Mikael "Bruce" Granlund VII‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Oh dear. Well, good to see them giving the kids an opportunity to succeed.

I wanted to see Granlund - Immonen - Ruutu though. Or Komarov - Granlund - Salminen. Yeah, I really think that could've worked.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I love the idea of Granny-Barkov-Selänne. The thought of Selänne enjoing Granlund's sweet passes makes me drool.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
I thought he was going to end up at center with Fillpula and Koivu out..guessing there are some KHL guys I don't know about that will shoulder big responsibility offensively at center?? Lehtera or Kontiola perhaps? Any Finns have insight on those two?

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
I thought he was going to end up at center with Fillpula and Koivu out..guessing there are some KHL guys I don't know about that will shoulder big responsibility offensively at center?? Lehtera or Kontiola perhaps? Any Finns have insight on those two?

Both can be world-class players but their problem is incosistensy. Kontiola has been the better player when playing international games but Lehterä gathers more points in the KHL. I really like Lehterä's game and I wish he'd show he can do well in these games. He's a really fun player to watch.

eme

Oct 22, 2006
Helsinki

Immonen along with the guys you mentioned will start as the 4th line center. The thing is, we're really thin on the wing, and Granny can play well both roles, while the rest of the centers can't, or not that well atleast.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
..aaand from this week to next decade or so, it's going to be remembered: Finnish team with Granlunds.

in case you haven't noticed http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay...ament_id=0&leagueId=4&division_id=-1&confId=0 younger one is exceeding his brother AHL-season by a far margin.

He had the luxury of learning from Mikael's mistakes. He trained with him in the summer, both working on improving what is needed for success in the nhl.

As for Finland's lineup... Not saying the Finnish posters here are wrong, just wondering where the info on Granlund playing wing is coming from.

This blog quotes the Finland coaching staff saying Barkov is moving to Granlund's wing.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=26074

Last edited:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
..aaand from this week to next decade or so, it's going to be remembered: Finnish team with Granlunds.

in case you haven't noticed http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay...ament_id=0&leagueId=4&division_id=-1&confId=0 younger one is exceeding his brother AHL-season by a far margin.

Exceeding is a bit much. Mikeal was PPG in limited action due to being in the NHL. He is having a damn fine season though. Certainly exceeded my expectations of him. Be interesting to see if they give some of those young guys a chance in the NHL to get their feet wet, or let them continue on a calder cup run and complete the tank.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
As for Finland's lineup... Not saying the Finnish posters here are wrong, just wondering where the info on Granlund playing wing is coming from.

This blog quotes the Finland coaching staff saying Barkov is moving to Granlund's wing.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=26074
That has to be a mistake. I think the original source was (unless assistant coach was talking to a bunch of journos at the same time) Finland's CBC here and here. It actually does not specify which one plays C but I think it is so self-evident that it doesn't even have to be specified.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
I think there's a big chance of rejuvenated Selanne. Granlund playing wing is kind of Kariya at his peak and Barkov at center is the third defenseman Selanne and Kariya needed but never got.

Granlund and Selanne will lead the tournament scoring and Barkov makes sure there's no goals against and leads the tournament in assists.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
I think there's a big chance of rejuvenated Selanne. Granlund playing wing is kind of Kariya at his peak and Barkov at center is the third defenseman Selanne and Kariya needed but never got.

Granlund and Selanne will lead the tournament scoring and Barkov makes sure there's no goals against and leads the tournament in assists.

One too many beers sir.

Finland isn't going to score. Period. The team will be hard pressed to have anyone in the top 10 for scoring let alone have someone lead the tournament.

P10p

May 15, 2012
How is Ma performing better than Mi Granlund. Mikke was ppg in his limited time in the AHL.

toewsintangibles

Leadership analyst
Dec 23, 2012
One too many beers sir.

Finland isn't going to score. Period. The team will be hard pressed to have anyone in the top 10 for scoring let alone have someone lead the tournament.

Finland has the top scorer of the last 2 Olympics combined, Olli Jokinen at 9 goals. They gonna dominate.

Seriously, though, they will score quite a bit of goals against weaker opposition at the least..

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
How is Ma performing better than Mi Granlund. Mikke was ppg in his limited time in the AHL.

Better ESP/TOI. Also the goal scoring rate is almost double that of Mikael. Markus is also very good on PK, though Mikael could have been just as good if he got a chance.

Markus is also a couple of months younger than Mikael in his rookie season.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
One too many beers sir.

That has been said of Team Finland every time Olympics have been held. Yet Selanne alone has led the tournament scoring two times, been top ten in scoring three times and has 20 goals 17 assists in 31 games making him the top scorer all time in Olympic hockey. Both Granlund and Barkov are among the best big ice players in the world, and both are capable of world class playmaking. Selanne just has to find his way to the offensive zone and Granlund and Barkov will bank the pucks in off of Selanne's stick. All three of them will be top 10 in scoring on top of Barkov being the best two-way center of the tournament, mark my words.

With that goaltending, Finland will have an easy ride to the medals. Whether it will be a gold medal remains to be seen.

In toewsintangibles' words "they gonna dominate"

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Really looking forward seeing that Granlund - Barkov - Selanne line..

On the sidenote.. Why didnt we draft Markus.. ? Makes no sense

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Really looking forward seeing that Granlund - Barkov - Selanne line..

On the sidenote.. Why didnt we draft Markus.. ? Makes no sense

He is a talented player but I don't think many expected him to go in the 2nd round, and to be honest, back then he wasn't a 2nd round talent. I would've gladly taken him in 3rd or 4th. Of course, hindsight is 20/20 and Makke's development has been good in NA. Still, I don't think it was the wrong choice. Our cupboards are stocked on the wing, with Parise and Pominville occupying two of the four spots in top six. Nino and Zucker are strong contenders for the two remaining slots. In addition, we also have Fontaine who has surprised almost everybody this season and will be a solid middle sixer for the foreseeable future. Then we have the AHL kids, such as Bulmer and Bussieres, who are coming along nicely.

Of course, we can still acquire him via trade, but where would you put him?

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
That has been said of Team Finland every time Olympics have been held. Yet Selanne alone has led the tournament scoring two times, been top ten in scoring three times and has 20 goals 17 assists in 31 games making him the top scorer all time in Olympic hockey. Both Granlund and Barkov are among the best big ice players in the world, and both are capable of world class playmaking. Selanne just has to find his way to the offensive zone and Granlund and Barkov will bank the pucks in off of Selanne's stick. All three of them will be top 10 in scoring on top of Barkov being the best two-way center of the tournament, mark my words.

With that goaltending, Finland will have an easy ride to the medals. Whether it will be a gold medal remains to be seen.

In toewsintangibles' words "they gonna dominate"

Selanne isn't 1/10th of the player he was..even from 2010. His age has finally caught up to him. in 2010-2011 he was an 80 point player in the NHL still playing every game top minutes and PP. Now he is an aging superstar that can no longer skate like he used to, can't play every game because of fatigue and is no longer a top line player. He gets his points on the PP on the best team in the NHL and still only has 20 points in 47 games. Below .5 a game on the best team in the NHL.

I love the Finnish Flash, one of my favorites of all time but he isn't the player he was. If he is on your first line at 43 years old Team Finland is in serious trouble. Sorry. Granlund-Barkov-Selanne would hardly be a good 2nd line in the NHL.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Better ESP/TOI. Also the goal scoring rate is almost double that of Mikael. Markus is also very good on PK, though Mikael could have been just as good if he got a chance.

Markus is also a couple of months younger than Mikael in his rookie season.

Mikael was playing injured for much of his time in the AHL now that he is back to his normal self NA fans are seeing what kind of player he really is. Mikael put up ppg in his rookie season playing injured for much of the time without the benefit of having his older brother tutor him in the offseason.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Selanne isn't 1/10th of the player he was..even from 2010. His age has finally caught up to him. in 2010-2011 he was an 80 point player in the NHL still playing every game top minutes and PP. Now he is an aging superstar that can no longer skate like he used to, can't play every game because of fatigue and is no longer a top line player. He gets his points on the PP on the best team in the NHL and still only has 20 points in 47 games. Below .5 a game on the best team in the NHL.

I love the Finnish Flash, one of my favorites of all time but he isn't the player he was. If he is on your first line at 43 years old Team Finland is in serious trouble. Sorry. Granlund-Barkov-Selanne would hardly be a good 2nd line in the NHL.

You're probably very right with that. But be prepared to be proven wrong also. He's still got some jump and I don't think you can unlearn how to put the puck in the net. Big ice and all I'm sure he will score ok.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011

Scoring more goals, other than that their AHL-seasons have been very similar

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad