Mike Brown Signs 2 Year Contract -_-

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back
get rid of wilson before he either messes up the rebuild badly, or he continues to throw idiotic money at useless bench warmers and states i did my part to build a winner.

Yeah good point. If re-building, that is wasted dollars as we can let a youngster from the A play the role / if still going for the big show, that is still wasted dollars. Better to save some and get the D in order. We need minimally 2 additions back there, minimally. Again, the role of Brown can still be played via someone from the A or free agency near the minimal salary marker. I at the least hope this means maybe Burish is on the way out?

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
No problem. It's not a major debilitating signing like David Clarkson was for Toronto but it's disappointing to see because it's only showing DW's flaws are not being acknowledged...another supporting point for that is his desire to keep Roy Sommer.

There will be good moves here and there will be bad moves. Our manager simply isn't good enough right now to build a Cup caliber team and I question whether he's good enough to rebuild this team either since he's never done it before.

Your last paragraph is the scariest one, and one that has not gotten enough chatter on these boards. We have no idea if Doug Wilson can rebuild a team and that's why I'm worried about us doing a rebuild at this point. We have no idea how he'll be able to do it or if he has the ability too.

We also have no idea if TM can coach a young team. He was on a very well put together team with plenty of vets in Detroit and then came here with the same setup. I'm not at all sold on him being able to coach a "bad" team.

I'm really wary of a rebuild, I have a sneaking suspicion it will go horribly wrong.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Your last paragraph is the scariest one, and one that has not gotten enough chatter on these boards. We have no idea if Doug Wilson can rebuild a team and that's why I'm worried about us doing a rebuild at this point. We have no idea how he'll be able to do it or if he has the ability too.

We also have no idea if TM can coach a young team. He was on a very well put together team with plenty of vets in Detroit and then came here with the same setup. I'm not at all sold on him being able to coach a "bad" team.

I'm really wary of a rebuild, I have a sneaking suspicion it will go horribly wrong.

We should talk about DW's ability/inability to lead this rebuild. I have more faith in Todd because of his success in the WHL and AHL with younger players/rosters. He could be a great coach for this rebuild.

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back

Well, most rebuilds are in no way short or easy and, when a gm is stating that in a couple years we could see ourselves stepping forward again, that in itself makes me weary (we have no idea how prospects and youth players will turn out, especially when some are given leadership roles at a young age). Rebuilds are rarely short. Of recent, Boston got lucky via cleaning house of all management and coaching and bringing in Chiarelli then Neely and, while attendance dipped pretty harshly, they realized they had to make a couple huge free agent splashes. Otherwise their re-build could have and would have taken quite longer than wanted.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I don't believe DW is a good enough GM to take a franchise through a successful rebuild.

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA

This team is not going into rebuild mode any time soon. The are doing a refresh, with the extent of the refresh still unknown. Even if both Marleau and Thornton are traded I still wouldn't consider it a rebuild, or at the very least a rebuild on the fly. If they get rid of 4 or more 30+ guys that have decent value, i.e. Marleau, Thornton, Pavs, Niemi and Burns, then I would consider it a full rebuild.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
I've always been okay with all DW's signings when he made them, but this is kinda hard to justify. I'd have accepted the 1.2m cap hit, if it was for one year. But two years..?

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back
This team is not going into rebuild mode any time soon. The are doing a refresh, with the extent of the refresh still unknown. Even if both Marleau and Thornton are traded I still wouldn't consider it a rebuild, or at the very least a rebuild on the fly. If they get rid of 4 or more 30+ guys that have decent value, i.e. Marleau, Thornton, Pavs, Niemi and Burns, then I would consider it a full rebuild.

or, how about Stuart, Hannan, Burish, and Niemi,,,that would seem a bit more beneficial to get rid of them first, the non necessities. Yes, not a great return on this bunch but, at the least they won't be on our squad any longer. Then after they are gone, we can look at options for the others, 'if' we go into full rebuild at this time.

Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Jul 5, 2007
San Jose, CA
He played 3 out of 6 playoff games in the previous year. He was a regular. Get over it.

He played 8 min a game and didn't do anything besides go -1 for a team that lost in the first round. He may have been a regular then (even that's debatable), but he wasn't a regular on the team that won the 2013 cup.

Better in what way? He is practically the same player just marginally better in a few areas.

Brown is probably faster than Mayers. Neither are impact players. They both are part of the NHL that is no longer. There is no stock in non-skill players who just hit and fight anymore. Neither player belongs in the NHL (well Mayers is older and retired now, but still).

Well, I certainly think we ridiculously overpaid for Burish. I am certainly for trading him. Its not like he has a NTC or NMC to his contract.

The GM that trades for Burish is one who clearly hasn't payed attention to the NHL in the last few years.

As far as manbearpig goes, he was a pickup that seemed like an ok roster player. He served an ok purpose here. We tried the fit, it wasn't that good, and we can trade him. Doesn't have a NTC or NMC.

Tyler Kennedy wasn't a fit at all. I agree here. Who knows if he has anything left. He looked bad his last year with the Pens as well.

We would not have won the cup. Clear as day. Thats why we're entertaining offers for Thornton and other players.

It's hard to argue whatifs. The Sharks didn't win the cup. That's all that matters. Thornton and Marleau aren't going to be good players forever. Iginla is an example of letting a long time franchise player go for not much. Iginla is still good, so that's I don't know if that's the best example.

Getting depth players isn't exactly science or some set formula. High quality depth players that turn it on for the playoffs and stay that way the entire playoffs is practically a myth that really has only appeared on Boston's team or on Chicago's 2010 stacked team.

High quality depth players figure out a way to contribute to the cause. Look at LA and NYR. Both of their 4th lines were instrumental for them, especially the Rangers. They obviously aren't going to be the MVPs of the team, but they need to competent NHL players. Mike Brown is not that. He's an enforcer/agitator, but in today's NHL that doesn't matter anymore. You need to have some type of offensive or defensive skill to help out.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Really??

:facepalm:

I mean it doesn't matter, we are going to have loads of cap space, but still? wtf DW?

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Speaking of terrible CORSI players… Poor Dougie haha

Mike Brown (-5.7%) 346/363.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
19 games in the lockout shortened season and IIRC he was injured somehow and thats why he wasn't playing.

He played 81 games for them the previous season and 3 playoff games.

He was a regular roster player, guys. Thats all there is to it.

And your point would be what exactly? That the Hawks won the Cup with a useless 4th liner looking from the press box? I'm not saying it's make or break but it is a poor signing that didn't need to be done and only shows that DW hasn't learned from his mistakes. Mayers was paid about half of what Brown is going to get. 1.2 mil for a guy that isn't, and more importantly shouldn't be, an every game player is too much. If they're rebuilding, one of their many prospects who are bottom six players at best should be filling the void. If they're contending, they're doing themselves a great disservice using Brown as a depth player.

That's really all there is to it. Just because it's not a Clarkson level mistake doesn't mean it isn't a mistake worth criticizing.

Irbes Mask

Like Wall
Jun 15, 2013
California
Wahh wahh, such overreaction and it's not even July yet. Oh noes, Brown was overpaid by 5-600k annually and the cap is going up! Sharks fans are going to meet the salary floor after years of flirting with the cap. Prepare your heart medication.

Zeroz

Frightened Inmate #2
Jul 20, 2011
Oregon
Why all the hate? I'm very late to the party on this one but wow, so much B****ing going on in here. I like the signing.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Wahh wahh, such overreaction and it's not even July yet. Oh noes, Brown was overpaid by 5-600k annually and the cap is going up! Sharks fans are going to meet the salary floor after years of flirting with the cap. Prepare your heart medication.

I really don't see the need to patronize people because they have an opinion on this matter. Brown shouldn't have been signed. He doesn't bring anything to the team worth keeping especially in a rebuild situation.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
DW just can't contain himself from giving out multi-year deals to scrubs can he? As if Burish wasn't enough.

Rickety Cricket

Mar 8, 2006
Not Kent Huskins
What really bugs me about this the term and contract shows that DW still believes he needs players like Brown on the 4th line. I was hoping he would lean towards adding more skilled players across all lines.

I'd actually be fine if it was a one year $800K deal, maybe even two years, but paying him over $1 mil a year to me indicates he plans on him being a regular in the lineup.

Southlake

May 3, 2012
More $ than I would like, but I don't hate hate it. Part of that is based on a gut feeling that we won't have Burish or Kennedy at the start of the season.

I wonder if this is DW's way of sending a bit of a message? Bear with me- but some of the big complaints about the Sharks are that we haven't played with intensity, and that our best players haven't shown up or given 150%. Brown is far from the most talented guy on the team- but his effort and intensity have been top notch. I'm not suggesting that we award those traits at the expense of talent, but perhaps this is DW's way of showing how much these traits are valued? Just an idea.

I'm not thrilled with it, but I'll withhold my judgment until the rest of the roster moves are complete.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
It's odd. Both Juicy and Demers were stoked. Didn't say anything to Alex - though we know both like him.

Perhaps they know Stalock's deal means another popular teammate in Niemi is headed out? Probably making something out of nothing here. Teammates are always happy to see "good guys" get paid.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Well, most rebuilds are in no way short or easy and, when a gm is stating that in a couple years we could see ourselves stepping forward again, that in itself makes me weary (we have no idea how prospects and youth players will turn out, especially when some are given leadership roles at a young age). Rebuilds are rarely short. Of recent, Boston got lucky via cleaning house of all management and coaching and bringing in Chiarelli then Neely and, while attendance dipped pretty harshly, they realized they had to make a couple huge free agent splashes. Otherwise their re-build could have and would have taken quite longer than wanted.

Yes that's what makes me worried. I understand rebuilds don't bring any guarantees with them, which is why unlike so many here I'm not ready to jump feet first into one.

I'm sorry but I think you're flat out wrong. Trading the faces of your franchise, who also happen to still be your best players, add Boyle in there who may have lost a step but was a major part of this core. Then add in the very real possibility that any or all of havlat, niemi, Stuart, Kennedy, Shepard, Hannan and other lesser players, could be also leaving and it's beyond just a retool or refresh. It's a whole new team.

Also the idea that we are changing the culture further lends itself to a rebuild. You don't about face on how your team plays without massive personnel changes, and a "rebuild" of the roster to better accomplish your new system or strategy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad