Mike Hoffman is 3rd in average ice time for sens forwards

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
People can infer that. I also think it shows just how important he's becoming to the forward core. He might end up being the best forward in ottawa

I think Stone is the best OVERALL forward in Ottawa if he can regain his scoring touch, could be the softmore jinx. Hoffman is the best goal scorer for sure. Stone is the best defensively because of all the steals & he is also an excellent passer. If he can start scoring again that would be the total package, as he was doin last yr at this time.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Well I guess there goes one of the "Cameron is terrible GTFO" crowd's arguments out the window

or that cameron finally realized that nothing else was working

or camerons job was/is on the line

or the monkey cameron uses to help make the lines picked correctly this one time

cameron is still pretty bad and if saying he is decent for doing something he should have been doing already and consistently is the standard then we are in trouble

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
He has some bad habits that i can see why they'd piss a coach off a bit. Leaves the zone early, gets on the wrong side of the d, etc.

But he's just to damned good not to play.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't see DC as being much different than any other coach, look at what Vigneault was doing today with some odd choices on his PP & benching a few star players. When I look at other teams they all seem to play a similar game to the Sens. I think the difference is execution & playing the way the Sens did today (the right way) every game for the entire game would make them a much better team but can they do that, is it even possible? The best teams do it, not every game but more often than not which is pretty hard over an 82 game schedule.

They also need some puck luck & some nights you have it & some nights you don't, some nights pucks go in off the back of the goalie & some nights they don't. Some nights the opposing defenceman gives you (Pageau) a gift with an open net & most nights they don't. With the salary cap & parity in the league it is difficult to afford to have 20 very good players on your roster unless a number of them are quite young & performing at an elite level like Larkin in Detroit. Hopefully Ottawa will get their soon within the next few yrs but staying there will be even tougher but they have to be harder to play against than they have been.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
I don't see DC as being much different than any other coach, look at what Vigneault was doing today with some odd choices on his PP & benching a few star players. When I look at other teams they all seem to play a similar game to the Sens. I think the difference is execution & playing the way the Sens did today (the right way) every game for the entire game would make them a much better team but can they do that, is it even possible? The best teams do it, not every game but more often than not which is pretty hard over an 82 game schedule.

They also need some puck luck & some nights you have it & some nights you don't, some nights pucks go in off the back of the goalie & some nights they don't. Some nights the opposing defenceman gives you (Pageau) a gift with an open net & most nights they don't. With the salary cap & parity in the league it is difficult to afford to have 20 very good players on your roster unless a number of them are quite young & performing at an elite level like Larkin in Detroit. Hopefully Ottawa will get their soon within the next few yrs but staying there will be even tougher but they have to be harder to play against than they have been.
Yes, we badly need a couple of young players playing at an elite level like Hoffman or Stone. Too bad we don't have any. :dunno:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
or that cameron finally realized that nothing else was working

or camerons job was/is on the line

or the monkey cameron uses to help make the lines picked correctly this one time

cameron is still pretty bad and if saying he is decent for doing something he should have been doing already and consistently is the standard then we are in trouble

Now I might be wrong but since the OP states that Hoffman's ice-time is lower than Turris, who did not play today, I think OP means for the total ice-time this season so far.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That stat for the entire season?

It sure seems like Hoff was spending a ton of time warming the bench this year, compared to a lot of our guys.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Now I might be wrong but since the OP states that Hoffman's ice-time is lower than Turris, who did not play today, I think OP means for the total ice-time this season so far.

Avg ice time per game for the whole season.Doesnt account for scratches or injuries but would account for a games where a player played 5 mins and got hurt or benched. filter the sens roster by ice time per game

Hoffman 17:53 per game played
Stone 20:09
Turris 20:23
Ryan 17:37
Zibby 17:22
Michalek 16:48
He basically gets the same amount of shifts as Ryan but stays on the ice longer

Last edited:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Are you saying that the "Hoffman getting shafted for TOI" moaning was just another storm in a glass of water? :rolleyes:

As mentioned right above your post, it's the lack of PP time that has mostly been criticized, justifiably so IMO.

I imagine he would have many more goals/points should he have been put on the top unit consistently for a while now.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Yeah, it's not the ice time, it's the deployment. We played a great game against NYR, except for one thing. The PP stank for the most part. Hoffman should be playing on the first unit, and be on the left of the umbrella. That's when we were dangerous. We had 2 lethal options with Hoffman and Karlsson. Michalek, Smith and now Zib does not work.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
As mentioned right above your post, it's the lack of PP time that has mostly been criticized, justifiably so IMO.

I imagine he would have many more goals/points should he have been put on the top unit consistently for a while now.

The informed posters have been doing that, but I have read many times about a lack of ice time in general too. But it was more towards the beginning of the year though, so maybe the situation changed a lot. I didn't kept track of it, because to be honest, it's not that important.

The problem I see is that our #2nd PP is not good enough (particularly on defense) so we have to make it stronger somehow and Hoffman has been used for that probably

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Just took a look out of curiosity. In the last 2 seasons (2014-16), Hoffman is 4rth in 5 on 5 goals behind only these guys:

Tarasenko (40)
Seguin (39)
Ovechkin (38)
Hoffman (35)

That's pretty damn impressive. He's also 4rth in goals/60 at 5 on 5 behind Rick Nash, Tarasenko and Seguin.

If you look at Goals/60 in every situation (5 on 5, PP, PK, 4 on 4, etc..) he's 7th in the league behind Ovy, Tarasenko, Seguin, Nash, Perry, Kane.

Do we really realize how good Hoffman is? He's one of the best goal scorer in the entire league.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Good time to bump this thread.

Hoffman gets plenty of ice time when he's not being an idiot.

He was being once last night, so he got 13 minutes

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He was being an idiot last night, a lot of hogging the puck and really bizarre decisions that led to some nasty turnovers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad