Value of: Mike Green to Toronto at the deadline

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I recall when Green was signed, it was mentioned that Detroit's GM had been chasing him for years - tried to trade for him but couldn't, and was ecstatic when Green hit UFA and signed. He doesn't seem like the kind of player that gets traded at the deadline.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Green should be re-signed, not traded.

Our blue line is atrocious and trading away our biggest offensive threat on the blue line is stupid.

What good does that do for Detroit? They are going to suck for at least next couple years whether they have Mike Green or not. Green probably doesn't want to finish his career on a rebuilding team anyway. Trade him and get pieces that could actually help in the near future. They would be wise to move him this summer and not risk Green suffering a long term injury and not be able to trade him at next years deadline. Plus they'll also get more value for him now.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
That looks reasonable to you? Mike Green? Jesus it's no wonder the Leafs floundered in mediocrity for nearly a decade. How else do you appease a fanbase like this. :shakehead

Mike Green is a good defenseman on a reasonable contract. A 1st+ a decent prospect hardly seems like an overpayment and is very likely what it would cost to get him. I wouldnt want the Leafs to make this trade for a variety of reasons, but I think the value is entirely within the realm of what Green would return in a trade.

Why? Because now is best time as any. Toronto already has some incredible pieces up front, if they feel like they'll be in the playoffs Green would be a huge asset for them, and not just for this year, next year as well. Worst case scenario, if you don't make the playoffs next year you can trade him away as a rental.

Also unlike 2018, the 2017 draft seems like a weak one. Given their current position, the Leafs are not drafting in the top-10 unless they free fall, and if they free fall all these trade-deadline deals are moot points anyways because they'll likely sell rather than buy.

What is the point of trading away a 1st and our highest upside defense prospect for an extra round in the playoffs? I agree that the Leafs have an excellent core of young forwards, but nobody is expecting us to be real cup contenders this year or next, even with the addition of Green. Smart teams don't pay 1sts and good prospects when they are thinking that it might get them to the second round. I'm not worried about a free-fall, I just don't understand the long term benefits of adding Green for two seasons and short playoff runs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad