Mike Babcock still one of the best to do it - The Real Boss of the Leafs

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Great coaches direct things so they take the heat when things go bad. This has been going on forever in the NHL with coaches taking the heat during the bad times. It's how they stand up and protect their team.

Think about it...we're not playing great...the young guys aren't consistent...Kadri is in a monumental slump... Reilly just thad 2 massive giveaways to help cost us points....we have multiple players slumping...etc...

...and all anyone is talking about is Babcock! Pretty sure it's all by design.

Everyday Babs is going into that room telling them they all have to play better but the good news is everyone is blaming him.

Reactions: Tak7

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Great coaches direct things so they take the heat when things go bad. This has been going on forever in the NHL with coaches taking the heat during the bad times. It's how they stand up and protect their team.

Think about it...we're not playing great...the young guys aren't consistent...Kadri is in a monumental slump... Reilly just thad 2 massive giveaways to help cost us points....we have multiple players slumping...etc...

...and all anyone is talking about is Babcock! Pretty sure it's all by design.

Everyday Babs is going into that room telling them they all have to play better but the good news is everyone is blaming him.

I partially agree with it - except, Babcock always seems to turn it back onto himself, even when things are going well, no?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
By the time I finish typing this, Babcock will have forgotten more about coaching than everyone here will ever know.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I believe Babcock's incessant line matching his hurting the Leafs... Leafs are in the offensive zone a lot less than last year. Maybe they are so concerned about getting the puck dumping it in and then racing to the bench for a change,

Reactions: dsred

member 262271

I believe Babcock's incessant line matching his hurting the Leafs... Leafs are in the offensive zone a lot less than last year. Maybe they are so concerned about getting the puck dumping it in and then racing to the bench for a change,
I wonder if the team just isn't ready for line matchups - a lot of the veterans for example, are being over used and not exactly killing it in their roles. Komarov on the PK is always as advertised, though.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I respect Babs and what he is trying to instill in this young group. Whether or not it's the best way to maximize the strengths of our roster is definitely up for debate.

I find it especially noteworthy that the top 2 teams that we're chasing in the Atlantic are employing an offensive strategy very similar to that which we abandoned earlier this season. Traditionally, that doesn't work in the playoffs, but the league is changing. Speed and skill are paramount nowadays.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
He's ruining Chris Broadhurst. He's a shell of his former self. He no longer squirts water with such vigor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad