News Article: Mike Gillis to Teach Sports Law at University of Victoria.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Getting anything out of Gillis would probably require a ton of networking with him.

Someone as smart as him would unlikely leak information that could be used against him to folks he can't trust.

We should send Tanbir from Surrey there to get the real scoop.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
You can still try.

"Mr. Gillis, Mr. Gillis, Mr. Gillis,

I was wondering what your opinion was on using bullying as a coaching tool to motivate young hockey players."

"No comment"

*BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE*

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Hilarious that some people complain about "haters" taking Benning to task for anything and everything because the haters are are looking for something to take him to task but then peoplr are taking Gillis to task on something he is well qualified for and one of the few qualified for this post.

Cant think of many who are actually better for this post. MG is a lawyer, has taught before, has been on both sides of thr table and successful at it.

Shameful.

This is a part of life. One side stands for nobility and honour and the other side are just haters. This holier-than-thou line of thought and blind arrogance often causes the side to become haters themselves but they are just too drunk on their own opinions to see it.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
I posted this somewhere else too. It's sad, that one game in 2011 could have changed this whole team for the better. They win that game, and they are practically have god status here. Every one of those players and now we're seeing them all separate and disappear while Boston's guys are all over the league as top executive GMs and such. Doing a terrible job too.

If i recall correctly, Gillis had a few GM offers before becoming the Canucks GM and organization said Gillis was willing to wait a couple of years for it. He was a cocky and arrogant guy with a lot of pride and that probably is the reason why he is unable to get another GM job.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
I'm assuming he's stuck around the lower mainland on purpose, doesn't he have youngish kids?

I have my doubts about him rushing into another GM job but I guess if he's on Sportsnet hollering with Nick Kypreos about trade rumours a couple of years from now we'll know whether he had any more offers from inside the hockey world or not.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I took this class a few years back and Gillis was involved then. Not too surprising that he has decided to get more involved.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I posted this somewhere else too. It's sad, that one game in 2011 could have changed this whole team for the better. They win that game, and they are practically have god status here. Every one of those players and now we're seeing them all separate and disappear while Boston's guys are all over the league as top executive GMs and such. Doing a terrible job too.

If i recall correctly, Gillis had a few GM offers before becoming the Canucks GM and organization said Gillis was willing to wait a couple of years for it. He was a cocky and arrogant guy with a lot of pride and that probably is the reason why he is unable to get another GM job.

He probably is not even looking at the moment. If he was teams would be talking to him and it would leak, even if they weren't interested in him at all that would probably leak to.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I would take this course just so I could go around telling people that "my college professor would make a better GM than Jim Benning."

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think if Gillis was looking for a GM position you would hear his name as a possible candidate.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
That's awesome. I always thought Gillis was a very smart man when it came to hockey.

Would love to take some Law courses with him for sure.

Viktri

Apr 25, 2007
Vancouver
A lot of successful people teach in universities. They aren't professors, but are lecturers. This is probably more prevalent outside of Canada and probably more common in the professional business industries - law, finance, accounting, etc.

I've personally experienced this outside of Canada. Often this people want to teach to give back to the community, are interested in using the university's resources to perform their own research projects, or enjoy exercising authority over young people that will join their industries (these people are the worst).

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
Hilarious, all the experts here wanted Gilly canned. They all called for a guy like Benning. Now they all dream of the glory days when the Gilly was in charge.

I bet Gilly would be a ***** of a professor. I suspect he gives out 90% D's.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Burke did a few lectures in UBC law back in the day. He would drop a TON of insider info in those.

yeah, but Big Mouth Burke was typical Burke. Gillis was the exact opposite. Kept his cards to his chest, never wavering from his position.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Gillis won't ever have a top management job in the NHL again

Mostly because he doesn't want it, if he wanted to be a GM I think he could, looking at his overall work Vancouver it wasn't as bad as many make it out. Trading a likable goalie in this market seems to turn the fan base on you.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Do we even have someone with a law background on our staff anymore? I'm sure we have lawyers like every team does but do we actually have anyone in the sports management side who has a legal background and understands the CBA?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad