Mike Babcock still one of the best to do it - The Real Boss of the Leafs

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I like how he doesn't make knee jerk decisions. He understands how long a season is, and how good players can have good games and bad games. We've seen Leafs give up on players who "don't seem to be cutting it" after a bad stretch, or a couple young seasons, then they trade them for who's PlayingWellRightNow(tm), and then we miss out on a player who otherwise could have had a long prosperous career with the club.

Leafs management, including Babcock, understand that a larger sample size is needed to fully judge a player. Fans and media do not -- they are too emotional. Babcock and the rest of the management team are true professionals, they have a vision and a process for evaluating and deploying players, and I'm happy to see they're sticking to it no matter what the optics are -- even if in the long run it doesn't work out, I'll be happy that they weren't just tossing and turning chasing the gimmick of the day and trust that they will appropriately adapt when the time is right.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Babcock's going to have made the playoffs in 13 out of 15 seasons as HC in the NHL yet people still want to *****. He's going to get us to the playoffs and anything is possible from there

Apparently that's not good enough.

I don't know what is up with some people who post on here.

Would you prefer we took the Oilers approach?

We're sitting pretty right now, and I know that can change believe me, I KNOW.

But someone tells you at the start of the season that the Leafs are 3rd in the Atlantic and 10 points up on falling into a wild card spot beyond half way, you take that and run.

I feel like the Leafs are playing at a low point right now. This is our low point (I hope) so any upside from here is very good.

leafs are an above average team that was absolute bottom of the league before last season and making the playoffs last season was seen as a bit of a miracle.

I'm fine with people pointing out that this team can be better, but let's please take it easy and also realize we're doing pretty good and perhaps right now we're just in a bit of a funk and pretty much every team ever does this at least once a season if not more.

Let's see how we finish, and even if that's bad at least it's not rock bottom from the get go like it was for so long there.

It's going to be ok. We have never had this type of young talent and upside since I've been a fan, and it really feels like the guys in charge know what they're doing. They're not miracle workers though. Shit takes time.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Find me one fanbase who doesn't whine about their coach, literally every team that's passed the honeymoon phase does it.

I don't agree with every decision he makes, for instance Matthews should be playing more, and always our go to guy in situations like OT and the PP. But you can't deny his pedigree, he's still a top 5 coach or higher in the league.

It very well could be A LOT worse.
I agree but at times he should let his assistants coach a bit too ...I'm sure DJ isn't running polka and carrick out there instead of dermott .
babcock is getting what he can out of a mediocre lineup ..but I also think that sitting one of marner or nylander when they take a nite off would benefit them ..marner especially .hes an immense talent that if we don't watch ,will be part of a muskoka 3 if it isn't nipped in the bud .

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Komarov gets substantially less PP time per game than every forward but Hyman and Martin.

Komarov plays about half as much as Brown on the PP, yet has twice the PP points (2).

Komarov's usage on the PP is not an issue on this team.

Leo's had 3 seconds of PP time in the last 4 games.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The hired me to decide...... sure but perhaps you should consider changing your approach.
The team has had the life sucked out of it

But keeps adding points and sustaining its PO spot. Do people think we should be where Tampa is? If so tell Willy and Mitch to play better as well as Kadri, Komarov and Marleau too.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Komarov gets substantially less PP time per game than every forward but Hyman and Martin.

Komarov plays about half as much as Brown on the PP, yet has twice the PP points (2).

Komarov's usage on the PP is not an issue on this team.
it seems there are no issues on this team according to you and others

- the team playing like crap for an extended period of time , no issue
- Hyman and his 2 even strength goals his last 36 games , no issue
- the Kadri line dead for a couple of months , no issue
- Marleau having zero chemistry on the Kadri line all year , no issue
- Komo being a black hole offensively all year , no issue
- Polak clearly losing a step this year and a liability 5 on 5 but still playing every night , no issue
- Babs going to a system that clearly isn't playing to the teams strength , no issue
- Babs o/t player usage , no issue
- Babs gluing Hyman to AM and Komo to Kadri and never trying alternatives , no issue

the teams come a long way in a short period of time but that doesn't mean we should blindly defend every move the coach/mgmt make , they , like the players are not above being held accountable for their performance

Last edited:
Reactions: dsred

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Well they do make the same mistakes over and over and over....

Granted, a lot of guys (see Mitchell Apolo Ohno Marner) are showing they are too one dimensional.

iliketheteam

Jan 10, 2018
It's a shame that lately for every post like this:

Apparently that's not good enough.

I don't know what is up with some people who post on here.

Would you prefer we took the Oilers approach?

We're sitting pretty right now, and I know that can change believe me, I KNOW.

But someone tells you at the start of the season that the Leafs are 3rd in the Atlantic and 10 points up on falling into a wild card spot beyond half way, you take that and run.

I feel like the Leafs are playing at a low point right now. This is our low point (I hope) so any upside from here is very good.

leafs are an above average team that was absolute bottom of the league before last season and making the playoffs last season was seen as a bit of a miracle.

I'm fine with people pointing out that this team can be better, but let's please take it easy and also realize we're doing pretty good and perhaps right now we're just in a bit of a funk and pretty much every team ever does this at least once a season if not more.

Let's see how we finish, and even if that's bad at least it's not rock bottom from the get go like it was for so long there.

It's going to be ok. We have never had this type of young talent and upside since I've been a fan, and it really feels like the guys in charge know what they're doing. They're not miracle workers though. **** takes time.

There are multiple posts like this:

He's killing Matthews.

I know I should hit the "button" but somehow I can't :huh:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Overtime is RUN and GUN. Just use the fastest players. Period.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
The hired me to decide...... sure but perhaps you should consider changing your approach.
The team has had the life sucked out of it

And his “decisions” have seen Leafs lose 2nd spot in Atlantic to Bruins by losing about what 15 games? In the last 20 games.

Brutal!

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
But keeps adding points and sustaining its PO spot. Do people think we should be where Tampa is? If so tell Willy and Mitch to play better as well as Kadri, Komarov and Marleau too.

As a line, they just don't click. Don't think they should be where Tampa is but can you honestly say this team shouldn't be better than they're showing?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
As a line, they just don't click. Don't think they should be where Tampa is but can you honestly say this team shouldn't be better than they're showing?

I have always thought Marleau is the square peg round hole with Kadri. He is a fast player that has had the EBrake engaged on. Kadri plays at Leivo speed and so does Leo, maybe Brown could be a missing link to connect them but Marleau Kadri, hasn't ever been magic.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Boston is now 7 points behind Tampa with a game in hand.
Hedman out 3-6 weeks.

Next 5 games Boston: NYI, Montreal, NJ, Ottawa, Anaheim
Next 5 games Tampa: Vegas, Minnesota, Chicago, Nashville, Philly

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
'They hired me to decide': Maple Leafs' Babcock hears grumbling as ...

Triple Gold Club member Mike Babcock didn’t get where he is by worrying about the whims of public opinion.

Nor did Babcock, a Stanley Cup champion with gold medals at the hockey world championships and Olympics, expect to complete his Maple Leafs tenure without having his wisdom challenged by critics who think he could be ruining a good gig with his deployment of dynamic players in ultra defensive mode and refusing to change forward lines, power plays and defence tandems.

continued ..

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
What ?! Marleau is on pace for 25 goals this season (he has 15 goals) and people are ******** that he has no chemistry with Kadri, etc?

This is insane.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
What ?! Marleau is on pace for 25 goals this season (he has 15 goals) and people are ******** that he has no chemistry with Kadri, etc?

This is insane.
I need to see how many of his points are with Kadri, how many came when he was centering a line and how many came on the PP.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I’m sure he doesn’t care but don’t underestimate this markets ability to run someone out of town there bud

You're right. The vocal minority of idiots could make a lot of noise, trying to ruin a
Good thing. Plenty of examples.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad