Waived: Mike Condon

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
You don't play a goalie against his former team. Tampa needs better coaches.

I don't disagree at all about Tampa's coaching being it's weak link but those softies he was letting in would have happened against any team.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Listen, nobody wants to see a player struggle but that goal is unacceptable. It wasnt a crazy bounce or deflection, it was lying on the ice when it hit him and went through. Plus the other 2 goals before that were bad too. It deflated the entire team.

1st goal was Stones fault, not his. That said, 2nd and 3rd goals we're no bueno lol.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
You don't play a goalie against his former team. Tampa needs better coaches.

I often wonder about this... I would agree that one would expect that ex-teammates would know a goalies biggest weaknesses. However, it seems to be more common then not that goalies are played against their former teams. Pretty sure....Hasek's first season with Detroit, the legendary Scotty Bowman played Hasek against Buffalo, and I am pretty sure he got lit up badly. However, if I recall correctly Scotty didn't want to play him, but Hasek pleaded to start. (could be wrong/maybe a Detroit fan can confirm)

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Sounds a lot like the Andrew Hammond story.

Senators backup plays great and gets the team to the playoffs. Signs a 3 year extension with Ottawa. Fails to live up to unreasonable expectations and is waived soon after, possibly ending their NHL career. It's crazy similar.

Hammond gets them to the playoffs in '14-'15. Signs 3 year deal in 2015. Waived in 2016. Played in only 6 games since.

Condon gets them to the playoffs in '16-'17. Signs 3 year deal in 2017. Waived now in 2018.

Remember back when they had Ben Bishop too? Traded him for Connelly, I think.

The Sens’ ability to retain Anderson is a mystery, given their track record with goalies.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I don't disagree at all about Tampa's coaching being it's weak link but those softies he was letting in would have happened against any team.

He should have been pulled after the first period but Vasi on the bench played the night before. Why have him on the bench if they don't want to use him. Poor coaching and lazy management at the end of a long road trip. They wanted to lose that game and lost it, the 3rd game in 4 nights. It all starts with the people who make the schedule, can't be that there was no chance to avoid this. Tampa should be very happy so far with Domingue.

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
Is Condon actually better than Budaj? I'm not sure he is.

From MTL perspective:
Budaj lost his job over Tokarski as the 14/15 backup for Price altough he did quite well. Traded for an AHL player (Tangradi)
Tokarski was traded to ANA and Condon took the 15/16 go-to guy spot over him and Scrivens.
Condon was eventually waived in '16.

Wouldn't touch that contract if I were LAK. I would keep the low risk/low reward guy.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I often wonder about this... I would agree that one would expect that ex-teammates would know a goalies biggest weaknesses. However, it seems to be more common then not that goalies are played against their former teams. Pretty sure....Hasek's first season with Detroit, the legendary Scotty Bowman played Hasek against Buffalo, and I am pretty sure he got lit up badly. However, if I recall correctly Scotty didn't want to play him, but Hasek pleaded to start. (could be wrong/maybe a Detroit fan can confirm)

Sure there are lots of examples when a goalie won against his former team. But why would you put yourself in a bad position and lower your chances to win, you look bad if you lose. I would always avoid this, always put my goalie in a position to succeed. It can be poisoning if you lose and they didn't pull Domingue. Snow the ex backup would have done this with Halak only to make him look bad because there was so much bad blood between them and to have a reason to waive him and the ex backup waived Halak lol.

To be on topic, Condon didn't play for 22 days, that's bad to begin with, stupid to expect good results. If they wanted to win they should have asked him to play 1 game in the AHL to gain confidence in October. Now they waived him when the game was already lost. Must be too cold there for some brains.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Sure there are lots of examples when a goalie won against his former team. But why would you put yourself in a bad position and lower your chances to win, you look bad if you lose. I would always avoid this, always put my goalie in a position to succeed. It can be poisoning if you lose and they didn't pull Domingue. Snow the ex backup would have done this with Halak only to make him look bad because there was so much bad blood between them and to have a reason to waive him and the ex backup waived Halak lol.

To be on topic, Condon didn't play for 22 days, that's bad to begin with, stupid to expect good results. If they wanted to win they should have asked him to play 1 game in the AHL to gain confidence in October. Now they waived him when the game was already lost. Must be too cold there for some brains.

Some players play better under pressure and some don’t.... some teams play harder for a goalie playing an ex team.

Is this absolutely proven that majority of goalies facing their former teams lose?

Sure some coaches may be dumb and somehow lucked their way to the big show, but if this was so such a hard fact... I don’t think goalies playing their former teams would happen as commonly as it does.

I can personally see the angle of firing the team up to get the goalie a win against a former team.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
From MTL perspective:
Budaj lost his job over Tokarski as the 14/15 backup for Price altough he did quite well. Traded for an AHL player (Tangradi)
Tokarski was traded to ANA and Condon took the 15/16 go-to guy spot over him and Scrivens.
Condon was eventually waived in '16.

Wouldn't touch that contract if I were LAK. I would keep the low risk/low reward guy.

also doesn't montreal still have Charlie Lindgren still running--comsidering what said about him I am shocked they did not put Price on waivers (this goes back to threads when he had a few good games in a row)

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
also doesn't montreal still have Charlie Lindgren still running--comsidering what said about him I am shocked they did not put Price on waivers (this goes back to threads when he had a few good games in a row)

Yes, Lindgren is the guy some fans were thinking would fetch a Schneider-like package. Good times.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Some players play better under pressure and some don’t.... some teams play harder for a goalie playing an ex team.

Is this absolutely proven that majority of goalies facing their former teams lose?

Sure some coaches may be dumb and somehow lucked their way to the big show, but if this was so such a hard fact... I don’t think goalies playing their former teams would happen as commonly as it does.

I can personally see the angle of firing the team up to get the goalie a win against a former team.

Positive pressure can be a big factor but I'm not sure if there could be positive pressure for a goalie.

I don't know stats if the majority lose facing their former team, I think it's not seldom they win. Subban won his first game with Vegas against the Bruins last season. But overall I think it's not an advantage. It's a non story if the former team shoots a goal, but bad for the goalie.

Domingue didn't have the support, his team played the 3rd game in 4 nights.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
Just now watched the highlights of that Arizona game. Jesus... And getting waived after that, brutal. I can't even imagine how awful he must feel right now.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Just now watched the highlights of that Arizona game. Jesus... And getting waived after that, brutal. I can't even imagine how awful he must feel right now.
It doesn't suck for Condon but the purpose of being waived was to send him down to the AHL and help him rebuild confidence in his game, as opposed to dump the contract and give him away. To do something that drastic, I'm sure he wouldn't have been sent down after letting in that goal if he had been playing well before.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016

Can't 100% confirm, but I'd say the scenario between Bowman and Hasek had a very good possibility of having happened.

Wings were in the West then, so the teams only played each other twice during the season. Hasek got lit up the second meeting. First time around, Bowman gave Hasek the choice of starts, either Buffalo(in Detroit) or the Isles the next day. Hasek jumped all over the chance to play his former team.

The second and final meeting was in Buffalo(Hasek started in St. Louis the night before), I can definitely see Hasek pleading to play his former team in Buffalo while Bowman being reluctant to do so, given the circumstances.

FWIW, Hasek was also on an 8 game winning streak, while the Wings were on a 15 game unbeaten streak.

As for knowing weaknesses, I'd say it goes both ways. Players know a goalies weakness in net, but also the goalie knows a players shooting tendencies.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Can't 100% confirm, but I'd say the scenario between Bowman and Hasek had a very good possibility of having happened.

Wings were in the West then, so the teams only played each other twice during the season. Hasek got lit up the second meeting. First time around, Bowman gave Hasek the choice of starts, either Buffalo(in Detroit) or the Isles the next day. Hasek jumped all over the chance to play his former team.

The second and final meeting was in Buffalo(Hasek started in St. Louis the night before), I can definitely see Hasek pleading to play his former team in Buffalo while Bowman being reluctant to do so, given the circumstances.

FWIW, Hasek was also on an 8 game winning streak, while the Wings were on a 15 game unbeaten streak.

As for knowing weaknesses, I'd say it goes both ways. Players know a goalies weakness in net, but also the goalie knows a players shooting tendencies.

Great point about the goalies knowing a players tendencies.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Sounds a lot like the Andrew Hammond story.

Senators backup plays great and gets the team to the playoffs. Signs a 3 year extension with Ottawa. Fails to live up to unreasonable expectations and is waived soon after, possibly ending their NHL career. It's crazy similar.

Hammond gets them to the playoffs in '14-'15. Signs 3 year deal in 2015. Waived in 2016. Played in only 6 games since.

Condon gets them to the playoffs in '16-'17. Signs 3 year deal in 2017. Waived now in 2018.

Edmonton did the same thing with Koskinen. Played adequately for a short stretch, then signed to a big multi-year deal.
Whoops.

Reactions: zaqq

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad