Injury Report: Mike Green is out for the season, undergoing surgery on his cervical spine

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
That sucks, I wish him a speedy recovery. I guess teams not being interested makes even more sense now. I didnt realize it was this bad.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I still want him to be resigned this summer and don't see why so many are against it rebuild be damned.
Because he's scored 35, 36, and 33 points in his 3 years here, and will continue to slide down the twilight arc of his career. And he doesn't play any defense. And he will likely still find a sucker on the open market to give him a 3-4 year deal, which will end up as at least 1-2 years of dead weight on that team's cap.

Let somebody else provide a golden parachute for an aging veteran. This team needs a mix of youth and players still in their prime. Anything over and above 2-3 "mentors" is poor roster management. Especially if Detroit wants any chance at recapturing the notion of, "max effort, no poke & hope".

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Because he's scored 35, 36, and 33 points in his 3 years here, and will continue to slide down the twilight arc of his career. And he doesn't play any defense. And he will likely still find a sucker on the open market to give him a 3-4 year deal, which will end up as at least 1-2 years of dead weight on that team's cap.

Let somebody else provide a golden parachute for an aging veteran. This team needs a mix of youth and players still in their prime. Anything over and above 2-3 "mentors" is poor roster management. Especially if Detroit wants any chance at recapturing the notion of, "max effort, no poke & hope".

He's obviously been pretty much my favorite player recently but you guys are starting to sway my opinion about what's best for the future. It's been a cool 3 seasons at the zenith of Mike's career, but that ship is ailing... er I mean sailing.

If we didn't already have Ericsson, Kronwall, and Daley cramping our style I'd see some logic in it. I would dump all of them for Green though. The game is far easier and fluid for Green than any of our other D. Daley is a worn out 3rd pairing plug with a whopping 6 assists. 6!

Green is so much more talented than DeKeyser and the rest it's not even funny. Still I agree it's not a smart move to get tied into another contract for a declining veteran.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Here's my priority list for defense in the off season:

1) Party like it's 1999 if they somehow land Dahlin.
2) Hope to come away with at least a couple blue liners out of those first four picks.
3) Do whatever I can to assist the development of Cholowski, Hronek, and Saarijarvi. This includes finding/hiring whatever legendary NHL defensemen I can get to answer my calls for off-ice positions as mentors.
4) Doing a deep dive around the league on whether I could trade for a defenseman this summer. Any roster players except Larkin and Mantha are fair game, and I would LISTEN to any offers that included picks and/or prospects.
5) Test the free agent market.

Detroit doesn't have the assets to win the Karlsson sweepstakes. And if Washington locks up Carlson before free agency - and they'd be crazy not to pull out all the stops while trying - Green might hit July 1 as the top available defenseman. That's more an indictment of this year's market than an endorsement of Green, but he's gonna get offers, possibly even the same $6Mx3 deal he's now finishing. And that's not how I'd like to work the cap at this stage of the rebuild.

Hopefully, by July 1 the Wings have a lot of good reasons to not offer Mike Green anything more than a 1 year deal - without any movement clauses - and he goes elsewhere.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
1-2 years would be fine. Don’t see much risk.

There's nothing to gain. We're the oldest team in the league, it's time to start seriously rebuilding and make a real effort to insert youth into this lineup. We're going to be bad no matter what, may as well give kids more opportunities.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I hope after his neck surgery, That Holland by passes on Mike Green. Would rather give one of the youngsters a shot like Filip Hronek if we're truly heading for rebuild city we need to start giving the youngsters a fair chance here. Rasmussen and Hronek on the team for the 2018/2019 NHL season would be sweet.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I know the difference is marginal, but do Franzen and Weiss count toward our average age?

Not trying to prove your point wrong or anything, just genuinely curious.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
1-2 years would be fine. Don’t see much risk.

At his age he's risking a TON of earning power by taking short deals. He has no incentive. He's going to look for the contract that give him the most years and money, and 1-2 year contract won't even be on his radar unless they are gross over payments.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
There's nothing to gain. We're the oldest team in the league, it's time to start seriously rebuilding and make a real effort to insert youth into this lineup. We're going to be bad no matter what, may as well give kids more opportunities.
I’d honestly rather dump mediocre trash like XO and Jensen, let Kronner LTIR and possibly trade one of DD/Daley/E. Skill should matter more than strictly age.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I’d honestly rather dump mediocre trash like XO and Jensen, let Kronner LTIR and possibly trade one of DD/Daley/E. Skill should matter more than strictly age.

His skill couldn't be more useless for this team. I'd rather keep XO and Jensen to see if they can be serviceable #6/7/8 defensemen. This team is at least 3 years away from winning, the only way Green stays is if we pay him more than he could get on the open market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad