Value of: Mike Green to Toronto at the deadline

Steamwhistle

Nov 10, 2014
Toronto
Detroit's about to go through their initial rebuilding phase and Green likely isn't in their plans, what would it take to get him to Toronto? Leafs could use a veteren top 4 RHD, even though he's still got only year on his contract @ 6m. Is there a deal to be made here at he deadline?

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Sure you can have Green for 2017 1st and Andrew Nielsen

And Wings will take back Laich and Michalek cap dumps

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Sure you can have Green for 2017 1st and Andrew Nielsen

And Wings will take back Laich and Michalek cap dumps

That seems quite reasonable tbh.

But I don't think the Leafs are ready to start trading 1sts yet and Green only has 1 year left.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

But I don't think the Leafs are ready to start trading 1sts yet and Green only has 1 year left.

not a chance we do that. This is not the year to do that, if we are really interested in Green next deadline he will be cheaper and we should be a more solid contender (should not a guarantee of course)

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
Absurd idea.

Leafs are nowhere near ready to start trading futures for short term assets.

Keep building. The time will come in 2-3 years.

Be patient.

With a year left on his deal...Green isn't getting traded this deadline. Zero chance.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Not open to dealing 1st round picks for older help. Yes, would love to upgrade the D, but would prefer to stay the course.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
I don't understand why threads keep getting made on this same topic when everyone is in agreement it doesn't work. Pretty much everyone agrees it will take at least a 1st rounder to get him which is perfectly reasonable value. But pretty much everyone also agrees there's zero chance the Leafs are trading that pick away for a player like Green at this point in the rebuild so it's a non-starter. /thread

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Not too many teams can afford Greene's 6m cap hit next year (at least a contending team)
Not too many teams would trade for Green, and then be able to make them part of the the "3" Dmen protected in the draft.

So if Detroit truly wants to trade Greene there are many teams that makes a logical destination for his services.
One of the big advantages Detroit to trade is clear 6m next year and start over.

Toronto is a team that could fit him under the cap and since the Leafs are protecting four or five Dmen in the draft, they could fit Greene in.

That been said, I don't think the Leafs would give up much for Greene. Come the summer there will be other Dmen available via trade as teams sell their draft eligible Dmen.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I like Green and would love him on the Leafs but if Hainsey is getting a 2nd then Green is worth a 1st plus more and that is a price the Leafs shouldnt pay.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Our latest 17 2nd, 18' conditional first (if it's lottery, becomes 19' 1st, Carrick. I think thats fair for the wings, albeit the leafs overpaying a bit. Rielly would go straight with Green, and Babs has the Detroit connection

Obviously we'd try to resign Green as he'd be the stabilizing vet influence we've wanted

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Not open to dealing 1st round picks for older help. Yes, would love to upgrade the D, but would prefer to stay the course.

You may not be open, but you or the other fans are not the ones running the team. If Babcock wants to upgrade the team and Shattenkirk does not happen, don't be surprised if Green is the one Toronto goes after, and yes, it would involve your 1st rounder.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
You may not be open, but you or the other fans are not the ones running the team. If Babcock wants to upgrade the team and Shattenkirk does not happen, don't be surprised if Green is the one Toronto goes after, and yes, it would involve your 1st rounder.

Why would our new management abandon their philosophy for what everyone knows would be a short playoff run? Sure, we're just nerds behind keyboards, but you have to give us some logic for why they would completely change paths. Because from where we're sitting, it just doesnt make any sense.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, we recognize that Green's value is definitely 1st+, but we don't think that the Leafs plan to be trading 1sts for short term answers just yet.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Babcock isn't the GM. Management have repeatedly stated that they won't be trading youth, they are sticking to the plan. Recently, Babcock stated Leafs fans might as well do something else on deadline day as the Leafs won't be doing anything.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

exactly.

The Leafs aren't going to trade a 1st round pick for a veteran player at this point. They're not ready to do things like that yet and management knows it.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site

That looks reasonable to you? Mike Green? Jesus it's no wonder the Leafs floundered in mediocrity for nearly a decade. How else do you appease a fanbase like this. :shakehead

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Why would our new management abandon their philosophy for what everyone knows would be a short playoff run? Sure, we're just nerds behind keyboards, but you have to give us some logic for why they would completely change paths. Because from where we're sitting, it just doesnt make any sense.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, we recognize that Green's value is definitely 1st+, but we don't think that the Leafs plan to be trading 1sts for short term answers just yet.

Why? Because now is best time as any. Toronto already has some incredible pieces up front, if they feel like they'll be in the playoffs Green would be a huge asset for them, and not just for this year, next year as well. Worst case scenario, if you don't make the playoffs next year you can trade him away as a rental.

Also unlike 2018, the 2017 draft seems like a weak one. Given their current position, the Leafs are not drafting in the top-10 unless they free fall, and if they free fall all these trade-deadline deals are moot points anyways because they'll likely sell rather than buy.

ClappysFromTheHashys

Feb 15, 2017
Why? Because now is best time as any. Toronto already has some incredible pieces up front, if they feel like they'll be in the playoffs Green would be a huge asset for them, and not just for this year, next year as well. Worst case scenario, if you don't make the playoffs next year you can trade him away as a rental.

Also unlike 2018, the 2017 draft seems like a weak one. Given their current position, the Leafs are not drafting in the top-10 unless they free fall, and if they free fall all these trade-deadline deals are moot points anyways because they'll likely sell rather than buy.

25% retained Green for a supposed mid to late 1st in a weak draft, Soshnikov/Rychel, and a 4th is reasonable.

Leaves plenty cap space for a potential run at Shattenkirk. Doesn't deplete asset pool much and can still try to swing a trade for a D with ANA/MIN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad