Player Discussion Mikael Granlund IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
I'm fine with moving Granlund after this season. I was a big fan of his but he's just not improving. He's too hesitant to shoot and too small. He also loses a lot of puck battles and is missing the killer instinct. I think we should find someone better.

has been in a slump like 3 years, would you give up and see him shape up in another team?

still recovering from yeo ****

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
has been in a slump like 3 years, would you give up and see him shape up in another team?

still recovering from yeo ****

I can't tell if you're serious. A 3 year slump isn't a slump. It's the type of player he is.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Follows his countryman Koivu pretty well; highly inconsistent, good defense, can't score worth a damn.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Follows his countryman Koivu pretty well; highly inconsistent, good defense, can't score worth a damn.

Koivu has the excuse of playing the 3rd D. Can't be criticized in the offensive zone if you're not there. Granlund's excuses are **** PP time, horrible teammates, and having turned from a dynamic talent into a defensive player. 4th line minor league grinder strikes again.

These coaches need to get their heads out of their *****. Still putting the old ****s on the PP for incredulous amounts of times and then putting Suter AND Koivu together on the ice in OT.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Granlund has never shown that he is dynamic talent at the NHL level. Not being able to shoot at a NHL level is just one of the many things that prevent him from being one.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Granlund has never shown that he is dynamic talent at the NHL level. Not being able to shoot at a NHL level is just one of the many things that prevent him from being one.

"But that's only one example :cry: "

I don't care. Don't say never if there is an example from NHL level - and playoffs, to boot.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
I'd show you Koivu's highlights from the playoffs, but he hasn't had any.

giphy.gif

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I'd show you Koivu's highlights from the playoffs, but he hasn't had any. At least Granlund elevates in the playoffs.
Think this has been mostly forgotten here.

Granlund has one of the Wild's best players the last 2 playoffs. A lot has to do with a lot of other players being absent, but Granlund at least brought his game to a higher level.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I agree with a lot said here about MIG64, especially his playoff game. I just wanted to add my $.02 that, lately, I've liked his play more and more. Not sure what, if anything, the absence of Yeo or addition of Torch . . . but I think Granny's been strong as of late.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Quick breakdown of Granlund's stats this year before/after coaching change:

5v5 G60
Before: 0.2
After: 0.8

5v5 P60
Before: 1.2
After: 1.8

5v5 S60
Before: 5.1
After: 6.2

5v5 Sh%
Before: 3.9%
After: 13.0%

5v5 ZSO% Rel
Before: 12.4
After: 13.0

5v5 TOI/G
Before: 14.6
After: 12.6

PP TOI/G
Before: 2.6
After: 2.4

PP P60
Before: 3.1
After: 5.5

Interesting breakdown for Granlund. His ice time has actually gone down under Torch but his productivity has gone up. Increased goal scoring is mostly due to luck, but he is shooting a bit more. Not a major swing in terms of possession stats or zone starts. On the PP, he's getting about the same time but much more productive. I'm guessing that is a combination of team luck and an improved scheme under Torch.

His total year scoring isn't that great. 5v5 P60 ranks 101st among NHL centers with 500+ minutes, which is below average for a second line center. If he were to keep up his current scoring pace, he'd jump up to 48th, ironically tied with Ryan Johansen. PP P60 is 68th among NHL centers with 100+ minutes, which would maybe be average for a second unit center, although his pace under Torch would bump him all the way up to 16th and tied with Tyler Seguin.

Based off the eye test, Granlund seems to give a consistent effort and doesn't shy away from physical play at all. His speed was a concern in the past and I'd say he's at least average if not slightly faster. He seems to keep his feet moving rather than stopping and starting and that allows him to push the pace of play. Size and reach is still a concern and I don't think we've ever seen him get a breakaway. He does tend to get too cute when playing with Vanek, but his play with more N/S players seems more aggressive.

I don't think we've seen enough from him to offer a long term contract and I think he could very well be trade bait this summer. He's definitely not the top line center the Wild wanted and needed, although with Koivu's decline they definitely can't afford to move Granlund without a better option. He's a decent second line option but with Koivu as a well below average top line center you have to upgrade at least one if you want to win in the playoffs.

jackouu

Nov 25, 2015
Helsinki
Yeah thanks for the very detailed breakdown! Let's hope Granny keeps up his mojo going and we make the playoffs.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Great post Jarick!

Part of me thinks Torch told Granlund that if he gets less than 3 SOG per game then he's bumping him down a line in the next game. And if he completes the objective then he'll get more prime PP time. Not really.. But something is different for sure.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Michael Russo said:
His first of two goals against Colorado came after he stole Mikkel Boedker's pass and buried a Mikael Granlund pass after Granlund faked a shot.

"I've gotten a few of those freebies from him and I’m always very appreciative of those," Parise said. "I owe Granny a lot, I really do. He’s set me up for a lot of good chances. When I play with him, I feel once or twice a game he’s giving me a really good opportunity and as a winger, you enjoy playing with centermen like that."

Aww, Parise & Granny love affair still going strong :heart:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I honestly think so many players lost all confidence early in the season and they all respond to different things that it was so hard to get them all moving in the right direction at the same time without a major external change (like a big trade or coaching change).

Anything

Sep 22, 2013
Oulu, Finland
Surpassed his previous regular season high in points with the assist last night. He has also broken his season high in goals. Go for 15+35(++) next season or is this what the Wild essentially have?

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Whoever the coach will be I expect the Wild to be scoring more than under Yeo. 60 pts for Granlund in a healthy season.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Surpassed his previous regular season high in points with the assist last night. He has also broken his season high in goals. Go for 15+35(++) next season or is this what the Wild essentially have?

I think we'd have to be happy with 50 pts. A middle of the pack 2C. Decent D, very good puck handler, good in that role on the PP. HE'lll never play big, but he's looking a bit more capable of taking care of himself out there.

If. He works on his shot and FO's he'll become even more useful.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I'm just happy that he has been healthy this season. Remember how worried some of us were because of his injuries?

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
You know what I'd love to see?

With Granlund's offense success at wing in international play, what about a Nino-Haula-Granlund line...I think they could be a dynamite 2nd line and I think Granlund's game pairs well with Haula's speed and Nino's size.

But obviously not a realistic scenario for right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad