Confirmed with Link: Mike Johnston HC, Tocchet AC, Martin ??|Penguins Hire Headless Body of Gary Agnew

Status
Not open for further replies.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Well, we've certainly got change now. He reads well, and I like his breakout thought process; hopefully he's a hit and not a dud. Draft up next.

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
Don't know anything about him. I would have thought we could have found an established NHL coach.

Seems like he is acting like Pete Carrol. He kind of screwed over Portland and bailed. Portland won't have a first round pick until 2018 because of all of the rule violations.

The violations were pretty apparent.

I don't like this hire.

Well that's the shock of the morning.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Well, I like it better than all the remaining candidates.

If nothing else, it should be fun to see how his firewagon junior offense translates to the bigs.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Don't know anything about him. I would have thought we could have found an established NHL coach.

Seems like he is acting like Pete Carrol. He kind of screwed over Portland and bailed. Portland won't have a first round pick until 2018 because of all of the rule violations.

I don't like this hire.

If the results for Johnston's new team are like the results Carroll got, then I like it.

Then again, I don't like speedy Matt Moulson, so what do I know?

Well that's the shock of the morning.

And the most encouraging sign yet that it may have been a good hire.

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
https://twitter.com/MarkMaddenX

Mark Madden @MarkMaddenX · 47s
Mike Johnston seems a good hire. No complaints. He &Tocchet will be a good combination.

Mark Madden @MarkMaddenX · Jun 24
I don't think an AHL coach was the answer. I certainly don't think a Jr A coach is the answer. Mike Johnston? Coaching Sid& Geno? Good luck.

:laugh:

Consistency has never been Madden's strong suit, besides being consistently stupid.

I'm ok with this hiring

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
I don't know how it's going to work out, but he's hired a coach who's going to try to ride this team's strengths as the way to mitigate its weaknesses. This is safe is death hockey. When we talked about Ron Wilson, it's what he tried to do in Toronto. Gonna be quite the roller coaster, but, you know what, it's going to be a roller coaster designed to leverage, rather than mitigate, Sid and Geno. We'll see . . .

You know, when guys like this and Gentille basically are saying 'you know, it might have been ugly getting there, but this may have worked out for the Pens in the end', I'm a little encouraged.

https://twitter.com/JSportsnet
John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet 4m
Just landed...Mike Johnston to be next coach of Pittsburgh Penguins. In the end, Rutherford got a perfect fit for his team.

Watching some of those Portland games on FSN Pittsburgh, he did let his best horses roam free but I would rather have someone doing that instead of trying to find minutes for Joe Vitale, Chris Conner and Craig Adams at the expense of the big names.

Fire Shero*

I will give him a chance. But this run and gun offense might burn us with #29 in net. Get Sid a winger for christs sake if this is your plan.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Good hire or bad hire, who can really say. You will know by 1/1/15. If this guy is all about up-tempo offensive style hockey, then that is good news and should be the end of no offense SCUDS.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
https://twitter.com/MarkMaddenX

Mark Madden @MarkMaddenX · 47s
Mike Johnston seems a good hire. No complaints. He &Tocchet will be a good combination.

Mark Madden @MarkMaddenX · Jun 24
I don't think an AHL coach was the answer. I certainly don't think a Jr A coach is the answer. Mike Johnston? Coaching Sid& Geno? Good luck.

:laugh:

The Pittsburgh media. That about sums it up.

penguins2946*

I will give him a chance. But this run and gun offense might burn us with #29 in net. Get Sid a winger for christs sake if this is your plan.

The new all offense system won't stop Fleury from letting in goals from behind the net and on wrist shots from the blue line. He's actually not bad on breakaways and odd man breaks.

Fire Shero*

People seem to forget that he developed Seth Jones as well. So he can coach defense.

Right and Michel Therrien developed Crosby and Malkin.

I hate that argument. These players would have developed into great players regardless of who coached them.

MurphyDump

Dec 22, 2010

I don't like this hire.

You'd rather have a retread like Wilson, Renney, or Crawford? Roger that. :help:

Screwed over Portland and bailed? He brought that franchise back from the dumps and saved them. Screwed them? How do you know those violations were his idea? It could have been ownership for all we know, but Johnston takes the fall as the GM and coach. They've been nothing but successful since he's been there.

These violations have ZERO to do with his coaching and I'm not sure why anyone even brings them up.

I'd be willing to bet that 99% of junior coaches would leave their job for an NHL club. Hunter didn't, but he also owns the Knights.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I am very excited knowing that fire Shero doesn't like the hire.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Right and Michel Therrien developed Crosby and Malkin.

I hate that argument. These players would have developed into great players regardless of who coached them.

Who would you have like the team to hire (Boucher wasn't available)?

Fire Shero*

I am happy Tocchet will be an assistant coach.

Players will listen to him, not that Jonnston fella.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Tocchet as an assistant and Johnston as the HC. Really happy with this. I liked the quote Kirk posted from John Shannon about how in the end Rutherford still got a perfect fit for his team. We got a good X's and O's offensive coach that fits perfect with Crosby, Malkin, Letang etc. and we finally got that bad cop in here with Tocchet.

Fire Shero*

Who would you have like the team to hire (Boucher wasn't available)?

I'm not criticizing Johnston- but praising him for developing seth jones seems like a stretch. I hate how coaches get credit for developing world class players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad