Mike Babcock still one of the best to do it - The Real Boss of the Leafs

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
If it weren't for the 4 shootout wins they'd be 21-17-5-3 (W-L-T-OTL). Four whole games over .500 and not even Bettman .600 more than halfway through the season in an utter garbage division is nothing to be happy about.
If it weren’t for all of our losses we’d be 50-0!

Reactions: bax

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
You mean guys like Komarov shouldn't be getting 20+ minutes a game, powerplay time, 3 on 3 time, penalty kill, used in every situation? But, doesn't his 10 or 11 points warrant so much offensive playing time?

He's stagnating the third line with Marleau/Kadri and Komarov. There's probably no line in the NHL that has less chemistry than those 3 do.

Marleau has no points in weeks. Kadri has like one goal since November.

Something is definitely wrong when players like Komarov and Hyman get more playing time than your skilled players.

Stubborn as a mule he is and it's costing them points in the standings.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
how would we have ties? are you counting the deducted s/o wins as ties? then shouldn't there be 4?

4 shootout wins and 1 loss.

so last year we didn't have enough shoot out wins...this year we have too many? Haha! You seriously never win with leafs fans.

You could make the most obtuse misinterpretation of what I said, sure, or maybe realize that the point is that they're not winning enough games in regulation/OT, i.e. the kind of wins that actually count in the playoffs.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
If it weren't for the 4 shootout wins they'd be 21-17-5-3 (W-L-T-OTL). Four whole games over .500 and not even Bettman .600 more than halfway through the season in an utter garbage division is nothing to be happy about.
If it weren't for my penis, I'd be my brother's sister, but that just aint how things work

TimPeel

Dec 10, 2017
Babcock, like most coaches in this league is a victim of having too much structure. I really enjoyed watching us crush teams at the beginning of the year, and instead of building confidence, Babcock sucked the life out of the team. I have been a fan of this team since 1990, watching consistently since 93, and even throughout the Carlyle/Maurice, I have never seen my team play so stale, since at least late November.

I also partially blame the officiating for some of the garbage hockey I have seen since the start of the season. Clutching and grabbing is destroying this team, and Babcock's system amplifies this problem. We need to play to our strengths, not let other shit franchises dictate the pace of the game. Also, I believe politics are playing a huge role in sucking the confidence out of this group. Hyman, whose work ethic is commendable, should not be stapled to Matthews at all times. our best players should always start an overtime. Until the excitement returns and I see some masculine hockey I am checking out. This league is neutered.

Reactions: dsred and ToMaLe

iliketheteam

Jan 10, 2018
Look at his ice time and usage and you tell me who's ruining what.

Matthews is not some frail flower who needs to be pampered. He can be workhorse for this team rather than this shiny object you bring out for 5 minutes a game to placate people who are angry after watching Hyman and Komarov being idiots on the ice for 55 minutes.

Leads Leaf forwards in EV TOI/GP
4 secs behind JVR for the lead in PP TOI/GP
Leads Leaf forwards in Total TOI/GP

But rail on with your perceptions.

TimPeel

Dec 10, 2017
Matthews hasn't looked the same since earlier in the year. Noticing some small errors he used to never make until his concussion. He will get back to normal soon, I hope. I think ultimately many players will appreciate winning with Babcock, but hate his coaching methods and systems, like Zetterberg.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Matthews hasn't looked the same since earlier in the year. Noticing some small errors he used to never make until his concussion. He will get back to normal soon, I hope. I think ultimately many players will appreciate winning with Babcock, but hate his coaching methods and systems, like Zetterberg.

Weirdly enough, I believe Matthews is having his own star player version of the sophomore slump... Instead of being invisible for long stretches like Marner/Nylander... He just makes normal plays, and scores normally, along with normal mistakes.

For Matthews thats a slump in his own right

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

I saw him pull a Bozak and just stop caring on the backcheck a couple games ago.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Honeymoon is over and the fans and media are starting to ask tough questions and that’s fair but it’s too soon judge I think. If this kind of nonsense goes on in the playoffs and they flame out in the first round look out.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
So yeah', I don't need a bunch of suckas, I just go solo. So I'ma make a real hard stand here. Defending Babcock like he is doing his with (our) Maple Leafs. We love this team and got that twerk. Now shake that thang off and enjoy this entertaining game and team. Let's be behind Mike and the team and Lou too. They real cool, and I'ma be there.
Damn straight!

You da man!

:devdance:

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Back in the day, Pat Quinn lowered Mats Sundin's minutes per game to the low 20s in an effort to keep him fresher. There is something to be had in keeping your top guy in his possible best condition as you get to play your other guys more and keep the 4th liners in more of a game shape. If you play guys, they won't complain about not getting ice time (who knew?). And adding to that, who is to say that a slightly more tired Matthews will produce at the same rate, and isn't it a coach's prerogative to maximize his talents? Part of that has to do with keeping them as free from injury as possible.

With that being said, Babcock's deployment has been a bit weird because unlike Matthews, Komarov's been playing way too much and it's having a noticeable impact on his skating and chippiness. There are some very deserving players, not just Matthews, that can bring similar elements that Komarov brings (Brown, Kapanen) but also guys that haven't been getting their fair shake (Leivo).

What's been bothering me is that Babcock seems to not notice this--when he was told that Komarov had played an obscene number of minutes one night, he seemed a bit surprised and have a non-answer that he'll have his guys look into that. Could those minutes have gone to the team's best player? How about the journeymen that have something to prove? He's said it himself that Brown is getting shafted...but he's also said the same thing about Leivo, and Kapanen in some way or another.

And then there's the stuff that's going on with Hainsey, Polak, and Carrick.

Shit's whack yo.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
The Toronto media has always been good at stooping so low as to raise the convictions of individuals who don't have a clue.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
I still think the Leafs are alright.

Two problems this last stretch.

1. Kadri been going head to head against the best line on the other team.

That Tampa game like 2 weeks ago, their top line no points. The next game against San Jose, their top line no points. The following few games, the other team top line very few points basically, not 5 on 5.

Think about that for one second. The Maple Leafs were able to limit the other teams best lines to 1 goal or less in the games played the last two weeks (most cannot remember all of them).

So why have not the Leafs been winning all of those games? If you hold the opposition best line off the score sheet at home, you should win.

The rest of the team has not been scoring. They could criticize Kadri for not scoring, but that really is expecting too much. If his line shuts down the other team's big line, that is a big step towards winning. Kadri is good, but not that good to win games all by himself.

2. Zaitsev. The problem there is he is not in the lineup.

Zaitsev and Hainsey were the go to guys to close out the game. There were not many blown games late when he was in the lineup earlier in the season.

Babcock knows what he is doing. But when those go to guys are not there, you got no choice except to hope for the best.

Reactions: Coachcorner

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Tsn critizing and reporting real hard on babcock right now. Hfboards giving coach babcock some real tough judgement here. Elsewhere too. Babcock said at tsn: "I was hired to decide." That's a real hard comeback to all of y'all. He is being paid big money of one of the biggest coach jobs in the world. The Toronto Maple leafs head coach. That hard right there son. He did it in Detroit too, great hockey market. Babcock still knows the game and plays with the best, winners. We got a WINNING record as we speak, like 25 - 18 -3. That's real juicy and hard right there as we go on the 50 game mark and like that. Only 32 games left something like that there. We real cool. Babcock makes that stand also by giving something away. He knows the critizizing is going over boards and happening. He has read something and heard something: Clearly. We have evidense. He tells: I was hired to decide. That's a real hard mark for all of y'all. We are not hired, cause we ain't good enough like babcock is and not could be handling the biggest market like he is. He has made a cool, humouristic atmosphere, loose and hard at the same time, and they still WIN. Playoffs too, just like last year and this year happening again.

So yeah', I don't need a bunch of suckas, I just go solo. So I'ma make a real hard stand here. Defending Babcock like he is doing his with (our) Maple Leafs. We love this team and got that twerk. Now shake that thang off and enjoy this entertaining game and team. Let's be behind Mike and the team and Lou too. They real cool, and I'ma be there.

You go, senor...what's funny is that it appears some of those TSN employees read these forums often for inspiration and might also post here as well. :laugh:

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
While I admit that some of Babcock's decisions are questionable from outside the organization, I have no idea what the organization wants to achieve with this developing team. This team is not a finished product. There will be changes and I suggest that there is a purpose to the madness which we are not privy to. I would also suggest that we look at the roster and examine how the players are playing before we start throwing stones at Babcock. Your views may vary.

Elite: Andersen, maybe, save for the first month and determine for yourselves.
Very Good: Matthews (injury and not presently firing on all cylinders Imo). Rielly, our best D by far, including mistakes.
Good: Hainsey, Marleau, JVR, Hyman...they've all exceeded my expectations in areas, but have issues that hinder their overall grade.
Not meeting expectations, but talented and acceptable: Nylander, Marner, Borgman (could say he's good as he's a rookie, but like every rookie mistakes are made), Brown, Kadri (Kadri could be a candidate for the next category)
Talented but not acceptable: Gardiner, Bozak, Zaitsev (possibly Kadri, the last 20 games not acceptable, the first 20 quite good). I include Zaitsev here because of the number of zone entries he allows and his consistent record of not working well with his partner. Last year with Rielly, this year Gardiner.
Mediocre talent, acceptable: Martin, Komarov (pk), MacElhinny (how the heck do you spell his name?)
Mediocre talent, unacceptable: Komarov (es), Moore, Carrick
It ain't there: Polak
Not graded due to the number of games played: Freddy the Goat, Sosh, Dermott, Leivo

If you take the 50/50 gradings of Kadri and Komarov and add them together to create 1 acceptable and 1 unacceptable, the Leafs by my way of looking at things have 7 players riding an unacceptable or worse streak. That's a third of your roster. Awfully difficult to consistently win when this number of players are not playing up to their capabilities. One can argue that Babcock's usage of these players is contributing to their underperforming grades.

Nylander and Marner need to play better regardless of where they are in the line-up (a case of the sophomore slump?). Kadri has to get on the score sheet. Bozak and Gardiner...frustrations abound with these two. The point being for all 5, it's up to them to perform better.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Honeymoon is over and the fans and media are starting to ask tough questions and that’s fair but it’s too soon judge I think. If this kind of nonsense goes on in the playoffs and they flame out in the first round look out.

Oh no, some insignificant pigeons are going to light up twitter and HF? I'm sure Babs is really concerned :laugh:

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Not as smart as he thinks. Then again, his opinion of himself is also based on his thinker....

What he does know for sure, is that he's a big deal. And that Hyman is also 'one of the best' (the best?).

But you are right. He is the boss. That Hyman deal, that STUPID Marleau deal, the Pollack re-signing, the Nylander benchings, the banishment of Leivo,,,,,,, NONE of it, NONE,,, happens without him.

Last edited:

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Babs is still teaching, he will unleash it next season, or perhaps he'll feel a bit rushed and we'll start to see it heading into the playoff push.

Shanny has a plan. He's a patient man. His first year here he just watched, then he took out a machete on the entire organization.

A lot of fans (must be young or new) don't get it. It's not about this year it's about every year after. This is a new organization and I've never seen the Leafs under this kind of plan, which is the right plan. I've only been a die-hard fan since 1996 though.

But aside from all that, man do I not want to hear negative crap about Babcock you know why? Because he isn't going anywhere for another 3 seasons after this and that's only if HE wants to leave. He has an 8 year contract with an opt out after year 5 for HIM if he's not happy here.

Just suck it up and accept that Babcock is the Leafs coach for the very long foreseeable future. AKA there is no point making this board negative and depressing about something that absolutely will not be changed.

Look on the bright side because there's no point fine combing the negatives.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Babcock's going to have made the playoffs in 13 out of 15 seasons as HC in the NHL yet people still want to bitch. He's going to get us to the playoffs and anything is possible from there

Reactions: ErnieLeafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad