Claimed off Waivers: Mike Condon (claimed by Pitt)

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Condon will be alright in Pittsburg. If he plays one game out of nine or ten...

Teach me more about waivers. When Murray is healthy - the Penguins will likely need to move Condon. I'm assuming he's not trade eligible for some specific amount of time. Also, I assume he would have to go through waivers again in order to be sent down to the AHL. Montreal gets first crack at him correct? If the Habs grab him can they send him to the farm (assuming he passes through waivers)

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

Teach me more about waivers. When Murray is healthy - the Penguins will likely need to move Condon. I'm assuming he's not trade eligible for some specific amount of time. Also, I assume he would have to go through waivers again in order to be sent down to the AHL. Montreal gets first crack at him correct? If the Habs grab him can they send him to the farm (assuming he passes through waivers)

Can't the Penguins trade him or send back through waivers after one month but only if they offer him back to Montreal first?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Condon's good in short stretches because he relies pretty much entirely on reflexes. His positioning is wretched (especially compared to Price), but he's got ridiculously quick feet that help save him most of the time and because it's 'unorthodox' and definitely different from what a team normally faces against the Canadiens - it can throw shooters and game plans off.
But given a starting role, teams can plan against him and exploit his flaws.

On Pittsburgh it'll be interesting, because I think Condon's style is closer to Fleury's.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Condon will be alright in Pittsburg. If he plays one game out of nine or ten...

Pretty sure he will play every 9th or 10th game, Fleury will play a boat load while Murray is out. Rather have tried Jarry, he got screwed! 2 shutouts back to back in preseason and they rather play Fleury...it's pre season, let the young guy play!

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Maybe we'll see a Fleury trade once Murray is ready to come back? Remember he needs to go by the expansion draft.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Pretty sure he will play every 9th or 10th game, Fleury will play a boat load while Murray is out. Rather have tried Jarry, he got screwed! 2 shutouts back to back in preseason and they rather play Fleury...it's pre season, let the young guy play!

While true, I would rather Jarry get the starts in WBS than be back up for 1 in 10 games while MAF is the starter...

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

The Penguins can trade him to anyone at any time since they must have been the only team to submit a waiver claim.

He would have to go through waivers again before the Penguins could assign him to the AHL. Montreal would not get the first priority--there's no priority waiver preference given to former teams.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Pundits have placed a lot of heat on Therrien, Pacioretty of Subban's leadership following Price's injury last year, but IMO a lot of it was simply that Condon was awful starting in December after Price was re-injured.

Despite his promising first few weeks, he ended up with the worst SV% of the 40 or so goalies who started over 25 games last year. He had 55 starts for the Habs in total. Even worse, he was the opposite of clutch and often let his team down a goal or two after a few shots.

He's a good person who was put in a bad spot but he had the worst season for a Hab goaltender in decades.

pezcore

Jan 13, 2012
St-Hubert, Qc
good kid, happy that he gets another shot in the NHL but you can only thing that once Murray is back he's going back on waivers.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal

IIRC, he is tradeable but he need to pass through waiver before

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
The Penguins can trade him to anyone at any time since they must have been the only team to submit a waiver claim.

He would have to go through waivers again before the Penguins could assign him to the AHL. Montreal would not get the first priority--there's no priority waiver preference given to former teams.

I think the order is based off last seasons standings, not final (cup) finish.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Condon's good in short stretches because he relies pretty much entirely on reflexes. His positioning is wretched (especially compared to Price), but he's got ridiculously quick feet that help save him most of the time and because it's 'unorthodox' and definitely different from what a team normally faces against the Canadiens - it can throw shooters and game plans off.
But given a starting role, teams can plan against him and exploit his flaws.

On Pittsburgh it'll be interesting, because I think Condon's style is closer to Fleury's.

I'm not a goalie expert but I thought the above description suited more Scrivens than Condon.

When I watched Condon especially at the start of last season, he was really trying to replicate Price's style.

Anyway, I'm glad Condon gets a chance to remain in the NHL. He was awesome during the first half of the season. He had a rough stretch during the second half but he was placed in a tough situation.

I know that his tenure in Pittsburgh could be short lived but the ball is in his hands now. If Condon can prove that he is a NHL quality goaltender some teams (Buffalo, Edmonton, San Jose...) with "suspect backup situations" might come knocking at the door.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
tumblr_nw35vhzOna1shr61qo2_400.jpg

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I know this is looking way too far ahead, but if Condon plays well and Murray shows last year wasn't a fluke, I wonder if the Pens would trade Fleury early in the season and run with a Murray-Condon tandem for the year. That's a pretty solid tandem imo, Condon is a very good backup goalie.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I know this is looking way too far ahead, but if Condon plays well and Murray shows last year wasn't a fluke, I wonder if the Pens would trade Fleury early in the season and run with a Murray-Condon tandem for the year. That's a pretty solid tandem imo, Condon is a very good backup goalie.

The possibility of that is next to zero. Trades don't often happen early in the year and it's even more rare to have big money deals happen early. Plus, look at the goalie market and there really isn't anyone with a need for someone like Fleury even before accounting for cap space.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Condon is (or was, dunno if last season shot his confidence or not) a very solid backup goalie. If you take any backup in the league and make them play 40+ games of course they'll have terrible numbers. Hope he does well in Pittsburgh.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013

Let's slow down the roll for a bit. Do you honestly think the Pens will trade Fleury right after Murray gets back and have a Murray-Condon tandem when they could have traded him earlier and signed Chad Johnson or someone better? MAF will be here at least to the trade deadline. That was the plan all along. They better have a plan to move him then and there, otherwise, we lose Murray. That said, Condon is a decent backup at this point. Jarry needs to start games in the AHL, not sit the bench up here.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

I guess you could look at it as Condon having a very early audition for the back-up spot next year.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Condom? we had BB and still got Hornqvist. We will be fine, thanks.

Than good for you. Hopefully Condon will be able to protect leads and not let anything pass through. No one likes bad surprises.

see where I'm going?

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Some Habs fans are harsh on Condon. Let's just remember that he was a starting goaltender in Montreal, probably one of the most difficult job in all sports. He also had the task to replace one of the best players in the NHL.

He could very well develop into a solid backup or even a starter. I wish him that.

Good grab by Pittsburgh, low risk high reward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad