News Article: Mike Green leads top NHL Free agents

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Kevin's Allen's piece on the top Free Agents

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...green-leads-nhls-free-agent-targets/26922559/

HIs top 10, his gives some thoughts on each one in the article.
I'm curious to see where Green lands, he's a good defensemen, I've always thought he was a bit underrated.

1. Mike Green – Capitals
2. Drew Stafford – Jets
3. Carl Soderberg – Bruins
4. Antoine Vermette – Blackhawks
5. Mike Ribeiro – Predators
6. Matt Beleskey – Ducks
7. Paul Martin – Penguins
8. Christian Ehrhoff – Penguins
9. Jeff Petry – Canadiens
10. Eric Fehr – Capitals

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
This is a sub-par UFA market if that's the cream of the crop. Interesting for all the Sekera talk around here he's not even on the list and at best the fifth best D-man on the market according to the article (not that I agree, I'd certainly have him ahead of Petry. Wtf Kevin.. :shakehead )

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Sekera has been criminally underrated like always, but it's like people forgot about him after he came here :laugh: Everyone like Petry's body of work right now because, as expected, he's had a large impact on the Canadiens.

I think Green has trended down to underrated too but he still does too many boneheaded things for my liking.

What a goofy crop of UFAs.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Kevin's Allen's piece on the top Free Agents

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...green-leads-nhls-free-agent-targets/26922559/

HIs top 10, his gives some thoughts on each one in the article.
I'm curious to see where Green lands, he's a good defensemen, I've always thought he was a bit underrated.

1. Mike Green – Capitals
2. Drew Stafford – Jets
3. Carl Soderberg – Bruins
4. Antoine Vermette – Blackhawks
5. Mike Ribeiro – Predators
6. Matt Beleskey – Ducks
7. Paul Martin – Penguins
8. Christian Ehrhoff – Penguins
9. Jeff Petry – Canadiens
10. Eric Fehr – Capitals

surpised beleskey, fehr and petry edged out sekera and beauchemin

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I think the link is broken. I clicked on it and it took me to the dictionary.com definition for underwhelming.

I would take Williams over every one of those forwards, although I'd have to think about it with a couple of them.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Prepare yourselves for Drew Stafford.

4 years/$24 million. No way DL does that. Stafford rode a hot second half and a weak UFA market and he'll cash in. Watch a team like Calgary get him, and I hope they do. Stafford is extremely overrated.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
4 years/$24 million. No way DL does that. Stafford rode a hot second half and a weak UFA market and he'll cash in. Watch a team like Calgary get him, and I hope they do. Stafford is extremely overrated.

Do you really think Stafford will get 6m?

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Do you really think Stafford will get 6m?

I don't, this year too many teams with CAP issues. But he will get overpaid by somebody. But he loves playing in Winnipeg and from the articles I've read, the organization (and his teammates)really like him. They have room (currently at 47M) if they want to sign him (Enstrom is highest paid player on team, 5.7M) . They have Frolik, Tlusty among others to decide on and others like Stempniak that will go.

They have some room to made changes, and I think they'd like to keep him if he'll sign there.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Kings will probably not be in on any of these guys. Had an interest in Vermette but he has looked awful here in Chicago. I think the Kings quest for a 3C will be addressed via trade.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Kings will probably not be in on any of these guys. Had an interest in Vermette but he has looked awful here in Chicago. I think the Kings quest for a 3C will be addressed via trade.

I honestly don't see the 3 rd center spot as big of a concern as replacing williams or 1rw ( depending on where u think williams fit) We need to get more offense /skill for our top 6 We finished 6 in goal against. We had one of the worse shoot out records in the league We need someone to score in them more then we need a 3 center

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I honestly don't see the 3 rd center spot as big of a concern as replacing williams or 1rw ( depending on where u think williams fit) We need to get more offense /skill for our top 6 We finished 6 in goal against. We had one of the worse shoot out records in the league We need someone to score in them more then we need a 3 center

The Kings need to not go to Shootouts.

The vast majority of the game is played 5vs5.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I prefer the Kings to be strong down the middle, 3C is a much more pressing need, than another Top six Winger.

Pearson/Toffoli should take another step next season.

3C is a huge glaring hole. It creates match up problems for the Kings. Teams can key on Kopitar/Carter due to the Kings having a weak bottom six Center lineup.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I prefer the Kings to be strong down the middle, 3C is a much more pressing need, than another Top six Winger.

Pearson/Toffoli should take another step next season.

who do u put with Gaborik and Kopitar ? I would rather keep brown lewis or king out of the top 6 Unless someone surprisingly makes the jump from the ahl that is what u'll have. Imo none of them should be in the top 6 full time.

you got to score some goals to win and this is our problem

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
who do u put with Gaborik and Kopitar ? I would rather keep brown lewis or king out of the top 6 Unless someone surprisingly makes the jump from the ahl that is what u'll have. Imo none of them should be in the top 6 full time.

you got to score some goals to win and this is our problem

Having a proper 3C will help scoring, Strength down the middle creates match-up problems for teams.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You know what will fix the scoring? Our core scorers scoring. We're not replacing the top six this year unless someone dazzles at camp or DL pulls a trade out of his magic hat.

3C is an issue for matchups. If someone creative and moderately responsible can line up there, we're much better off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad