Mike Hoffman 15 goals

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
7 in his last 11.

Flash in the pan, or real deal?

Yes I know its early.

I made a poll a few days ago asking if he was the real deal. 50/50 if you remove sens fans i'd say.

Probably one of the best skaters in the NHL, has a nice release and accurate shot. Gerrard Gallant compared his shot to Brett Hull. He has the ability to be an elite player in terms of skill and speed but the question many sens fans posed was whether he could think the game well enough to become something. Crazy to think 29 gms passed over him on waivers last year including TMurray who gmed Hoffman's ahl team. League leader in PDO though so who knows.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I was pretty rough on him last season and at the start of the season but he has made me change my tune, extremely skilled player. One of the fast players in the league, can stick handle in a phone booth, has a good shot though I have never understood people saying he has a quick release. Lots of velocity on his shot but he always drags the puck before he shoots and it results in a deflection out of play if he doesnt have room.

Make It Biznasty*

Jul 18, 2012
I was pretty rough on him last season and at the start of the season but he has made me change my tune, extremely skilled player. One of the fast players in the league, can stick handle in a phone booth, has a good shot though I have never understood people saying he has a quick release. Lots of velocity on his shot but he always drags the puck before he shoots and it results in a deflection out of play if he doesnt have room.

1) His shot is elite

2) If you don't understand why people say he has a good release, you probably don't know what constitutes a good release.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Was watching the highlights of the game tonight and my jaw dropped when I heard he had 15! I knew he was having a strong season but that is crazy.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
1) His shot is elite

2) If you don't understand why people say he has a good release, you probably don't know what constitutes a good release.

[NHL]2014020638-67-h[/NHL]
[NHL]2014020240-61-h[/NHL]
[NHL]014020089-21-h[/NHL]
[NHL]2014020189-347-h[/NHL]
[NHL]2014020240-821-h[/NHL]
[NHL]2014020475-612-h[/NHL]
All of Hoffmans goals that were straight shots, he always loads his shot or drags the puck.

[NHL]2014020232-414-h[/NHL]
[NHL]2014020288-854-h[/NHL]
[NHL]2012020419-718-h[/NHL]
[NHL]2012020120-59-h[/NHL]
Love Silfverbergs release, that is an elite shot. Notice how he shots mid stick handle, thats a quick release.

Xamar*

All of Hoffmans goals that were straight shots, he always loads his shot or drags the puck.

Love Silfverbergs release, that is an elite shot. Notice how he shots mid stick handle, thats a quick release.

The alfsilversson call still cracks me up :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I think theres a lot of AHL players like Hoffman who get glossed over. Remember this guy had something like 2 goals in 20 games last year with the sens but was mostly used in the bottom part of the line up playing with guys who are checkers. Guy pots a few in the lower parts of the line up this year and suddenly Ryan is saying to the media he wants to play on a line with Hoffman and the kid breaks out. It could have easily went the other way for Hoffman just as it went with DaCosta. DaCosta refused to take the 2 way and elected to play in the khl. Hoffman accepted a two way at league minimum and manages to get a spot on the team. If he missed out this year hes likely in Europe lighting up the KHL with his bud.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This is a pretty good comparison.

I've always compared him to Mason Raymond before breaking his back in the playoffs, but that's a good one too.

I think Hoffman is a good candidate to keep producing, while I imagine his sh% will drop, he'll get more mins, and eventually be used more as a trigger man on the PP (he's mostly played the PP on the point so far). He's getting lots of shots so that bodes well, but surprisingly, none of his goals (or pts) are from the PP.
he's 6th in the league in ES goals...

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
You have to compare him to phil kessel although i agree cammalaire seems like a similar player. Cammalire strikes me as a guy with elite hockey iq who knows where to be well i think hoffman skates better then him and is less willing to get dirty. When i think of cammalaire i think of a player who moves his hands really fast and has shifty movement which is something i see in hoffman.

Philoops

I am Potato
Jul 19, 2011
Canada
He has speed but like someone else said he takes a long time to get that shot away, and it's easy to block. I'll reserve judgment until he's strung together an entire season and more... He could be a solid 3rd line depth scorer at most.
Bobby Butler looked good in a short amount of time too, lol.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Does he play like Ryan Jones and cheat for offense?

I've never noticed him to cheat but i think he has a reputation as being a guy who did a lower levels. Ottawa really tried to improve his play defensively in the ahl and hes grown considerably from the player who was sent to the echl his first year pro.

Make It Biznasty*

Jul 18, 2012

Look at how fast hoffman gets the shoot off after he drags the puck. That's what makes it good. Silfverberg does have any even better release, not disagreeing with you there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad