News Article: Mike Gillis to Teach Sports Law at University of Victoria.

JA

Mike Gillis is back in Canucks Nation.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mike-gillis-gm-vancouver-canucks-university-of-victoria-sports-law-course-teacher-uvic-faculty-of-law-2016/
Ex-Canucks GM Mike Gillis becoming a teacher
Luke Fox July 14, 2015, 1:45 PM

Hired Gillis.

Mike Gillis is taking his six years of Vancouver Canucks experience to the classroom.

The former Canucks general manager is ready to start a new job as a university professor in the spring of 2016, reports Metro News.

The University of Victoria confirmed to the outlet that Gillis, 56, will teach a sports law course at the school’s Faculty of Law.

The Ontario native earned a law degree from Queen's University in Kingston after arriving at the school to coach its hockey team.

Gillis, an NHL winger who cut his teeth in the business side of hockey as a player agent, was crowned the league's GM of the Year in 2011 but was fired in 2014 after the Canucks failed to make the playoffs.

He will teach the course alongside Peter Gall, a well-known Vancouver lawyer whose client base includes Calgary Flames president Brian Burke.

"The primary focus of this course will be on the operation of sports leagues and the legal and business relationships between leagues, teams, players, agents and unions. Readings will be assigned for each class. Students will be required to submit written comments on the assigned readings before each class," reads the course description.

"Students will be given the option of writing a paper or participating in a mock salary arbitration."

We suggest the mock salary arbitration.

Spring 2016 semester.

http://www.uvic.ca/law/assets/docs/pcisSpring2016/201601%20343-2%20Sports%20Gail%20Gillis.pdf
COURSE DESCRIPTION

The primary focus of this course will be on the operation of sports leagues and the legal and business relationships between leagues, teams, players, agents and unions. Readings will be assigned for each class. Students will be required to submit written comments\on the assigned readings before each class. In addition, students will have the option of writing a paper or participating in a mock salary arbitration.

He will be teaching alongside Peter A. Gall, a lawyer since 1976 who in the hockey world is known recently as the lawyer Brian Burke and the Leafs turned to with regards to defamatory comments on social media and message boards:

http://www.glgmlaw.com/our-people/peter-a-gall-qc/Default.htm

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs-joffrey-lupul-dion-phaneuf-and-elisha-cuthbert-threaten-lawsuit-after-tsn-airs-scandalous-tweet
Toronto Maple Leafs’ Joffrey Lupul and Dion Phaneuf, actress Elisha Cuthbert receive formal apology from TSN over scandalous tweet
Kaitlyn McGrath | March 3, 2015 | Last Updated: Mar 5 9:10 AM ET

During a TSN’s SportsCentre broadcast, host James Duthie apologized on behalf of the network for the tweet. TSN said in a statement it would air the apology during Tuesday’s game telecast of the game between the Leafs and Florida Panthers.

“In spite of TSN’s protocols to prevent unfounded and inappropriate tweets from making it to air, a false, and inappropriate tweet was allowed to run. There was no basis for the false allegation made in this tweet,” Duthie said on air.

“TSN unreservedly apologizes to Joffrey Lupul, Dion Phaneuf and Elisha Cuthbert and regrets any embarrassment this unfortunate incident has caused to them.”

Earlier on Tuesday, Peter A. Gall of the Vancouver law firm Gall Legge Grant and Munroe LLP issued a news release saying he had sent a letter to TSN on behalf of Lupul, Phaneuf and Cuthbert. The letter, and the release, said they were prepared to file a lawsuit if they did not receive a formal apology from the network.

“We have sent a letter to TSN demanding that TSN issue a formal apology and pay a significant amount of damages to each of our clients for broadcasting a false and defamatory tweet during their trade deadline show yesterday. We are sending a similar letter to the author of the tweet, Mr. Anthony Adragna,” the statement said.

Gall said in a phone interview that they are in the process of tracking down the tweet’s author.

“It’s unfortunate that it got rebroadcast in a way that got a broader audience and gave it more creditability, but he like so many people now with social media don’t think that there’s any consequences to just making up stories.” Gall said.

“He started it, and because it’s led to this, my clients are going to go after him and he’s going to have to make appropriate amends to them as well,” he said.

Gall said Lupul, Phaneuf and Cuthbert were “humiliated” and “embarrassed” following Monday’s incident.

“They just had to take a stand and make it clear to everybody how false all this was and how hurtful and damaging all of this was,” he said.

Gall said he would talk to TSN regarding the damages his clients were seeking.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/how-former-leafs-gm-brian-burke-aims-to-unmask-online-rumour-mongers/article11595595/
How former Leafs GM Brian Burke aims to unmask online rumour-mongers
KATRINA PYNE
TORONTO — The Globe and Mail
Published Sunday, Apr. 28, 2013 11:31AM EDT
Last updated Tuesday, Apr. 30, 2013 1:28PM EDT

Brian Burke’s lawsuit against anonymous online commenters might seem far-fetched, but Internet privacy-law experts say it should be only a matter of time and money before those identities are revealed.

Mr. Burke, the former general manager and president of the Toronto Maple Leafs, filed a lawsuit Friday with the B.C. Supreme Court alleging defamation against 18 defendants, whose identities are limited to cryptic online handles such as Ncognito, Slobberface and Sir Psycho Sexy.

According to the court filing, comments made between Jan. 12 and Jan. 28, 2013 accused Mr. Burke of having an extramarital affair with Rogers Sportsnet sportscaster Hazel Mae. The court documents say Mr. Burke is suing for losses and damages to his reputation.

Mr. Burke’s lawyer, Peter Gall, says they are going to seek orders against the websites and message boards where the comments were made seeking disclosure of anything known about the identities of these people.

“We think of defamation as being printed or said over the radio where you can easily identify who is saying it,” Mr. Gall says. “But it’s a whole new world with the Internet and it’s a little murky legally in terms of how you come to grips with this world.”
4016339.jpg

It should be an interesting class!

Last edited by a moderator:

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude...

Being able to ask Mike Gillis what the eff happened with the Ballard trade or why Torts???!?!? in a class setting?

unnnnhhhhhhhhhhhhh..............

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
All i can muster is LOL

Absolutely hilarious, especially the way he's praised on here by some

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

Being able to ask Mike Gillis what the eff happened with the Ballard trade or why Torts???!?!? in a class setting?

He'll probably tell his students he's not at liberty to disclose some of this stuff due to signing off on an NDA.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
He'll probably tell his students he's not at liberty to disclose some of this stuff due to signing off on an NDA.

and plan B will be to take him to Felicitas (campus bar) and get him blind drunk.

The business of hockey fascinates the **** outta me and MG knows his hockey. Who knows, maybe we'll get a surprise visit from Lawrence Gilman or Lorne Henning or both? :) :) :)

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
and plan B will be to take him to Felicitas (campus bar) and get him blind drunk.

The business of hockey fascinates the **** outta me and MG knows his hockey. Who knows, maybe we'll get a surprise visit from Lawrence Gilman or Lorne Henning or both? :) :) :)

Getting anything out of Gillis would probably require a ton of networking with him.

Someone as smart as him would unlikely leak information that could be used against him to folks he can't trust.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Getting anything out of Gillis would probably require a ton of networking with him.

Someone as smart as him would unlikely leak information that could be used against him to folks he can't trust.

Party pooper.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009

I think that is what a lot of people are thinking.
The class is already full now.
:laugh:

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Hilarious that some people complain about "haters" taking Benning to task for anything and everything because the haters are are looking for something to take him to task but then peoplr are taking Gillis to task on something he is well qualified for and one of the few qualified for this post.

Cant think of many who are actually better for this post. MG is a lawyer, has taught before, has been on both sides of thr table and successful at it.

Shameful.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

i get occasional gillis gossip from a friend who is the proprietor of a vancouver establishment that he regularly frequents. he apparently rarely wants to talk about hockey, and (claims to have) stopped following the team at all about a month into torts's death spiral last season, but he has both discussed some scenes stuff about players and trades, and has verified one open secret involving the breakup of his core that we all take for granted but which we only talk about here in code because it involves personal lives and something something not officially verified something something libel.

so i don't know how tight-lipped he really is. my sense is he's slowly getting the truth out there, quietly anyway. we're not talking about his trusted neighbourhood bar here, just one of many places he regularly stops in at in his weekly routine.

i mean, if you want the dirt about the aquilinis and the extent of their involvement and which calls they made and overrode him on, then yeah i don't think mike will ever go there. but i bet his side about everything else filters out in the long run. (and i'm not saying he planting this stuff -- maybe he is, maybe he isn't; i don't know, i've never spoken to the dude -- just saying that he has conversations like anyone would have conversations.)

but no, you're not going to get the real story in a UVic class obviously, where some jerk kid is probably secretly recording every session on his phone.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
That's really cool. Wish he was teaching at my University.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
i get occasional gillis gossip from a friend who is the proprietor of a vancouver establishment that he regularly frequents. he apparently rarely wants to talk about hockey, and (claims to have) stopped following the team at all about a month into torts's death spiral last season, but he has both discussed some scenes stuff about players and trades, and has verified one open secret involving the breakup of his core that we all take for granted but which we only talk about here in code because it involves personal lives and something something not officially verified something something libel.

so i don't know how tight-lipped he really is. my sense is he's slowly getting the truth out there, quietly anyway. we're not talking about his trusted neighbourhood bar here, just one of many places he regularly stops in at in his weekly routine.

i mean, if you want the dirt about the aquilinis and the extent of their involvement and which calls they made and overrode him on, then yeah i don't think mike will ever go there. but i bet his side about everything else filters out in the long run. (and i'm not saying he planting this stuff -- maybe he is, maybe he isn't; i don't know, i've never spoken to the dude -- just saying that he has conversations like anyone would have conversations.)

but no, you're not going to get the real story in a UVic class obviously, where some jerk kid is probably secretly recording every session on his phone.

That course may offer some good insight into the issue of defamation. Might be of general use around here because that rumour you mention is completely false and would be considered defamatory.

Something that's not considered defamatory by law is the insinuation that another person such as a general manager of a hockey team is a moron. That's an opinion. One I think is shared by many people lately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad