Seravalli: Mikael Backlund is also leaning toward not re-signing in Calgary

Bond

May 10, 2012
It was reported before Sutter was hired again that it was an ownership decision and not a Treliving decision.

I also think Treliving wanted to rebuild last season and wasn't allowed to. Further to that it was reported that Gaudreau had his extension all but signed and changed his mind after talking to owner with his agent, think it was Friedman that noted that.
Tre sucked at hiring coaches. He got two more than most GMs. All that was said was that there was a rebuilding offer on the table for Tkachuk and a the Florida one and they went with Florida.
Gaudreau changed his mind after talking to his wife and mom. The Meredith car ride

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
My guess is that they hold onto Backlund until the trade deadline. At his age the return wouldn't be any higher now than at the deadline so the only reason to trade him now is if you want to blow it up and tank, and the Flames aren't the type of org to do that.
That would be their undoing if they dont rebuild. They don't even have a number 1 center anymore once Lindholm goes out and they would be left with only Kadri as their legitimate top 6 Center and he is getting older too and not that young anymore. Best to blow it up and rebuild. People here keep crying about Canucks not wanting to rebuild but they have foundational pieces such as Pettersson, Hughes, Kuzmenko and Demko to build upon. Flames have absolutely no young elite forward, D or goalie in the age of 20-25 bracket. That would not be good for them if they keep delaying to rebuild and draft high.

CgyFlamesftw

Apr 28, 2009
No way Calgary is a playoff team anymore, especially with vets and some of their good players like Lindholm, Backlund, Toffoli etc. wanting out. Calgary doesnt even have much of a prospect pool to trade from or build from to replace those guys and free agents wouldn't choose Calgary unless they are overpaid. So Calgary is in a really bad place. Am not even mentioning the fact that they are in the division where they need to compete against Vegas, Edmonton, Seattle, LA and possibly an improved Vancouver team to make the playoffs just in their own division. Calgary will be similar to SJ and Anaheim, bottom feeders and likely will be there for a long while.
You keep boasting how great Vancouver is. That organization is a train wreck.

Reactions: PuckG and Lt Dan

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
You keep boasting how great Vancouver is. That organization is a train wreck.
Its a lot better than Calgary right now, thats for sure. Especially since Benning is not here anymore. I don't trust Conroy at all, so good luck with your team. Canucks just bought out one of the reasons why they didnt make playoffs in OEL, now they need to get rid of Myers to make the playoffs. Those are easy fixes and with the amount of players wanting out or being bought out right now around the league, it will make Canucks job much easier to acquire a 3C and some top 4D whether its through trades or free agency.

• Haha
Reactions: PuckG and Haatley

CgyFlamesftw

Apr 28, 2009
Its a lot better than Calgary right now, thats for sure. Especially since Benning is not here anymore. I don't trust Conroy at all, so good luck with your team. Canucks just bought out one of the reasons why they didnt make playoffs in OEL, now they need to get rid of Myers to make the playoffs. Those are easy fixes and with the amount of players wanting out or being bought out right now around the league, it will make Canucks job much easier to acquire a 3C and some top 4D whether its through trades or free agency.
Oh boy. Ok who are you replacing in the pacific. Vancouver will be in no mans land taking the flames place for next few years.

Reactions: PuckG

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Oh boy. Ok who are you replacing in the pacific. Vancouver will be in no mans land taking the flames place for next few years.
There will be 5 pacific teams making the playoffs and only 3 from the central. Blues, Preds, Hawks, Jets are all rebuilding which leaves Avs, Stars and Wild as the legit playoff teams. Canucks will probably be battling Preds for the wild card spots but I see Canucks making playoffs. Maybe people here forgot the Canucks still have some young players like Hoglander, Podkolzin, Rathbone, Silovs that could hit their potential soon. I haven't written them off yet like some people here did and they are still very young.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Is Brad Treliving worst than Benning now? Did he get the crown as the worst GM or is he still the 2nd or 3rd worst? He signed and overpaid for Kadri and Huberdeau to long term high AAV deals while also driving Gudreau and Tkatchuk out of town and not re-signing them. I think that is much terrible than even Benning since we still have our high end young forward and D man in Pettersson and Hughes. Benning is definitely trash but Brad laid a huge egg before he left. Not only Calgary doesnt have young elite players to look forward to during their rebuild, they are now stuck with boat anchors in Uber doo and Kadri long term while a mass exodus is happening due to all those years of Sutter lol
Should he have signed gaudreau to an 8 year 10.5 million dollar deal? A guy taken in the same draft who's only a few months younger than Huberdeau?

Are you sure Huberdeau is a "boat anchor?"

Or is he one year removed from 115 point season and over 4 seasons prior he averaged 100 points per 82 games....

This is a boat anchor? The guy didn't play well on his off wing. Sutter error. He had lucic on his line far too often. Sutter error. This is a terrific offensive minded winger who had one rough season. Let's see if he bounces back.

Reactions: Boomstick

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Calgary fans. Remember when you guys were shit-talking Columbus all off-season last year? Man it’s crazy, Calgary seems less desirable of a city than ol Columbus.

Ah the sweet irony

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
No way Calgary is a playoff team anymore, especially with vets and some of their good players like Lindholm, Backlund, Toffoli etc. wanting out. Calgary doesnt even have much of a prospect pool to trade from or build from to replace those guys and free agents wouldn't choose Calgary unless they are overpaid. So Calgary is in a really bad place. Am not even mentioning the fact that they are in the division where they need to compete against Vegas, Edmonton, Seattle, LA and possibly an improved Vancouver team to make the playoffs just in their own division. Calgary will be similar to SJ and Anaheim, bottom feeders and likely will be there for a long while.

My point was, all these players suddenly wanting to leave would put any organization in trouble

With them, they can be competitive. Without... yeah its gonna be brutal lol

Bond

May 10, 2012
The Canucks have the worst owner in the league at this point. Good luck!

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Is Brad Treliving worst than Benning now? Did he get the crown as the worst GM or is he still the 2nd or 3rd worst? He signed and overpaid for Kadri and Huberdeau to long term high AAV deals while also driving Gudreau and Tkatchuk out of town and not re-signing them. I think that is much terrible than even Benning since we still have our high end young forward and D man in Pettersson and Hughes. Benning is definitely trash but Brad laid a huge egg before he left. Not only Calgary doesnt have young elite players to look forward to during their rebuild, they are now stuck with boat anchors in Uber doo and Kadri long term while a mass exodus is happening due to all those years of Sutter lol

Murray Edwards has a hand in it as well.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Want for the Avs. Not the fancy solution like Lindholm but could still play the Danault-style #2 center role at even strength behind a superstar like MacKinnon. Older but was as good as ever last year and as a rental - no commitment required past this year when hopefully Landeskog and his cap hit returns. And if he continues to plays well, probably get him to extend on a low key 35+ veteran contract next summer.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
The Canucks have the worst owner in the league at this point. Good luck!
If they have the worst owner, they would not be spending to cap ceiling every year and buying out players like OEL or changing and improving rogers arena like replacing old score displays and jumbotrons for newer tech which they are doing this year unlike the fLames owner. He might have meddled in the past but now that JR is in charge, he is not doing that. But I don't get what does the Canucks owner have to do with Flames recent situation and the mess they have created. But I mean if blaming the Canucks owner for the mess in Calgary makes you sleep good at night, so be it.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Nobody really wants to play for a Canadian franchise do they?
Kuzmenko did, and so did Hughes and Pettersson when they re-signed with the Canucks as well as Miller. I don't get why they wouldnt want to play in major cities like Toronto or Vancouver with fans everywhere? I guess everyone wants to play in the 5000 seat community center skating rink in Arizona and play for Coyotes while their owner is selling hotdogs outside to pay for the electric bill and the players need to take greyhound buses instead of private jets. Am sure its very good down there in some US cities eh?

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I have announced that I, hotcabbagesoup, am considering not re-signing in Calgary.

(More details later when I get to a computer)

Bond

May 10, 2012
If they have the worst owner, they would not be spending to cap ceiling every year and buying out players like OEL or changing and improving rogers arena like replacing old score displays and jumbotrons for newer tech which they are doing this year unlike the fLames owner. He might have meddled in the past but now that JR is in charge, he is not doing that. But I don't get what does the Canucks owner have to do with Flames recent situation and the mess they have created. But I mean if blaming the Canucks owner for the mess in Calgary makes you sleep good at night, so be it.
He is a meddler just like Murray lol. I don't think the Flames are much better mind you but Vancouver isn't a paragon of good ownership and management.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
He is a meddler just like Murray lol. I don't think the Flames are much better mind you but Vancouver isn't a paragon of good ownership and management.
I agree that ownership meddled and the management group run by Benning and Weisbrod sucked. But we have to see with the new president and GM, how it will go. People here are judging this new management very quickly, its been like 1.5 year since Benning was fired and left a mess with the cap and not much prospect in the pipeline.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Kuzmenko did, and so did Hughes and Pettersson when they re-signed with the Canucks as well as Miller. I don't get why they wouldnt want to play in major cities like Toronto or Vancouver with fans everywhere? I guess everyone wants to play in the 5000 seat community center skating rink in Arizona and play for Coyotes while their owner is selling hotdogs outside to pay for the electric bill and the players need to take greyhound buses instead of private jets. Am sure its very good down there in some US cities eh?
Comparing toronto and Vancouver fanbases LOL

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Comparing toronto and Vancouver fanbases LOL
I wrote a paragraph to discuss about why Players would play in Toronto and Vancouver and all you got from it is comparing Toronto and Vancouver fanbases?? This is like my dad talking about why the winds were blowing the wrong way in that Titanic scene where important discussion was going on and was part of the main storyline :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad