Dank farrik
Aug 6, 2009
Oa4vSSw.png

Hello there :naughty:

Reactions: 6stringmofo

Rass

Apr 7, 2006
rhlsim.tripod.com
Just because of that one goal he let in? Man that's too harsh.

I think he does indeed get claimed, probably by the Islanders.
6.38 GAA and .800 SV%... might be more about it than just one goal.

Still, Ottawa is totally looking like rage-quitting on him the next day. Let him sit the next couple of games, maybe even give him a last start before assigning him to Belleville to find his game back. Take time to adress the situation with him. Instead they've completely killed the least confidence level he could have in himself anymore.

He will clear waivers, but does he want to?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah, with another year left still at $2.4M AAV ($3M salary), there is no way a team claims him, even if they need a fill-in and believe he's actually a respectable NHL backup. I think he's probably a respectable NHL backup-calibre goalie (or has been the last few years anyway). But his contract will keep him from being claimed even by anybody who believes in him.

So he'll have a stint in the AHL and if he tears it up there, he'll presumably be back on track for a recall once the bloom is off for whoever falters next in Ottawa. Here's hoping he has a good run in the minors. He's a competent pro goalie. Worst case for him is he'll have made some good money and still have several years kicking around as a 3rd-stringer or European pro, sort of like McKenna. Plus he went 4 years at Princeton, so he probably has good options after hockey too.

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
I always feel like it must be a million times tougher to be a goalie than a skater in the NHL.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
If LA Really is desperate they wpuld likely require us to take back a Lewis or Clifford.

Say Kyle Clifford+Peter Budaj for Mike Condon+Jack Rodewald or something like that?

i would be fine with this as a sens fan but i dont know if la would

additionally this would give us too many forwards at the nhl level unless the game plan is to send formenton back after 1 more game

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Condon half retained (1.2M cap hit x 2 years for Budaj half retained (about 500k expiring at the end of the season)

As far as the Sens are concerned, it saves them money, more money than buying out Condon saves them.

This season, they shave a pro-rated roughly 700k off of their budget through the move, and they get Budaj who with a change of scenery maybe could play 15-20 decent games as a backup.

Next season, Ottawa saves 1.5M less whatever they spend on a replacement backup. So it's probably close to break even, but they get to go a different direction since Condon clearly is.not working out.

If you're LA, you can bury almost the entirety of Condon's half retained cap hit next season. Budaj will be off the books as well so we are talking about less than 200k of dead cap for them.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Is Condon actually better than Budaj? I'm not sure he is.

He really isn't. One of the worst goalies in the league right now.

Even in 16-17 when he had those solid stretches he still had games where he contributed to the teams loss. Basically exactly what Budaj also did in 16-17.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I hope he gets claimed. He already had low confidence and this doesn’t help. Hopefully someone in need of a goalie bites and he proves himself and finishes his carrier

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Funny because after that Hammon guy had that great season, I said signing him would be a mistake. He had fluke written all over him. I was right.

When they signed Condon, I said the same thing. I was right.

Reactions: derriko

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
The reasoning behind this move is the same as when they waived Smith, I'd bet. They want to send a message that poor efforts will not be accepted. Not sure waiving someone is the right way to say that, but I'm guessing they would also be happy to save money by losing him.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Not just the one goal, he was bad last year and they are scared to play him this year.

What did they expect after he didn't play for 3 weeks.

Condon wasn't bad last season, better than Khudobin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad