Mike Knuble on Try-Out

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I said both sides of it... I'm not saying that it's a bad idea to invite Knuble to camp. I view it as an opportunity to potentially improve the offense. I said at the end of my post that he's a big guy who shoots right handed, which are two things Detroit wants to have on their roster. I also know that he likes to shoot the puck, which is another thing Detroit wants on their roster. I apologize for sounding not so chill.

Yeah, he is kind of 3 inches bigger right-handed Holmström, who has healthy knees and can actually skate.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
With the possibility of a trade coming, Knuble as a depth forward could be a good addition to the team. Even if he spends most of the games in the press box, his experience, age and leadership would bring a lot to the table. Let's say Emmerton and Mursak are dealt, Eaves, Cleary and Franzén injured (not unlikely). In that case Knuble would be a useful piece.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Brunner
Nyquist - Filppula - Samuelsson
Miller - Helm - Bertuzzi
Knuble - Abdelkader - Tootoo
Sheehan - Tatar

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
Relax guys. We all know Knuble has been practicing with Grand Rapids almost all season. He asked for a tryout and you guys are acting like Holland gave him a 3 year deal. It's not going to hurt having an experienced NHL at camp to show a lot of new guys how to act. There's a less than 1% chance he's actually signed for anything less than an AHL deal.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Pittsburgh and Boston were also interested in him.

But this time we have the Michigan wife (they moved to Grand Rapids) and Knuble preferred the Wings.

You can't beat the family. ;)

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Relax guys. We all know Knuble has been practicing with Grand Rapids almost all season. He asked for a tryout and you guys are acting like Holland gave him a 3 year deal. It's not going to hurt having an experienced NHL at camp to show a lot of new guys how to act. There's a less than 1% chance he's actually signed for anything less than an AHL deal.

i'm not worried about him making the actual NHL team out of camp,I don't think Holland's THAT delusional

what i'm worried about is that if he's down in the AHL I honestly think he would end up being called up instead of Tatar in the event of an injury

this youth movements going badly enough as it is without signing washed up 40 year olds to be injury replacements

can't be worse then modano

Modano could have worked out pretty well if not for that fluke injury

he never really gelled with the team,he was starting to then bam

lazerbullet

May 22, 2009
Europe
Pittsburgh and Boston were also interested in him.

But this time we have the Michigan wife (they moved to Grand Rapids) and Knuble preferred the Wings.

You can't beat the family. ;)

I guess Red Wings should hire a bunch of Michigan girls to recruit potential UFAs. They can start with Malkin.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Yeah, he is kind of 3 inches bigger right-handed Holmström, who has healthy knees and can actually skate.

I wouldn't say Knuble's skating is much better than Homer's. He does come with a right hand shot and doesn't carry Homer's Referee Bullseye, though.

WTF is wrong with holland bringing back old n washed veterans (many that has previous played for the wings as well).... DAMMIT

He's not going to make the team. Calm down.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Everyone rolled their eyes when Ken Holland brought in Dan Cleary, Andrea Lilja, and Mikael Samuelsson back in 2005 for a try out, too.

None of those guys were 40 years old so I highly doubt people got worked up much if at all. This makes no sense, not even on a GR team that has been awesome lately. What, is Knuble going to replace Brendan Smith?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/0...-wings/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

“The bottom line is you can show people how you’re playing and show that you might be an option down the line. I think you’re really going to need depth guys this year. With guys going from absolutely stop to 100 per cent, there’s going to be guys dropping. You’re definitely going to have to go get help.â€

This is the thing. They prepare for injuries and want as large group of guys you can get.

RedWingsNow*

Does anyone think a guy of Knuble's ability won't be available at the drop of a hat if we ran into an injury bug?

Here's a list of guys STILL unsigned.

is 4th line depth so important that you're willing to trash your future?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Does anyone think a guy of Knuble's ability won't be available at the drop of a hat if we ran into an injury bug?

Here's a list of guys STILL unsigned.

is 4th line depth so important that you're willing to trash your future?

Do you think Knuble at camp is going to in any way affect whether or not a prospect makes the team?

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
They're probably just doing Knuble a favor... sort of like when Cloutier tried out a few years ago. Not sure why everyone's freaking out.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
Yeah, not sure what everyone's worry is. This season is gonna be very intense, it'll be good to have an extra guy on board. Knuble brings lots of experience, even if he's not as good anymore obviously, but I don't think he's gonna steal anyone's spot or whatever.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Never seen such a massive overreaction to a camp invite as this. I mean it's not like he's going to make this roster over Emmerton or Mursak. He's basically playing for an AHL contract at best and more likely playing to try and get a contract from a different team (a la Brent Sopel).

RedWingsNow*

Even if Nyquist makes the NHL...

You've got the following guys under contract in the minors;
Tatar, Sheahan Jurco
Pare Ferraro Andersson
Parkes LM Aubry Grant
Nestrasil Coatzee...

I don't see why we want to bump kids to the ECHL to give some old guy a retirement job.
Knuble doesn't help this team. You could call up Sheahan, Andersson or Tatar or Ferraro

It's Ken Holland -- doing his trash heap "gang's all here" routine.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
vvGRt.jpg

ThankYouBasedGod

Oct 25, 2010
Saskatoon
Even if Nyquist makes the NHL...

You've got the following guys under contract in the minors;
Tatar, Sheahan Jurco
Pare Ferraro Andersson
Parkes LM Aubry Grant
Nestrasil Coatzee...

I don't see why we want to bump kids to the ECHL to give some old guy a retirement job.
Knuble doesn't help this team. You could call up Sheahan, Andersson or Tatar or Ferraro

It's Ken Holland -- doing his trash heap "gang's all here" routine.

I must have missed the news that this means Knuble is getting a contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad