Prospect Info: Mikael Wikstrand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
in the muclker prospect thread he was very positive. He really liked the russians it would seem.

To be honest, some of the Russian prospects we had could have probably panned out as middle or bottom six guys and botom pair D had the KHL lure not been there.

The Russian strategy was a gamble, but had the KHL not succeeded, we would have gotten a couple picks that droped solely because of their nationality. At the time, I liked the stratedgy, as we had a strong team so boom or bust was the way to draft imo. Clearly I was wrong, as the pool made trading difficult, and we couldn't re-stock the cupboards when we lost guys to the cap.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
lol, nice, but Fuhr wasn't always negitive about prospects. As I recall, he really liked Stone.

Yep. Though in hindsight, his enormous love of and predictions regarding Daugavins are hilarious. IIRC, after watching him in the OHL, he was certain Daug was destined to be a top 6 NHL forward.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
To be honest, some of the Russian prospects we had could have probably panned out as middle or bottom six guys and botom pair D had the KHL lure not been there.

The Russian strategy was a gamble, but had the KHL not succeeded, we would have gotten a couple picks that droped solely because of their nationality. At the time, I liked the stratedgy, as we had a strong team so boom or bust was the way to draft imo. Clearly I was wrong, as the pool made trading difficult, and we couldn't re-stock the cupboards when we lost guys to the cap.

My major issue with the strategy was it was clear the KHL was on the rise. Of the Russian economy had been struggling like it is now, I'd have been more for it.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Back to Wikstrand, he once again played more than anyone else on his team and got 1 assist to extend his point streak to 6 games. Frolunda won 6-1

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Not saying he is going to be a top scorer, but anyone else notice Mikael Wikstrand is scoring @ a better pace than John Klingberg at the same age in the SHL?

Wikstrand could be a 2 way guy that ends up playing with Karlsson on that 1st PP unit in a year or two.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Not saying he is going to be a top scorer, but anyone else notice Mikael Wikstrand is scoring @ a better pace than John Klingberg at the same age in the SHL?

Wikstrand could be a 2 way guy that ends up playing with Karlsson on that 1st PP unit in a year or two.

Yup, that's my expectation of him too. Don't forget he broke OEL's scoring record as 18 year old in SHL2 league. So he has offense for sure.

He plays same position as Karlsson on PP so that may complicate some things.

ffayyca

Nov 6, 2010
iirc, he was used as #1 d on WJC team in all situations. Very smart with the puck and rarely make bad decisions. Could be a top 4 in the future.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
iirc, he was used as #1 d on WJC team in all situations. Very smart with the puck and rarely make bad decisions. Could be a top 4 in the future.

He is used as a #1 D in all situations on second best team in SHL while being its youngest defenseman.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

This happened because they're top 3 defenders got injured. He still played very well regardless though.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Let's not jump to conclusions until it happens but if he goes back to Sweden it will more likely be with the blessing of management since they hold his rights. While I would prefer for him to play in Bingo & think it would be better for his development & he would be only a phone call away from being called up to Ottawa something that won't happen if he is in Sweden. Having said all that if he has his heart set in playing in Sweden for another yr why not let him, Ottawa has 8 defencemen already in Ottawa which includes Wideman & Claesson & Kostka in Bingo ready to also play in the NHL. This news is probably good news for Harpur to get more ice time in Bingo, hopefully he can make the best of this situation.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The article says that the Sens have to grant him permission to play in Sweden. If they don't, then he won't be able to play over there.

Murray will probably grant permission. Me on the other hand, i wouldn't give him permission be he just wasted everyones time and the Sens wasted a draft pick on him.

BigBush*

The article says that the Sens have to grant him permission to play in Sweden. If they don't, then he won't be able to play over there.

Murray will probably grant permission. Me on the other hand, i wouldn't give him permission be he just wasted everyones time and the Sens wasted a draft pick on him.

That would be a really dumb decision to not grant him permission. Hes still a good prospect and Ottawa has his rights, no need to completely ruin the relationship

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

That's just completely petty

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
That would be a really dumb decision to not grant him permission. Hes still a good prospect and Ottawa has his rights, no need to completely ruin the relationship

As of now, i don't think he will ever see the light of day in a Sens jersey.

With comments like if i don't make the Sens, i am going to Sweden which was made a couple of days ago and now this, i give a 0.5% of him every playing for the Sens.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
As of now, i don't think he will ever see the light of day in a Sens jersey.

With comments like if i don't make the Sens, i am going to Sweden which was made a couple of days ago and now this, i give a 0.5% of him every playing for the Sens.

I wouldn't go that low yet, but if that Swedish reporter is correct then I'm not optimistic. I assume the team will have to say something or other when he doesn't show up tomorrow, so we'll probably have a better idea in the morning.

Very disappointing.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I wouldn't go that low yet, but if that Swedish reporter is correct then I'm not optimistic. I assume the team will have to say something or other when he doesn't show up tomorrow, so we'll probably have a better idea in the morning.

Very disappointing.

Assuming what he said was true, i just really don't like that type of attitude.

It seems like the Sens and even Daniel Alfredsson himself has tried to convince him to stay to play in the ahl, but he is apparently not listening according to that article.

I know it sucks to get injured, but **** happens. Recover from it, go to the ahl, play your very best and you will most likely get a shot at playing in the big leagues.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Very disappointing.

If this is what this kid's attitude is like off the ice, I'm not to sure I'm going to like his attitude on the ice, either. He seems completely unwilling to make the sacrifices off the ice to make the NHL, it doesn't speak to having a very good work ethic.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
The kid got a small taste of the competition in the rookie tournament and then got injured not long after. Not much of a look for us to pass judgement on how close he is.

Maybe he's the type that needs a lot of friends for moral support and most if not all of his compatriots will be playing in Ottawa . One more year of growth in Sweden may not hurt him if he's emotionally or physically not ready.

I'm wondering though if somehow the Sens could lose his international rights if they burn one more year of his ELC in Sweden. Right now they control him as far as the Swedish hockey league and KHL are concerned but when does he become a RFA? If I understand correctly I think he's already burned one year and this would make 2 of his 3 year ELC so they may be ok but if it's more than that and it's his last year then I'd say no to Sweden if I was the Sens management.

Just for the record I know we have no deal with the KHL but the NHL and KHL do informally respect signed contracts.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
The kid got a small taste of the competition in the rookie tournament and then got injured not long after. Not much of a look for us to pass judgement on how close he is.

Maybe he's the type that needs a lot of friends for moral support and most if not all of his compatriots will be playing in Ottawa . One more year of growth in Sweden may not hurt him if he's emotionally or physically not ready.

I'm wondering though if somehow the Sens could lose his international rights if they burn one more year of his ELC in Sweden. Right now they control him as far as the Swedish hockey league and KHL are concerned but when does he become a RFA? If I understand correctly I think he's already burned one year and this would make 2 of his 3 year ELC so they may be ok but if it's more than that and it's his last year then I'd say no to Sweden if I was the Sens management.

Just for the record I know we have no deal with the KHL but the NHL and KHL do informally respect signed contracts.

2017-18 hes an RFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad