Confirmed with Link: Mike Fisher Re-Signed 2 Years, $8.8 Million

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
weAreSmashville ‏@Preds7thMan tweets
Predators expected to sign Mike Fisher to a 2-3 year extension worth $4 million annually, Deal expected within the month,

Preds7thMan: Preds expected to sign Mike Fisher to 2-3 yr extension worth $4m annually, Deal expected within the mo.†On&Off ice=Worth it

That's a good deal for both sides.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
We need Fisher and we've got some coming off the books.

If we were anywhere near the cap, I'd worry, but we have one of the lowest payrolls in the league.
Agreed. Even if cap stays the same, we have Cullen and Jokinen's $6M off the books this off-season, then Stalberg and Goose's $6M+ next season. Plenty of room for increasing Ribeiro, Smith, Wilson, Forsberg, and Jones when needed.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Agreed. Even if cap stays the same, we have Cullen and Jokinen's $6M off the books this off-season, then Stalberg and Goose's $6M+ next season. Plenty of room for increasing Ribeiro, Smith, Wilson, Forsberg, and Jones when needed.

Stalberg has two more years after this year.

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
We're putting ourselves up against the wall ... with Smith & Wilson to go

This is sarcasm right? 4 mil per is actually a slight discount on Fisher's current salary. Cullen and Jokinen are gone next year, so there's 6 million. Even if Smith, Wilson and Ribeiro all signed for 6 million per(crazy high...), the Preds would still have PLENTY of cap space. They're barely over the floor right now.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
actually I googled that earlier today and her estimated income for 2013 was $5M so only slightly more than hubby.

and they do make artificial knees these days... can't play hockey with them too well, but they will work just fine for walking in retirement

My wife has a pair of artificial knees. They get stiff in the cold. I tell her that the designers did too good of a job. They are different models from different years.

When Nashville gets a few centers better than Fisher, they can let him go. He has played in Nashville how long? Do they have 3 or 4 better centers now? I don't think so, but I don't see them on TV very often. If he scores 15 to 20 goals a year, let him play.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
This comes as a pleasant surprise if true. I am really impressed with his play since his injury. It would be wonderful if he can continue with us a couple of more years.

RoyalAir

Looks Better In Gold
Jan 12, 2006
SE Tennessee
Fisher is the kind of positive presence that every dressing room needs. It's a good deal for both sides that he be retained.

In addition, I expect Jokinen to stick around for the very same reasons.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Fisher is the kind of positive presence that every dressing room needs. It's a good deal for both sides that he be retained.

In addition, I expect Jokinen to stick around for the very same reasons.

I hope you're kidding ... and yes I was kidding sort of (Wilson, Smith are looking at sizeable raises and Ribs needs a new contract)

RoyalAir

Looks Better In Gold
Jan 12, 2006
SE Tennessee
I hope you're kidding ... and yes I was kidding sort of (Wilson, Smith are looking at sizeable raises and Ribs needs a new contract)

The only thing you lose with Jokinen is a roster spot (and that may matter more over the summer). He's cheap (and will be cheaper still next year), has a great attitude, and plays solid (if not spectacular) defensive hockey.

No, he's not sexy, and he's not the playmaker he once was when he was in Florida. But he certainly brings intangibles that are valuable. There's a reason Roy was shipped out, but Jokinen was retained when they both had bottom-six roles.

I may be completely out to lunch, but I'll be surprised if Jokinen isn't here next year.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Jokinen isn't that good defensively and Roy admittedly did not want to be put into a bottom 6 role.

Jokinen lately has had costly late penalties and missed defensive assignments that have made him way less reliable.

IMHO, Arcobello will replace Jokinen...

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
I imagine Fisher brings significantly more than his stats convey, but looking at stats/age/etc and imagining some of his intangibles.. doesn't 4-4.5 seem kind of high?

I guess if you're below the floor and Ribeiro's future is uncertain.. you're somewhat handcuffed

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
I imagine Fisher brings significantly more than his stats convey, but looking at stats/age/etc and imagining some of his intangibles.. doesn't 4-4.5 seem kind of high?

I guess if you're below the floor and Ribeiro's future is uncertain.. you're somewhat handcuffed

No, 4-4.5 doesn't seem high at all. What would you expect to pay in UFA for a 20+ goal, ~50 point two-way center who can play on the PP and PK? Look at what guys like Stastny, Grabovski, Weiss, Bolland, etc. got paid.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
No, 4-4.5 doesn't seem high at all. What would you expect to pay in UFA for a 20+ goal, ~50 point two-way center who can play on the PP and PK? Look at what guys like Stastny, Grabovski, Weiss, Bolland, etc. got paid.
When you also consider that Fisher scored at a pace that would have been a career best over 82 games (e.g. he's not really declining), it's not bad at all. Would prefer him closer to the $4M side, but Fish can be probably be counted on to be worth whatever he signs for (long as he stays healthy).

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

Not at all. He's one of the better 3rd line centers in the league (assuming getting a couple centers is the teams priority).

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
I would absolutely take Fisher at $4M for two more years. Look at his 82-game projections for his four full seasons in Nashville:

2011-12 - 27g+31a=58pts
2012-13 - 22g+23a=45pts
2013-14 - 22g+32a=54pts
2014-15 - 26g+28a=54pts

$4M is about the going rate for that sort of player these days, if not more. He has given the Predators absolutely no reason not to try to re-sign him, both with who he is and the way he has played.

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
If the 3C is 4 to 4.5 what is the top 6 worth?

If he continues at the pace he has the past 4 years, Fisher is a top 6 C. A good/very good 2C. He holds up even if you're only talking about points, not to mention his D game, physicality, leadership etc.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
If he continues at the pace he has the past 4 years, Fisher is a top 6 C. A good/very good 2C. He holds up even if you're only talking about points, not to mention his D game, physicality, leadership etc.

I agree with you, my point was that someone thinks of Fish at a 3C at 4 to 4.5 which is too much for a 3C. In fact I think come Oct Fish will be our 1C unfortunately. 3 days til the draft 2 days til RFA offer must be in and UFA starts on July 1 and nothing but cricket noises from Broadway. This could be a dramatically different team if things do not move in the next few days. Im sure Fish will get done the rest at this point are toss-ups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad