Value of: Mikael Granlund to EDM

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
What would it take to get him on the Oilers? He would probably have a spot beside McDavid on the first line. Would a 2nd + a little cap get it done, or would we have to add Puljujarvi as well?

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
What would it take to get him on the Oilers? He would probably have a spot beside McDavid on the first line. Would a 2nd + a little cap get it done, or would we have to add Puljujarvi as well?

Oilers may need wingers but they're not that shallow.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Idk if he'd work with Mcdavid. A soft player that doesn't shoot the puck probably wouldn't mesh too well.

But if it is was cheap, like say 2nd + Gagner, then I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Oilers may need wingers but they're not that shallow.

I think he would do well there as a high-IQ player. Plus, their 2nd line is already full:

Granlund - McDavid - Kassian
Nuge - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Benson - Haas - Neal
Nygard - Sheahan - Archibald

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He would be a good rental. Still not convinced preds are for sure sellers though. Be interesting to watch.

Sweoilers

Jun 14, 2015
Conditional 3rd in 2021 plus Gagner for cap? Condition is that of we make it to the 2nd round in the playoffs it is a 2nd and if we win the Stanley cup and Granlund plays 50% of the games it becomes a first in 2021. You would also need to retain about 1m.

Is that far off?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Conditional 3rd in 2021 plus Gagner for cap? Condition is that of we make it to the 2nd round in the playoffs it is a 2nd and if we win the Stanley cup and Granlund plays 50% of the games it becomes a first in 2021. You would also need to retain about 1m.

Is that far off?

that sounds pretty terrible imho. surely the preds could do better than 3rd + cap dump for a retained granlund. hasnt fit with nashville but averaged 63pts/yr the 3 seasons prior to this and would rake with McD

Puljujarvi would probably interest the preds

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Yeah....i'm guessing none of the posters actually seen Granlund play much?.

He is having a bad season yes, he still holds lots of value thou. Fans are forgetting that, last season he was on his best season of his career
before he was traded to the Preds. He would of had 3 x about 70 point (20+ goal) seasons in a row.

In 522 games in his career he is about 0.70 ppg, was way higher obviously before was traded to the Preds
67 games for Preds: 12 goals, 12 assists, 24 points (0.35 ppg).

Preds system, how they are utilizing him, is hurting his game, Mikael Granlund is still one hell of a 1st line player, if properly utilized.
BTW. hey Nashville, he is not a RW, stop using him as such.

Reactions: Aerrol

Sweoilers

Jun 14, 2015
that sounds pretty terrible imho. surely the preds could do better than 3rd + cap dump for a retained granlund. hasnt fit with nashville but averaged 63pts/yr the 3 seasons prior to this and would rake with McD

Puljujarvi would probably interest the preds
And there it came. The traditional he would kill it with McDavid. That doesn't make his value increase.

However I understand that the value might be low but that was a response to a previous post that 3rd or higher would do it.
Would 2021 2nd+3rd+Puljujärvi+Gagner for Granlund+Tolvanen work either directly or as a base? Conditional 2nd becomes 1st if Granlund resigns

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Granlund isn't soft. He is not physical, but courageous. Will block shots, and is VG at winning puck battles. He is the biggest wild card at this TDL. If he finds his game, he can really heLP a team, for a light price. I would think that a 2nd + Pulju would be an overpayment, unless NSH is expected to eat a lot of cap.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Granlund to the Oilers makes sense. We're definitely not going to build the deal up in a way that sees us giving you back any futures, though, especially not Tolvanen. I would say the main return should be either a 2nd round pick or Puljujarvi (if the Preds scouting staff thinks he is recoverable).

Then if you have any cap issues fitting Granlund, the Preds should be willing to take some expiring cap back for a little bit extra - I say "should", because we certainly would have space to, but I'm not sure Poile will want to and the $$$ might be more important to the team than another draft pick. Hard to say.

So:
Granlund for
Puljujarvi/2nd '20
or
Granlund for
Puljujarvi/2nd '20 + Gagner + 3rd '21

Those would work for me. I guess I could also see Poile fretting about bolstering the lineup of a team that he thinks the Preds might be competing with for a Wildcard spot in the West playoff race, though. So if Boston, Pittsburgh etc - Eastern teams thought to be seeking a top-6 winger were also bidding a 2nd, I bet Poile would rather make a deal with them than with the Oilers.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah....i'm guessing none of the posters actually seen Granlund play much?.

He is having a bad season yes, he still holds lots of value thou. Fans are forgetting that, last season he was on his best season of his career
before he was traded to the Preds. He would of had 3 x about 70 point (20+ goal) seasons in a row.

In 522 games in his career he is about 0.70 ppg, was way higher obviously before was traded to the Preds
67 games for Preds: 12 goals, 12 assists, 24 points (0.35 ppg).

Preds system, how they are utilizing him, is hurting his game, Mikael Granlund is still one hell of a 1st line player, if properly utilized.
BTW. hey Nashville, he is not a RW, stop using him as such.
He has been spoon-fed top-6 minutes with all of our best offensive players all season. He has had no lack of opportunity. And Minnesota fans have told us his best years with them were at RW also.

I think it is more a lack of chemistry and overall team system that is hampering his production. On the Preds there are basically 2 guys who they want to have the puck all the time - Josi and Duchene. I think Granlund might be more used to playing as the zone-entry player on his line, and instead he has spent most of the season with Duchene, and if Duchene doesn't have the puck, usuallly Josi does. This means Granlund doesn't play his traditional role as the prime offensive generator on his line. They've used him more as a follower on the rush than a leader. Lately though they've switched him to playing with Johansen at center, who is more of the physical/cycling/playmaking type of center that perhaps works best for Granlund, a la Koivu on the Wild, with Duchene moved to the other wing. They may also be scaling back the degree to which the defense carry the puck - although it's hard to tell if that's by design or just because Ellis has been out for a while. At any rate, Granlund has certainly looked better recently since some of these changes have come into place.

I don't think he's soft... he's a little bit undersized, but seems to battle about as hard as anybody out there, and doesn't seem to shy away from anything. He's not physically aggressive, which stands to reason since he's a smaller skill player, but he's not really soft either.

I'm not sure if he'd fit well with McDavid, maybe the Oilers would benefit from having him catalyze a second scoring line more? I think he's definitely worth some team taking a gamble on at the deadline. He has the skill and track record as a top line scoring player. And might come at a bit of a bargain price thanks to his low numbers with the Preds. But teams should also have a definite plan for how they think he'll fit in their lineup and who might be the best players for him to play with, as we've seen that chemistry does seem to play a big role in his productivity.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I honestly think you're resources are better set going after someone like Bonino to make your bottom 6 workable. Your top 2 lines aren't bad even if it contains Neal and Kassian.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The main thing(s) about Granlund is that he is smart, and that he needs to handle the puck. I’m not sure that EDM needs that sort of player as much as they want a shooter, and preferably one with speed.
His best producing years he was playing rw, though he is also good at lw.
Just a 2nd seems a tad light for him, especially if he is starting to show signs of life

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
The main thing(s) about Granlund is that he is smart, and that he needs to handle the puck. I’m not sure that EDM needs that sort of player as much as they want a shooter, and preferably one with speed.
His best producing years he was playing rw, though he is also good at lw.
Just a 2nd seems a tad light for him, especially if he is starting to show signs of life

I kind of thought Craig Smith was the perfect option for Edmonton. He WILL get in scoring position and has a good shot.

Reactions: NNCbama

Sweoilers

Jun 14, 2015
I know he will be expensive but what would you guys want for Arvidsson? He isn't having a good year but he is a good player. Has a good contract and he is a shooter.
Would Lavoie and 2021 first get the talk started?

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
I know he will be expensive but what would you guys want for Arvidsson? He isn't having a good year but he is a good player. Has a good contract and he is a shooter.
No.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Granlund might be a good option for Edmonton, although I don’t think Holland would be willing to give up Puljujarvi to get him as is.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If the Preds braintrust does decide that a "shakeup" trade is needed, something that jolts the players out of their complacency, then I don't see why Arvidsson couldn't be the sacrificial lamb. And a 1st and top prospect seems like a good opening bid, sure. I just don't think management is quite at that point yet. Since they do have more traditional impending-UFA trade deadline candidates on the table, I would imagine they'll just stick to the script and see how that plays out first. But who knows.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
If the Preds braintrust does decide that a "shakeup" trade is needed, something that jolts the players out of their complacency, then I don't see why Arvidsson couldn't be the sacrificial lamb. And a 1st and top prospect seems like a good opening bid, sure. I just don't think management is quite at that point yet. Since they do have more traditional impending-UFA trade deadline candidates on the table, I would imagine they'll just stick to the script and see how that plays out first. But who knows.

I agree. Arvy has been non existent this year. He is on a great deal so he should be very desirable to anyone else. I don't really see many 'hands off' players on the Preds from my seat in the stands. I'm not giving him away, but a fair deal is certainly in the realm of reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad