Mike Cammalleri question

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
Yes we all know he got traded days after making a comment about the team that they play like losers and have a losers attitude and Gauthier instead of backing up Cammy, he trades him for what, cause he was being honest? Let's say Cammalleri would have never gotten traded, you think Marc Bergevin would have traded him or kept him? What MB would have done if he was GM at the time and Cammy made that comment? do like Gauthier did and trade him? or have a talk with him about his comments.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
That was the last incident, but Cammy was playing like garbage at the time and everyone wanted him and his 6M$ contract out the door.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Yes we all know he got traded days after making a comment about the team that they play like losers and have a losers attitude and Gauthier instead of backing up Cammy, he trades him for what, cause he was being honest? Let's say Cammalleri would have never gotten traded, you think Marc Bergevin would have traded him or kept him? What MB would have done if he was GM at the time and Cammy made that comment? do like Gauthier did and trade him? or have a talk with him about his comments.

Back then, it's was a cap issue too. Plus he was playing poorly for 5.5M.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
What Pierre Gauthier did was classless, but it was an awesome troll job, especially the jersey thing. Seems like something someone on HF would do.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Blame Gauthier or the return all you want but Cammy was playing like hot garbage and was tied here for 2 more years at 7m salary and 6m caphit. Limited options with a guy like him and he brought nothing when he wasn't sniping 'em in.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
He was the loser mentality. He had the worst work ethic and stood out as the worst player relative to their usage on a bad team.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Blame Gauthier or the return all you want but Cammy was playing like hot garbage and was tied here for 2 more years at 7m salary and 6m caphit. Limited options with a guy like him and he brought nothing when he wasn't sniping 'em in.

Regardless of how he was playing, he got the flighty emo teen breakup treatment because he spoke honestly. Gauthier cut his nose off to spite his face by accepting a deal that Calgary wanted...instead of letting Cammy make himself more valuable and forcing Cunneyworth to put him in the top 6.

The proof of the fact that it was a hasty, emotional move was he was traded mid-game and treated like **** on his way out.

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
I remember nights where Plekanec would finish -4 because of how ****** Cammy was playing. Wouldn't back check after terrible turnovers if his life depended on it.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I'm glad both Gauthier and Cammalleri are gone.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Me, myself and Mike was his nickname when he wasn't in the room. That should be enough to tell you why he was moved.

The n00b King

Kingin' since 2003
Feb 10, 2008
Singapore
Well considering that the coach was Cunneyworth, the whole team was playing like garbage.

I would never consider Squid a good leader, but the guy was undeniably talented. He has 11 pts in 12 games played right now. I'd say that's pretty good.

I had gotten the feeling that he really lost faith in things when he didn't get the captaincy. Not saying that that was good in character, but I think this was the moment that things started going down for him.

He's the kind of player you want to have as a complimentary piece but not a main piece. I think he thought he was more important to the team than he might have actually been. So ya, a bit of an attitude problem (that goes all the way back to his days with LA).

But today? I'd take him over PA and I like PA.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Regardless of how he was playing, he got the flighty emo teen breakup treatment because he spoke honestly. Gauthier cut his nose off to spite his face by accepting a deal that Calgary wanted...instead of letting Cammy make himself more valuable and forcing Cunneyworth to put him in the top 6.

The proof of the fact that it was a hasty, emotional move was he was traded mid-game and treated like **** on his way out.

Yeah, I tend to lean to this interpretation. Classless move by a franchise famous for its class.

On the other hand, Cammy was inconsistent and should have been traded. The return should have been better.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
Too streaky. Too small. Soft. And was starting to complain. Not the leader we needed here. People will talk about Bork's contract and now being in the AHL all they want, but the time we got from Bork including the great playoff run was equivalent to the half effort Camm would have given us here. If Camm was still here on his high wages, he would have been a terrible influence on the young players. At least Bork isn't paid that much and was played on the 3rd line.

It's no wonder we've a better team without him.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
The whole team was garbage that season. So I'm not buying the notion he alone was tuned out. I think he would have played out his contract with us, then we'd go from there based on productivity.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I have no problem trading Cammalleri. However, the way it was done and the return were awful. A mid-game trade for a poorly-scouted player.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
I have no problem trading Cammalleri. However, the way it was done and the return were awful. A mid-game trade for a poorly-scouted player.

A lot of people here thought the trade was awesome. How many times did I hear Bourque alone was a great return. So many people were hurt by Cammy's comments but he was right. They played like crap. Any other team he would have been applauded. But not in Montreal.

I still think he was better than many people thought.

ninjagaiden

Oct 1, 2014
A lot of people here thought the trade was awesome. How many times did I hear Bourque alone was a great return. So many people were hurt by Cammy's comments but he was right. They played like crap. Any other team he would have been applauded. But not in Montreal.

It WAS a good deal at the time.

Bourque IIRC was injured but had a good start to the season and had just come off two 27 goal seasons in a row.

Cammalleri was small, soft and wasn't scoring.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Cammalleri's comments were 100% right, but his on-ice game had regressed. He was unbelievably soft on the puck and along the boards, exactly the non-character player Bergevin would NOT want. Talent isn't debatable -- he's got real skill, but it wasn't working anymore. This was clearly an unhappy player whose game reflected his sulky mood.

But agree or not, once the decision was made to trade him, at least do it properly. Sell high. Instead, Gauthier negotiated from weakness, a couple of days after Cammy's public comments, and then finalized the trade in the middle of a frikkin game, pulling Cammalleri after the second period while Habs were down a goal!! Absolutely ridiculous.

And then do your homework on the asset coming back. Where was the pro-scouting to tell Gauthier that Bourque's 25 goals were streakier than Halley's Comet? Everyone could see Bourque's stats, but we needed real intel to inform Gauthier that the nice goal numbers came with faulty wiring. The scouting didn't look any deeper than Bourque's stat-page on NHL.com.

Terrible asset management going out and coming in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad