Mike Hoffman 15 goals

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Look at how fast hoffman gets the shoot off after he drags the puck. That's what makes it good. Silfverberg does have any even better release, not disagreeing with you there.

The drag is a give away that he is shooting though, will be easy for defenders to deflect the puck out of play. He gets a lot of velocity on his shots though when he gets it on net.

Last edited:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He has speed but like someone else said he takes a long time to get that shot away, and it's easy to block. I'll reserve judgment until he's strung together an entire season and more... He could be a solid 3rd line depth scorer at most.
Bobby Butler looked good in a short amount of time too, lol.

I think you are selling him short here. Guy definitely has top 6 potential and unlike Bobby Butler, he has the ability to drive the play.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He has speed but like someone else said he takes a long time to get that shot away, and it's easy to block. I'll reserve judgment until he's strung together an entire season and more... He could be a solid 3rd line depth scorer at most.

I guess the obvious differnce is that Buttler had prime Spezza feeding him pucks the year he scored 10 goals. Hoffman doesn't have that benefit. Buttler never created offense on his own like Hoffman has this year. Agreed that a larger sample would be nice, but there has been very little that you might consider concerning with his game. Yes, his sh% is high, but he gets a lot of shots off and will continue to get more mins. He's also thrived in bigger roles, so it's not like he's only producing in a sheltered 3rd line role.

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
s_david_hasselhoff.jpg

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Chicago played Ottawa early in the year and Matt Hoffman really stood out to me. At the time I think he was in the bottom 6, but you could see his skill level/speed.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I'd say his statistics right now are pretty fair in guessing what kind of a player he'll be. High shooting % and in the future it will definitely drop but his playing time will definitely increase and offset it. As a side note, can't really figure out why he doesn't get more ice time he's only 9th on our team.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I'd say his statistics right now are pretty fair in guessing what kind of a player he'll be. High shooting % and in the future it will definitely drop but his playing time will definitely increase and offset it. As a side note, can't really figure out why he doesn't get more ice time he's only 9th on our team.

Mac and Cam'Ron have done a good job sheltering him and keeping his confidence sky high. Im sure in the 2nd half he will see increased ice time, especially if we become sellers and decide to let the kids show what they can do.

He does need more PP time, though.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
[NHL]2014020638-67-h[/NHL]
All of Hoffmans goals that were straight shots, he always loads his shot or drags the puck.

[NHL]2014020232-414-h[/NHL]
Love Silfverbergs release, that is an elite shot. Notice how he shots mid stick handle, thats a quick release.

There are more than one way to have a great release. Changing the angle of the release point can be as elite as a quick release, it prevents the shot from being blocked and can create situations where the angle is off for the goaltender. Which in all the videos you showed of Hoffman scoring he does very well.

I will eat crow on this one, he looked lost last year. Too fast for his own good, ahead of the play inaccurate shot I really didn't think his game would translate to the NHL level. Then I was told every league he has been in he needs an adjustment period then he will be elite. OHL didn't even give him a shot so he went to the Q by the time he was done there he was MVP. He started off slow in the AHL then last year he had 30 goals in 50 games. Now that he has had time to adjust to the NHL he has become the sens most dangerous forward. Just proves development isn't linear. He has elite level skill and speed, I cant believe how fast he is. He has a legit shot at the fastest skater in the skills comp this year.

Boy was I wrong and man am I happy about it. He is pretty much the only bright spot on this years season as a sens fan. I think people expected Stone to be this good because he showed it and has had ample time playing with Turris and MacArthur.

Hoffman is a complete surprise.

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

Not that my opinions means much, but Ceci, Lazar, Stone, and Hoffman are the only 4 Ottawa yougsters that I've liked in recent memory.

I hated on Pageau, Butler, Da Costa, Conacher, Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Lehner, and Cowen a lot. Still do for the most part.

All this to say there's something about Hoffman that sticks out. Something I didn't see in Butler or Pageau.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
He will continue to excel as long as he is sheltered IMO

If the Sens sell off some guys at the deadline this season and he finishes this year/ starts next year with the team expecting him to be a key contributor I think he will start to struggle. I hope they continue to shelter him for a while longer as I think it will help his career longterm. He has been an amazing waiver pick up in my fantasy league.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Hey everyone, can we stop quoting the YT videos? It is slowing down the thread to a crawl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad