends and Knuble told him he'd like to come back to the Wings.

Ha, posted this back on 4/22/12.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Somebody refresh my memory, but wasn't this guy kind of a stud for Washington within the last few years? Or did the fans just make him out to be better than he was while there?
imo, he was really good in a role like bertuzzi and homer for both washington and philadelphia (but clearly better defensively), but is now 40 years old.

flyers' fans here used a phrase "knubled" to mean ending a PP by taking a dumb penalty, which holmstrom also did many, many times.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
Knuble was a pretty good player in Washington. He played with some pretty talented, high scoring teams, so maybe his numbers were skewed a bit, but he definitely was able to score some goals for those teams. I don't know what to think about that Washington team last season. It seems like they just didn't click for most of the year... maybe Knuble really has fallen pretty far between 2011 and 2012, but it may just be due to the type of game Washington has begun playing, and how much different things were as the system changed.

Odds are he's done. I guess he'd be a nice replacement for Holmstrom, but it seems kind of counterproductive to use a guy like Knuble if he's not on a scoring line. As a 4th liner, is he really going to come at it hard at 40 years old playing 8 minutes per game? I just don't know.. it seems like Holmstrom 2012 v2.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Looked painfully slow to me tonight, still has good hands and decision making but he doesn't look to fit in anywhere with this group and our system. Factor in the guys he is competing with for that depth role and I just have a hard time seeing why they would sign him. If he will accept a GR role then maybe if we find out Franzen is a disaster in front of the net on the power play and suffer a ton of injuries he could find his way up, but if what his agent said was true about other options than this isn't going to work out in my opinion.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
I wouldn't say Knuble's skating is much better than Homer's. He does come with a right hand shot and doesn't carry Homer's Referee Bullseye, though.

He's not going to make the team. Calm down.

I would. Been a Cap's season ticket holder since meeting my wife during the SCF's (she came here with the Wash Caps fan club) and moving to Bethesda a year or so later when we decided to do the Brady Bunch thing. I've watched MK skate these last few years, and he's not only faster, he's motivated to be the first one in his opponents zone with the puck.

If he's got anything left, he'd be a good post-season addition. Real character guy.

And recall: he was the "player to be named later" when we got Koucer back from the Ran-jars.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Sergei Samsonov comes into my work, asked him today why he wasn't at camp because they offered Knuble a try-out. He laughed and said doesn't know why because they're stacked up front.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
I would. Been a Cap's season ticket holder since meeting my wife during the SCF's (she came here with the Wash Caps fan club) and moving to Bethesda a year or so later when we decided to do the Brady Bunch thing. I've watched MK skate these last few years, and he's not only faster, he's motivated to be the first one in his opponents zone with the puck.

If he's got anything left, he'd be a good post-season addition. Real character guy.

And recall: he was the "player to be named later" when we got Koucer back from the Ran-jars.

Which Is why I wouldn't mind seeing Knuble in a Wings Jersey for a while if there are injuries. He's right handed, hard working, can actually play in the top six as opposed to weighing it down ala Todd Bertuzzi. People forget that before last year, Knuble was scoring 20+ goals a season (25+ plus excluding the 10-11 Season) well into his late 30's. I would have rather have him over Samuelsson. This guy definitely would have made Detroit that more dangerous had we been able to keep him and not lose him to waivers due to expansion draft.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Bob Duff @asktheduffer
Mike Knuble to sign PTO with #AHL Grand Rapids. Would still be FA available to all #NHL teams.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames
As reported earlier, F Mike Knuble not on Red Wings roster. Will sign PTO and go to Grand Rapids, free to sign with any NHL team interested.

Thank god! Leaves a place (albeit on the 3rd/4th line) for a young call-up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad