Claimed off Waivers: Mike Condon (claimed by Pitt)

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Still remember when he went on a good streak a few years ago the asking price from some was a first and a god prospect

Damn, it's bad enough when teams ask for a 1st and a good prospect, but then the start wanting god prospects instead, that's when you have to draw the line

I don't recall ever hearing anything about Condon before last year.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Damn, it's bad enough when teams ask for a 1st and a good prospect, but then the start wanting god prospects instead, that's when you have to draw the line

I don't recall ever hearing anything about Condon before last year.

I think he's mistaking Condon for Tokarski.
As for the "God" prospect, do you think Thor would switch out his hammer for a hockey stick?

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
"A few years back", Condon was an undrafted kid from Princeton. He signed his first pro contract with the Habs in 2013 to play in the AHL where he quickly beat all the other guys: Tokarski, Fucale, etc. Last year was his first in the NHL and he did pretty good for a rookie without any significant help. He obviously learned on the spot... With that experience and his attitude, he'll be a number one goalie somewhere in the league within the next two years (Vegas?). He needs to play though so being a backup this coming year wouldn't be a great situation either for him or for the team. He'll clear.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
What a fall from grace this guy has had. His confidence has to be in the toilet right now.

BigFatPapa

Oct 7, 2003
"A few years back", Condon was an undrafted kid from Princeton. He signed his first pro contract with the Habs in 2013 to play in the AHL where he quickly beat all the other guys: Tokarski, Fucale, etc. Last year was his first in the NHL and he did pretty good for a rookie without any significant help. He obviously learned on the spot... With that experience and his attitude, he'll be a number one goalie somewhere in the league within the next two years (Vegas?). He needs to play though so being a backup this coming year wouldn't be a great situation either for him or for the team. He'll clear.

Not to nitpick (I agree with the rest of your post), but he never beat Tokarski in the AHL and was never in real competition with Fucale until this year if he clears waivers and reports to St. John's.
In 2013-14, he had a very good season in the ECHL
In 2014-15, he beat veteran Joey MacDonald in the AHL, ending the season as the #1 in the AHL
In 2015-16, he beat Tokarski at the Habs training camp to start the season as #2, ultimately playing most games due to Price's injury. This was Fucale's first pro season, which he spent in the AHL.

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
Not to nitpick (I agree with the rest of your post), but he never beat Tokarski in the AHL and was never in real competition with Fucale until this year if he clears waivers and reports to St. John's.
In 2013-14, he had a very good season in the ECHL
In 2014-15, he beat veteran Joey MacDonald in the AHL, ending the season as the #1 in the AHL
In 2015-16, he beat Tokarski at the Habs training camp to start the season as #2, ultimately playing most games due to Price's injury. This was Fucale's first pro season, which he spent in the AHL.

You're absolutely right. This is what happens when you post after beer hour. I just wanted to stress that Condon, despite his age, was just a rookie last year and he should be evaluated accordingly.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
He's really, really bad.

I have no idea why Habs fans take the 12 games in which he was acceptable versus the 40 games in which he was putrid and had a GAA of above 3.00

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
He's going to have to work his way back up imo.

His propensity for goals against in the first 5 minutes is too high. Montreal always seemed to starting in a hole.

He's got too many holes in his game. He's not terrible fast. He doesn't cover the top half of the net well. His posture in net makes him look small.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
He's really, really bad.

I have no idea why Habs fans take the 12 games in which he was acceptable versus the 40 games in which he was putrid and had a GAA of above 3.00

Because he's fine as a backup, like he was the first two months of the season. But when he plays start minutes, he looks tired/slow and as a result looks terrible.

He's bad as a starting goalie, but he's decent for a cheap backup that would play roughly 15 games a year.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
He's really, really bad.

Bad Starter = Agreed
Great Back-Up considering age, contract, experience, and ability for short stretches (2-3 games). His confidence is low but he's worth the risk if you have a back-up need (some teams might want their young guys maturing on the farm playing every night instead of riding the pine all season behind an established starter).

Jul 6, 2016
Condon will be alright in Pittsburg. If he plays one game out of nine or ten...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad