Player Discussion Mikael Granlund IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Haula would have to be the C. I say keep Poms on his line. He has gone from a waste of space to being a decent player again when playing with Haula.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
In the latest Russo-Souhan Show Russo has an interesting tidbit about Granlund. To paraphrase, he says he knows many people hate Granlund right now, but Torchetti went on and on about him on some pre-taping for KFAN show, how he is a great player, hockey sense wise, work ethic, he loves him. So if they move him this summer (assuming Torch would still be the coach), it would be pretty much "over my dead body" type of thing. :laugh:

I think Yeo also liked him a lot, so he's obviously the kind of player coaches have a lot of trust for.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
I can see why coaches love him. He seems like a great kid who always works his butt off, and earns respect from the team. I think the reason so many people are ready to move on is because of the expectations we all had for him. If he's not picked so high I think we would all be pretty satisfied with him. Time will tell, but I think he could settle into a solid #2C.

aahola

Mar 26, 2014
Finland
I can see why coaches love him. He seems like a great kid who always works his butt off, and earns respect from the team. I think the reason so many people are ready to move on is because of the expectations we all had for him. If he's not picked so high I think we would all be pretty satisfied with him. Time will tell, but I think he could settle into a solid #2C.

This might be the most accurate post ever in a Granlund thread.

I think he's already very close to being a solid #2C, although not in top contender team.

WagonFan

Dec 15, 2012
I saw this at the nhl.com

projected lineups:

WILD

Zach Parise - Mikko Koivu - Mikael Granlund

So is Granlund playing at the wing now and how is that working?

Sorry I haven't been able to watch games lately due to ****load of work.. :/

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
I saw this at the nhl.com

projected lineups:

WILD

Zach Parise - Mikko Koivu - Mikael Granlund

So is Granlund playing at the wing now and how is that working?

Sorry I haven't been able to watch games lately due to ****load of work.. :/

Ok I guess, but he's too weak on his skates for him to really be effective at wing in the NHL. Plus it's pretty obvious the Wild can't afford to not have him playing C.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Ok I guess, but he's too weak on his skates for him to really be effective at wing in the NHL. Plus it's pretty obvious the Wild can't afford to not have him playing C.

He was doing so well with skating late last season! Has he gone back down in ability?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
In another now closed thread it was pointed out that Granlund has almost as many shots as Nino and Zucker. True ,but what once you take into account his SIGNIFICANTLY larger amount of TOI you end up with;

Granlund- 1 shot/ 9.4 min.

Nino. - 1 shot/ 8 min

Zucker- 1 shot/6.8 min.

Then, you have to throw in the FACT that Granlund has gotten FAR more PP time than the others, where you can reasonably expect a player to have more opportunity to shoot than at other times, and you end up with a reluctant shooter.

I don't have the time to figure out where Granlund rates in terms of other top 6( or even top 9) Players in terms of shooting frequency in ES situations, but I bet he ranks near the bottom.

Last year, the differences were even more pronounced;

Granlund- 1 shot/12 min.

Nino - 1 shot/ 7.7 min

Zucker- 1 shot/ 6.2 min

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
1 shot per 1.5 min difference isn't bad when you consider he's a playmaker first style player, where the other two are considered to be snipers first. Last year was a problem, this year isn't. He's shooting significantly more than Koivu who has even more icetime and pp time.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
I don't know if you want to read this but to exercise my English I'll translate a story from Finnish media about Granlund.

Find the YLE story here.

Lets start with the cold hard facts. Granlund, 24, was supposed to grow into the #1C role for the Wild. Finn played with Parise on the 1st line, but it never fully worked well.
Middle of winter, Granlunds role was diminished and the finn was moved to lower lines and Koivu, who is having an excellent season, started centering Parise.

At the start of the season, Granlunds two-way game wasn't enough. Especially the offense wasn't there. The man from Oulu took care of his defensive responsibilities with great care, but expended his arsenal there and didn't have enough left for the offensive side of things. Centers 44 points (13+31) in 80 games is surely less than many, including the player himself, expected. Granlund admitted monday in the interview with Yle that the season has been tough.

- Yeah, there has been tough times on every season. Sometimes things go better, sometimes worse, that's hockey. It's not walking on the heavens all the time (note: I suck at expressions -Sharppi). You still have to be ready for the next game and stay positive, "Mikke" said.

Season is still underway and the most important games are yet to be played. After the tough start of the season, Granlund has started to wake up and has shown better play in the latest games. Especially for Granlund, the new coaching changes and the changes to the play with puck is a great fit. Wild still plays tight system, but on the offensive side of the puck players have more freedom than before. Granlund has 10 points (5+5) in the last 12 games. Especially the amount of goals is great progress for the Finn who scored 8 goals last season. Moving Granlund to wing has been a good move from the coaching staff - although familiar one for finns from the national team and from HIFK. Playing on the wing lets Granlund play with his own strengths.

- Defensive game is the biggest difference when playing on the wing. Also mentally. On the wing you dare to create more offense and there's no pressure to be the first guy back on the defensive end. You dare to do more things on the offence. I enjoy playing as a winger, Granlund said after playing couple of games as a winger with Parise and Koivu.

Regardless of not reaching expectations in the regular season, Granlund has broken his previous goal and point records. Lifting the goal totals to double digits has been a good achievement for Granlund, who has shot the puck more this season.

To a pass first -player, changing the thought process to be more shoot first -type isn't always easy

- It was challeging at first to learn a new way to think. I have always in a way looked for the pass. Here I have learned that when you get guys and puck to the crease, things start to happen. You get rebounds and things. I have tried to shoot more this season, but the type of the game also has impact. In some games, you can't shoot the puck, even if you want to. You just can't reach a shooting position. But I have gone forward on that mindset and I'll try to uphold it in the futue, said Granlund.

Granlund is known as a player, who plays his best games, when the stakes are high. There is a promise of that in the air already, based on the latest games he has played. Normally calm Granlund has received some intensity and emotion to his game. Mikke has even started to celebrate his goals.

- I haven't even though about it, but I guess it happens, when the stakes are high and you need to win games. From there, you get more emotion to the game.

In the two latest playoffs, Granlund has been good and knows his own ability to play well when the playoffs start. This is the mindset he should have all-season in the future.

- Yeah, it's been like that in the past that playoffs have been better than the regular season. I have no clue why that is though, Granlund said.

Even though the start of the season was hard for one of the greatest Finnish hockey prospects, we have to remember that the last chapter hasn't been written yet, even on this season. Mikael Granlund is a part of the new generation of young Finnish players, who don't fear or feel pressure when facing pressure and tough games. Spring will show, what kind of a season Granlund will ultimately have.

Story by Tommi Seppälä
YLE

Flowergirl

Mar 14, 2014
Thanks a lot, Sharppi! Future translations (especially interviews) would also be much appreciated. ;)

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Seems to have gotten better at protecting himself...not so much of a victim out there now as he has learned tHe league and how to survive in it. Spurgeon and Brodin have gone through similar learning curves.

His point totals are highest ever this year( 44, 39, 41), but his PPG has gone down(.54, .57, .65).

If you compare him to other #9 picks over the past 20 years, he's a better than average pick. It's surprising how few #9's turn out to be star players.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
He gets into trouble when he stops moving his feet. It's the main thing holding him back from getting to the next offensive level.

As much as I want Granlund to be a center and Coyle to be a RW, lately I have been thinking maybe they should switch. Coyle is just so much more assertive on the center (strangely), and Granlund tries to make something happen offensively ever shift when he is on the wing.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Coyle uses can use his speed more at C. Once he gets that big body moving at full speed, he is a force out there.

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
Coyle uses can use his speed more at C. Once he gets that big body moving at full speed, he is a force out there.

I've thought Granlund's skating and speed has been really good this season. I believe if he would've shot the puck like he has been since acquiring Torch, and if Pommer wouldn't have been so terribly snake bitten, he would've gotten close to 60 points this season.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I've thought Granlund's skating and speed has been really good this season. I believe if he would've shot the puck like he has been since acquiring Torch, and if Pommer wouldn't have been so terribly snake bitten, he would've gotten close to 60 points this season.

It's always some excuse. The stats are pretty clear on Granlund. He's had a lot of opportunity with top 6 AND PP TOI.

Look at Haula. The guy was stuck on the fourth line/ doghouse, with crap to play with, and no PP TOI at all. When he did finally get chance, he was thrilled to be on a line with Pominville, and got him going.

TJL48

Nov 30, 2011
St. Paul
Haula ended up in the doghouse for a reason. He played bad under Yeo and came into the season last year out of shape. He could just as easily do it again.

And maybe Torch got Pominville going and not Haula. Seems likely. Granlund set him up plenty and he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. How is that on Granlund?

I am not hating on Haula and am not in love with Granlund. It is just so annoying that when Granlund goes on a hot streak there is nothing. No praise and barely any comment. Haula goes on his second hot streak in 2 years and all of a sudden he is better than Granlund.

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
It's always some excuse. The stats are pretty clear on Granlund. He's had a lot of opportunity with top 6 AND PP TOI.

Look at Haula. The guy was stuck on the fourth line/ doghouse, with crap to play with, and no PP TOI at all. When he did finally get chance, he was thrilled to be on a line with Pominville, and got him going.

How is Granlund supposed to put up the numbers people are expecting when our leading goal scorer has 25 freaking goals?! Parise and Pominville combined have 15 less goals this year compared to last year, and I don't believe Granlund is responsible for that. There were countless times when Granlund would set those two up and they just weren't able to finish.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
How is Granlund supposed to put up the numbers people are expecting when our leading goal scorer has 25 freaking goals?! Parise and Pominville combined have 15 less goals this year compared to last year, and I don't believe Granlund is responsible for that. There were countless times when Granlund would set those two up and they just weren't able to finish.

It's a good point. A playmaker with no finishers is not a good mix.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

Like I said, countless excuses. Granljnd has gotten to play with every one of our top forwards, and had lots of PP time over the past three years. And it's always THEIR fault that he doesn't have better point totals. :shakehead

TJL48

Nov 30, 2011
St. Paul
Why do we need excuses for him? He is consistently our second best C. He is who he is at this point. A 40-50 point second line center. Competes hard and gives it his all. It's the best we have. It not like he is a proven 80 point player that is under performing. He doesn't need excuses.

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
Like I said, countless excuses. Granljnd has gotten to play with every one of our top forwards, and had lots of PP time over the past three years. And it's always THEIR fault that he doesn't have better point totals. :shakehead

I didn't realize Granlund can score goals for his linemates... Someone needs to score for him to get assists buddy. Granlund's point production drop is for sure correlated with Parise's and Pominville's inability to score this year, and thinking otherwise is asinine.

I would still like to see him scoring more, but Granlund's job is creating plays, which if you actually watched games this year, you would know he did a great job of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad