Value of: Mikael Granlund to EDM

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
For all the posters saying Granlund handles the puck too much to work with McDavid, my response is that Draisaitl was also said to be a pass first puck carrier before he started working with McDavid too. Now Draisaitl worked damn hard to become a shooter, but my point is passing ability and hockey smarts/vision/offensive creativity are all McDavid really needs. Plus acceptable speed I suppose. McDavid already has 29 goals too.

I'd love to get Granlund to play here with McDavid.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I know he will be expensive but what would you guys want for Arvidsson? He isn't having a good year but he is a good player. Has a good contract and he is a shooter.
Would Lavoie and 2021 first get the talk started?

Would it get the talks started? Sure. Would either of those be the best asset you're giving away, no.

I just noticed it's a '21 first too, not even this years.

If the Preds braintrust does decide that a "shakeup" trade is needed, something that jolts the players out of their complacency, then I don't see why Arvidsson couldn't be the sacrificial lamb. And a 1st and top prospect seems like a good opening bid, sure. I just don't think management is quite at that point yet. Since they do have more traditional impending-UFA trade deadline candidates on the table, I would imagine they'll just stick to the script and see how that plays out first. But who knows.

I think there are a good 4-5 players we'd want to move out before we even think about moving on from proven 30 goal scorers like Arvidsson. He's 26 and has one of the best contracts in the league.

The only way I'm moving him is if we're blowing up the entire team and we get an absolute top prospect minimum and even then, we'd be throwing away a 30 goal player in his prime in hopes that we'd eventually get another 30 goal scorer.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Would it get the talks started? Sure. Would either of those be the best asset you're giving away, no.

I think there are a good 4-5 players we'd want to move out before we even think about moving on from proven 30 goal scorers like Arvidsson. He's 26 and has one of the best contracts in the league.

The only way I'm moving him is if we're blowing up the entire team and we get an absolute top prospect minimum and even then, we'd be throwing away a 30 goal player in his prime in hopes that we'd eventually get another 30 goal scorer.

I find it hard to believe any arvidsson trade would be worth it for us as a team and I'm not sure why so many preds fans are ready to part with a guy who had 34 goals in 58 games a whole 1 season ago.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

It might also become a case where we decide that moving something from the offense to solidify the defense in a hockey trade again is more sensible for where Poile sees the team than a "Blow it up for futures" scenario. If he decides we can score enough goals without Arvidsson, but just need that stabilizing presence on D - or heck even a new Goalie if our guys can't get things back under control - then maybe that's the better way to spend a prime asset like Arvidsson. :dunno:

But again, I don't see this happening anytime soon. Poile is going to deal with the traditional deadline type trades first, then in the summer he will try whatever re-tooling he can manage with Free Agency. It's only if he strikes out miserably on that front that he might become more desperate to make another big hockey trade.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Conditional 3rd in 2021 plus Gagner for cap? Condition is that of we make it to the 2nd round in the playoffs it is a 2nd and if we win the Stanley cup and Granlund plays 50% of the games it becomes a first in 2021. You would also need to retain about 1m.

Is that far off?
Keep Gagner out of this...

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
I find it hard to believe any arvidsson trade would be worth it for us as a team and I'm not sure why so many preds fans are ready to part with a guy who had 34 goals in 58 games a whole 1 season ago.
We already need to start looking for 2 top six wingers as it is. Would hate to make it 3.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
It might also become a case where we decide that moving something from the offense to solidify the defense in a hockey trade again is more sensible for where Poile sees the team than a "Blow it up for futures" scenario. If he decides we can score enough goals without Arvidsson, but just need that stabilizing presence on D - or heck even a new Goalie if our guys can't get things back under control - then maybe that's the better way to spend a prime asset like Arvidsson. :dunno:

But again, I don't see this happening anytime soon. Poile is going to deal with the traditional deadline type trades first, then in the summer he will try whatever re-tooling he can manage with Free Agency. It's only if he strikes out miserably on that front that he might become more desperate to make another big hockey trade.

I think there are easier ways to shore up our defense and especially our goaltending than trading someone with as much value as Arvidsson.

Rinne was an 8th, Saros a 4th, we got Ingram for a 7th, we literally got a Vezina and Hart caliber goalie in Dubnyk for a grinder before throwing him away, goalies are cheap.

We have three top 50 picks without trading Granlund, Smith and Bonino. If we wanted to shore up our defense we can without moving Arvidsson.

One of Ottawa's 1sts this year is the absolute least I would move Arvidsson for, even if he's having a bad year.

Sweoilers

Jun 14, 2015
Keep Gagner out of this...
For the Edmonton to be able to trade for Granlund or anyone else we need to send cap back. Gagners contract is over after this year.

Thanks for answering my question guys about Arvidsson. I know he is liked and has a good contract.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
For the Edmonton to be able to trade for Granlund or anyone else we need to send cap back. Gagners contract is over after this year.

Thanks for answering my question guys about Arvidsson. I know he is liked and has a good contract.

ahh..I feel that. Makes sense.

I'd have to say though, with the play of Granlund, Poile is either going to up-play the s*** out of that and try to get a 1st and maybe a prospect or something orrrr he'll hang on to him and sign him to a turris-like contract and we'll be strapped.

To be fair, when we traded for Granny, I was sooooo pumped. Glad to see he's getting back on the horse but not sure he stays consistent.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wonder if there is a health situation with Granlund that no one, including Granlund, knows about? It's just so odd to see a responsible, smart, talented player like him to fall off a cliff (offensively) abruptly while still fairly young. I'm thinking of the Harding and Bickell situations. The latter, especially, caught all sorts of flak for his declining play. It was only years later that we found out why.

The only thing that has happened to him that coincides with his drop off in play is the birth of his child, but even if the kid does look the milkman, don't you get over it and get back to doing what you do best, which is play hockey?

I would otherwise say that Granlund is the best buy low candidate out there.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I don't think he'd fit in our top 6, not because he's not good enough but just stylistically. Would much rather have a guy like Kreider/Tatar even if we have to give up more.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
I liked the other thread that was Puljujarvi+Gagner+3rd that became a 2nd if he resigned in EDM

Reactions: NNCbama

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think he'd fit in our top 6, not because he's not good enough but just stylistically. Would much rather have a guy like Kreider/Tatar even if we have to give up more.
If the price is a second for Grandlund then that is a decent price. He is also someone who we might be able sign affordably. He is a top 6 forward who would bring some talent that is missing to the Mcdavid line. It’s a one man show right now and it’s obvious he needs another player to work plays with.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Unless Pulju has told EDM that he is willing to come back, work hard, and is blowing the doors off in Finland , then WTH would you not move him for a proven NHL player ? Time to move on. He has, as has the league.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Unless Pulju has told EDM that he is willing to come back, work hard, and is blowing the doors off in Finland , then WTH would you not move him for a proven NHL player ? Time to move on. He has, as has the league.
Because if you're talking about a UFA, the very real possibility is there that Puljujarvi could go on to have a long career with a new team, and to Holland, that might not be worth renting a player for.

Reactions: belair

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Some team in Finland, maybe.

Granlund gives you guys a shot at making, and going far in the playoffs in the very beatable West. Do ing that would do wonders for the team, the city, and keeping your stars engaged till they build up their prospects and get rid of some bad contracts.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Some team in Finland, maybe.

Granlund gives you guys a shot at making, and going far in the playoffs in the very beatable West. Do ing that would do wonders for the team, the city, and keeping your stars engaged till they build up their prospects and get rid of some bad contracts.
He does. Odds are that Puljujarvi brings about as much value to the table as a second round pick would though. We'd prefer to move the pick at this point. Puljujarvi can be parlayed into an asset with a much later expiration date.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The main thing(s) about Granlund is that he is smart, and that he needs to handle the puck. I’m not sure that EDM needs that sort of player as much as they want a shooter, and preferably one with speed.
His best producing years he was playing rw, though he is also good at lw.
Just a 2nd seems a tad light for him, especially if he is starting to show signs of life

McDavid usually works best with guys who can get the puck/take a pass, hold onto the puck for a couple seconds and get it back to him. He doesn't really need true snipers with him because most goals end up being tap-ins.

Stylistically, I think Granlund would actually be a good fit.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I wonder if there is a health situation with Granlund that no one, including Granlund, knows about? It's just so odd to see a responsible, smart, talented player like him to fall off a cliff (offensively) abruptly while still fairly young. I'm thinking of the Harding and Bickell situations. The latter, especially, caught all sorts of flak for his declining play. It was only years later that we found out why.

The only thing that has happened to him that coincides with his drop off in play is the birth of his child, but even if the kid does look the milkman, don't you get over it and get back to doing what you do best, which is play hockey?

I would otherwise say that Granlund is the best buy low candidate out there.
Not that we saw a lot of Granlund beforehand to compare with, but it doesn't seem like there has been anything that stands out physically wrong with him. Preds are definitely very very tight with that kind of info though.

Yet, if we think back to Turris last year when he was playing like crap and we never knew why, we could still see there was clearly something wrong with him. And later we find out he had his foot broken twice and a broken rib. Or Subban played like crap last year and we could literally see him skating in mud. They never did say what was wrong with Subban, but even up to this day it's pretty obvious he did something like mess up his back. Or Avridsson now. There's definitely something wrong with him. I just never got a sense that was the case with Granlund... he played alright, looked ok, just never got the points. Now he's playing a little more, but doesn't look really different... except now the points are coming.

For whatever it's worth. :dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think it's going to be very tough for Poile to commit to trading Granlund at the deadline, though. I imagine he's going to hold onto hope this year until the bitter end, and instead will lose Granlund for nothing as a UFA in the summer.

I don't exactly blame him... he really WANTS his team to win, and he doesn't want to admit defeat, and by so doing perhaps give a bad sign to the players.

I'd trade Granlund nonetheless. But I really don't think Poile will now. There's only 7 games left to the trade deadline, and the Preds probably won't go 0-7 or 1-6 or whatever it would take to be truly conclusively eliminated in Poile's mind. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad