Claimed off Waivers: Mike Condon (claimed by Pitt)

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Good luck Mike, I thought he did a respectable job last season as he was mostly thrown to the wolves.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
He's decent. Better than Tokarski for sure and Tokarski was actually traded for, so I'm a bit confused about this.

Tokarski was traded during the season. Everybody knew Montreal wasn't going to carry both Montoya and Condon on their opening night roster, so if a team wanted Condon all they had to do was wait until Montreal was forced to waive him and put in a claim.

jimmyemery

Dec 20, 2014
I woulda taken Condon as Talbot's backup over Gus...some cap relief too...but Gus is 750k so whatever.

You're gonna love the monster man.

If he stays healthy, he's a borderline starter. He makes some ridiculously athletic saves.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
The Penguins can trade him to anyone at any time since they must have been the only team to submit a waiver claim.

He would have to go through waivers again before the Penguins could assign him to the AHL. Montreal would not get the first priority--there's no priority waiver preference given to former teams.

Isn't waiver priority based on last year's standing until Nov 1st ?

And isn't that different from draft ranking, where the Pens were 30th ?

I don't expect St. Louis, Dallas or Washington to have made a claim, but the Pens had waiver priority over them.

PS: Just saw that Pens 1566 raised the same point.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Good luck Mike !

Liked him with the Habs, he was just thrown to the wolves backing a free falling team in his first NHL season.

When confident, he's calm and poised in the net. Just wonder if last season got to his head...

PTH

Feb 27, 2002
Quebec City
Visit site
Good luck Mike.

As a Habs fan, I liked him as a puck-stopper; his rebound control and puck handling are below par, but he can be an effective backup, as long as opposing teams don't get to break down his game and take advantage of his various flaws.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Likely a short term thing, but he's a decent and free asset. More so, except for preventing Jarry from having a few outings, there's no possible harm in it. Fine, fine.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Some Habs fans are harsh on Condon. Let's just remember that he was a starting goaltender in Montreal, probably one of the most difficult job in all sports. He also had the task to replace one of the best players in the NHL.

He could very well develop into a solid backup or even a starter. I wish him that.

Good grab by Pittsburgh, low risk high reward.

It's nothing personal, but he is just not a NHL goalie at this point. It's not a question of being harsh, it's all there in the statistics.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
When Martin Murray returns from injury, the Pens will probably end up waiving Condon to the AHL.

Wilkes-Barre Scranton Pens could have a tandem of Jarry and Condon, and assign Casey DeSmith to Wheeling ECHL and Sean Maguire to Wheeling ECHL,when Maguire returns from injury,

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Hopefully the expectations of playing on a Cup champion doesn't leave him broken.....

What expectations? He's expected to be a warm body on the bench, starting maybe 1 or 2 games until Murray comes back...at which point he'll be tossed aside.

Jarry deserved a look, but I agree with management in that starting in WBS is more important than riding the bench in Pittsburgh for a 21 year-old...same basic reason Murray would start when Fleury was hurt last year, but Zatkoff was the perpetual back-up until the playoffs. Plus there was a goaltending pinch in WBS with not just Murray out potentially causing a trickle-down effect, but Maguire as well.

When Martin Murray returns from injury, the Pens will probably end up waiving Condon to the AHL.

Wilkes-Barre Scranton Pens could have a tandem of Jarry and Condon, and assign Casey DeSmith to Wheeling ECHL and Sean Maguire to Wheeling ECHL,when Maguire returns from injury,

Matt* ;)

Even with the goaltending pinch I wasn't too terribly concerned with what Wheeling would do, because they get fed by Pittsburgh and Montreal. Interestingly enough Mike Condon was the Wheeling Nailers starter in 2013-14.

Last edited:

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Even with the goaltending pinch I wasn't too terribly concerned with what Wheeling would do, because they get fed by Pittsburgh and Montreal. Interestingly enough Mike Condon was the Wheeling Nailers starter in 2013-14.

I think that ended a couple years ago, but not positive on that.

As for the pickup, I'm ok with it. Give Jarry the starts in WBS, and having another goalie option with NHL experience is always a good thing. If we lose him when MM comes back, oh well, no big deal.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I think that ended a couple years ago, but not positive on that.

As for the pickup, I'm ok with it. Give Jarry the starts in WBS, and having another goalie option with NHL experience is always a good thing. If we lose him when MM comes back, oh well, no big deal.

I just saw an infographic that was indeed wrong...Montreal ditched Wheeling for Brampton before last season, so the Pens did need another organizational goalie. Wheeling being partnered with anyone but Pittsburgh just felt wrong, even if Montreal was really only sending goalies there.

At least Condon is better than Irving, if he clears waivers once Murray returns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad