Player Discussion Mike Hoffman - (The $5.2 Million Dollar Man)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He really is the best option in that scenario. High skill guy who is coveted by other teams. Good luck trying to offload Ryan or Phaneufs contracts. No one is taking a year and a half of Burrows. The high paid guys are the players that are untradeable

Sure he is more trade-able... He is low hanging fruit.. if you absolutely needed to make a quick move.. he's movable quickly. I would rather see them retain some on P9 and Ryan and try their damnedest to move them first.

Reactions: Alex1234

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Yeah, that's not Ice-tray's argument. At least not his whole argument.

Hoffman can be lazy, but I think you are exaggerating it. He tries a lot actually, the problem is an age old one. Skilled players are often labeled as lazy because people have a perception of what their skill level is at, and expect 100% output like that. I do not find Hoffman lazier than other players on the team.

Please provide me with some concrete examples where he's lazy because I fail to see them. He's not scoring. But I don't think that's due to his effort output. He's had 32 shots in the last 10 games. That's more than 3 per game. He's had scoring chances, and gets back to play defense. He made a mistake on the first BOS goal, but I don't think that's due to effort. It's more of a bad defensive decision.

Honestly, does this new site allow you to post videos or pictures from your phone? I record every game. I will eventually show examples of plays where Hoffman tries hard. Then I will show you plays where he doesn't. And you can then answer why he isn't trying hard in those plays.

I know the old site was way behind the times with mobile/user friendly stuff like uploading pictures/video from your picture folders like on FB,Instagram, Snapchat etc.

I can easily provide you some examples on YouTube of Hoffman trying hard by skating like a mad man and blowing by people and scoring. Then if this site let's me upload my videos I'll record the game tonight and show you every time Hoffman gets the puck with space but instead of skating with motivation he slows the play down and dumps it in or just passes the puck away and looks disinterested.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Calendar Year Scoring

Although there’s no award or implication to go along with it, it’s fun to look back at the end of the calendar year and see who led the Sens in scoring (save for the two games today and tomorrow (actually yesterday and today)). Here is the current top ten:
Screen_Shot_2017_12_29_at_9.13.19_AM.png

Let's see we don't want to trade Karlsson... who's next on the list

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Yeah, that's not Ice-tray's argument. At least not his whole argument.

Hoffman can be lazy, but I think you are exaggerating it. He tries a lot actually, the problem is an age old one. Skilled players are often labeled as lazy because people have a perception of what their skill level is at, and expect 100% output like that. I do not find Hoffman lazier than other players on the team.

Please provide me with some concrete examples where he's lazy because I fail to see them. He's not scoring. But I don't think that's due to his effort output. He's had 32 shots in the last 10 games. That's more than 3 per game. He's had scoring chances, and gets back to play defense. He made a mistake on the first BOS goal, but I don't think that's due to effort. It's more of a bad defensive decision.

why do you always write in such a way that your opinion is correct and other's opinions wrong?

if you want concrete examples of Hoffman being lazy. .... watch a few Senator games. if you cannot see an inkling of what many people are saying, including me, then my advice would be to examine your own views rather than suspect orher-s views.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Sure he is more trade-able... He is low hanging fruit.. if you absolutely needed to make a quick move.. he's movable quickly. I would rather see them retain some on P9 and Ryan and try their damnedest to move them first.

I get that Ryan and Phaneuf are not playing to their contracts and it makes them easy targets (since the start of the playoffs Ryan is pacing above 50 points btw). I think there is a lot of good in both on several fronts.

if we are going to retool and go with a lot of younger players next season the LAST guy on this team I'd like to see them exposed to is Hoffman.

Lazy is not an attribute you want young guys exposed to. I've seen him sulk and show up Cameron. He won't hit people. He won't get in first on the forecheck and battle because he doesn' like the physicality of it. There is nothing about him you want a young player to model himself after. Hoffman's lone attribute is an all star calibre shot and showing it off isn't something a kid can aspire to.

He's always been able to skate. Always able to shoot. Those are huge assets. With those assets, why did it take him so long to establish himself? IMO because in just about every other respect he's a lousy pro.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Calendar Year Scoring

Although there’s no award or implication to go along with it, it’s fun to look back at the end of the calendar year and see who led the Sens in scoring (save for the two games today and tomorrow (actually yesterday and today)). Here is the current top ten:
Screen_Shot_2017_12_29_at_9.13.19_AM.png

Let's see we don't want to trade Karlsson... who's next on the list

Does that include the playoffs?

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I don't really get why the same posters who relentlessly criticize some players, the owner, the coach and management will die on a hill when Duchene or Hoffman aren't producing and sometimes outright sucking.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
why do you always write in such a way that your opinion is correct and other's opinions wrong?

if you want concrete examples of Hoffman being lazy. .... watch a few Senator games. if you cannot see an inkling of what many people are saying, including me, then my advice would be to examine your own views rather than suspect orher-s views.

Looks like there is a couple posters who have a thing against Hoffman and can't stay objective. I don't see many here. Is Hoffman lazy sometimes. Sure. Is he more lazy than other players like Dzingel, Bobby, Karlsson, Phaneuf or Smith. No.

I watch all the games. I hate lazy players. But I understand you can't play at 100% all the time. You don't like Hoffman, so you nit-pick. If you are so concerned with laziness then maybe Karlsson should be the first on your list. Because he plays a very similar game to Hoffman.

Honestly, does this new site allow you to post videos or pictures from your phone? I record every game. I will eventually show examples of plays where Hoffman tries hard. Then I will show you plays where he doesn't. And you can then answer why he isn't trying hard in those plays.

I know the old site was way behind the times with mobile/user friendly stuff like uploading pictures/video from your picture folders like on FB,Instagram, Snapchat etc.

I can easily provide you some examples on YouTube of Hoffman trying hard by skating like a mad man and blowing by people and scoring. Then if this site let's me upload my videos I'll record the game tonight and show you every time Hoffman gets the puck with space but instead of skating with motivation he slows the play down and dumps it in or just passes the puck away and looks disinterested.

No idea how to do vids on this site. This site is shite to be honest.

Great, let me see it. But some parameters. Not every play is played at 100% effort. Also, have a look at other players as well, not just Hoffman. You will find some instances where he coasts, but not more so than others on the team. After all, Boucher is a coach that demands effort, so you would think he would curtail his ice if he thought he was dogging it. No?

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Then if this site let's me upload my videos

Soooo, it was a piss poor effort by the Sens tonight. I'm assuming Hoffman was at the forefront of that with his lazy play. I'm looking forward to your highlight. Or in this case lowlights.

why is it that you are objective and those that think he's lazy are not?

You're right I could be wrong. But I've watched a lot of hockey, and I keep a level head. I see some instances of laziness, but nothing more so than other players on the team. While your posts reek of bias.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I have always said that Hoffman is a perimeter player & when he is scoring everyone is fine with it, but when he isn't people begin to notice the deficiencies in his game. But I don't think moving a pure goal scorer is the answer here when they have a number of Boucher Boys on this team who should be the first ones moved by the deadline. Very little this coach has done this yr has worked & if the players haven't stopped listening to him he certainly looks like he doesn't know what to do to change it. He's implemented a system that isn't working & has no Plan B, but there are so many key players on this team who just suck this yr & injuries haven't helped. Time to rebuild IMO.

Reactions: Cosmix

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Soooo, it was a piss poor effort by the Sens tonight. I'm assuming Hoffman was at the forefront of that with his lazy play. I'm looking forward to your highlight. Or in this case lowlights.

You're right I could be wrong. But I've watched a lot of hockey, and I keep a level head. I see some instances of laziness, but nothing more so than other players on the team. While your posts reek of bias.

How do I upload a video from my phone?

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Other players make defensive mistakes and are crucified. Hoffman is a legitimate liability? "OH YOU ARE NOT BEING OBJECTIVE". LOL. Some of the people on this board.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Other players make defensive mistakes and are crucified. Hoffman is a legitimate liability? "OH YOU ARE NOT BEING OBJECTIVE". LOL. Some of the people on this board.

Haha, now he's a "legitimate liability". This the exact hyperbole I'm talking about.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I've watched a lot of hockey too. you want to discuss our dad's and who'd win a fight?

As I posted already....Hoffman's inability / unwillingness to play the game properly with attention to the little things resulted in him not being a regular nhler until he was almost 25 years old. it resulted in him being placed on waivers and clearing waivers as a 23 year old. And it's resulted in him playing top 9 minutes instead on top 6 minutes under two different coaches.

it's not an issue of you could be wrong. you are wrong. The way Hoffman plays is generally not acceptable to NHL coaches and it's really limited his effectiveness as a pro hockey player.

90 % of NHL players would kill to have his speed.

98 % of NHL players would kill to shoot the puck like he does.

Stone talking last night about guys not playing the ight way. At the top of that list to me is Hoffman.

Feel free to tell me how you know more about hockey than I do. Frankly I'll certainly accept that as a 50 / 50 possibility.

But try to explain how Hoffman with his skating and his shot couldn't secure a pro job until he was 25. I won't hold my breath waiting for that explanation.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I've watched a lot of hockey too. you want to discuss our dad's and who'd win a fight?

As I posted already....Hoffman's inability / unwillingness to play the game properly with attention to the little things resulted in him not being a regular nhler until he was almost 25 years old. it resulted in him being placed on waivers and clearing waivers as a 23 year old. And it's resulted in him playing top 9 minutes instead on top 6 minutes under two different coaches.

it's not an issue of you could be wrong. you are wrong. The way Hoffman plays is generally not acceptable to NHL coaches and it's really limited his effectiveness as a pro hockey player.

Stone talking last night about guys not playing the ight way. At the top of that list to me is Hoffman.

Feel free to tell me how you know more about hockey than I do. Frankly I'll certainly accept that as a 50 / 50 possibility.

But try to explain how Hoffman with his skating and his shot couldn't secure a pro job until he was 25. I won't hold my breath waiting for that explanation.
Lack of playing the dirty game that produces wins ,he is absolutely terrible at board play.He wants the easy shot from the slot ,but isnt willing to work the puck there to get it

Reactions: Ice-Tray

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Lack of playing the dirty game that produces wins ,he is absolutely terrible at board play.He wants the easy shot from the slot ,but isnt willing to work the puck there to get it
100 % bang on.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
100 % bang on.
Why we see guys like Pyatt and burrows smith etc in the top 6 We are a terrible board team ,which is why we cant win despite having some skilled forwards.All of them are better off the rush

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

Well, my dad is dead so unless your dad wants to fight a zombie, no dice.

No, that's not what happened. If you look at Hoffman's career it takes him a while to adjust to whatever level he plays at. It took him a while to figure out the QMJHL. It took him a while to figure out the AHL. And it took him a season to figure out the NHL. But once he did, he was a scoring machine.

And he absolutely plays top 6 minutes. Another bad argument.

He seems to be in high demand and our coach plays him a lot so that throws your "not acceptable to NHL coaches" argument. Nice try though.

So you think Stone was talking about Hoffman? Well to me it was our defense that can't break out. Our PK who can't stop the puck from going into the net. Forwards who seem lost, and goalies that forgot how to stop the puck. That's not only Hoffman. That's pretty much every one.

Of course Hoffman is on top of your list. You are biased. We already established that.

Already explained that it takes Hoffman a while to adjust to the league. Yeah, his defensive game is not the greatest, but it's not the worst either. It's somewhere in between.

Funny that you and others talk about him being liability and coaches can't trust him. Yet he played the second most time last game from all the forwards. Only player higher was Stone.

Reactions: aragorn

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Pretty much most of the top 6 TBH.You would have thought after watching Pittsburgh we would have learned something,they were the best board playing team i have seen in a long time .They win almost every puck battle

That's what jumps out at me most while watching the Sens play. The opposition outmans them. Whenever there is a loose puck a senator isn't the closest. Puck battles on the boards they are always down a guy. Almost Everytime.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Well, my dad is dead so unless your dad wants to fight a zombie, no dice.

No, that's not what happened. If you look at Hoffman's career it takes him a while to adjust to whatever level he plays at. It took him a while to figure out the QMJHL. It took him a while to figure out the AHL. And it took him a season to figure out the NHL. But once he did, he was a scoring machine.

And he absolutely plays top 6 minutes. Another bad argument.

He seems to be in high demand and our coach plays him a lot so that throws your "not acceptable to NHL coaches" argument. Nice try though.

So you think Stone was talking about Hoffman? Well to me it was our defense that can't break out. Our PK who can't stop the puck from going into the net. Forwards who seem lost, and goalies that forgot how to stop the puck. That's not only Hoffman. That's pretty much every one.

Of course Hoffman is on top of your list. You are biased. We already established that.

Already explained that it takes Hoffman a while to adjust to the league. Yeah, his defensive game is not the greatest, but it's not the worst either. It's somewhere in between.

Funny that you and others talk about him being liability and coaches can't trust him. Yet he played the second most time last game from all the forwards. Only player higher was Stone.

he does get a ton of ice. it's mostly with Pageau and Pyatt 5 on 5 and it's been like that since Boucher arrived.

I'm biased....WE didn't establish that....you did

your explanation of it taking him until he was 25 to become a regular NHL player is .... lacking....they are superficial statements that display nothing more than your own lack of understanding

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad