Seravalli: Mikael Backlund is also leaning toward not re-signing in Calgary

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
So now they're essentially forced into a rebuild, but have two boat anchors in Kadri and Huberdeau on the books. Wow.

Imagine how those two players must feel right now.:laugh:
Meh they’ll be used to hit the floor. Won’t be a big deal if the team is going to suck. Feel a little bad for huby but he got the money.

Considering Calgary will likely not be contenders for 4-5 years, if I'm them I am trading Kadri and Huberdeau with 25-50% retention for an absolute HAUL in return.
Calgary isn’t going to retain that much on players with that much term left. Might as well suck it up.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Man if only there was a perfect opportunity around this time last year to sell assets and potentially get a franchise changing player in the upcoming draft...

How ironic, the Flames' attempts to keep the train going may have derailed it completely.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Realistically, 111 pt teams don't rebuild. That has never and will never happen.
They weren’t the same team though. They lost two very important pieces. Lost Gaudreau for nothing.

I only get slightly raged over this because the Devils went through something somewhat similar with Parise and Kovalchuck which took them 10 years to fix.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Realistically, 111 pt teams don't rebuild. That has never and will never happen.
Doesn’t change that they’d be in a far better situation if they had. Like many of us said as soon as Tkachuk said he wasn’t staying.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They weren’t the same team though. They lost two very important pieces. Lost Gaudreau for nothing.

I only get slightly raged over this because the Devils went through something somewhat similar with Parise and Kovalchuck which took them 10 years to fix.
They had 107 points in 2019 and then missed the playoffs the next year. The Flames have always been regular season darlings before cratering when it matters most.

Reactions: CaptainCaveman

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Great now I have to go read the conditions on the 2025 pick they sent to the Habs with Monahan.
It's really simple despite how complex it is, lol.

The key is the Panthers finishing in a spot where they get a top 10 pick in 2024 or 2025.

If they do finish there, the only protection the Flames have is top 1 protected on their pick in 2025 and unprotected 2026.

If the Panthers do NOT finish in a spot where they get a top 10 pick in 2024 or 2025, the Flames own pick is top 10 protected. If both CGY 1st 2025 and FLA 1st 2025 are NOT top 10 picks, Habs get the better one.

Reactions: Fig and Canadienna

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Kadri, Huberdeau, and Weegar right now:

4ea.jpg

Bond

May 10, 2012
Great now I have to go read the conditions on the 2025 pick they sent to the Habs with Monahan.
Unless Florida bottoms out then best case is Montreal gets an 11th overall from the Flames. If they blow it up then more likely the Habs get Florida’s 25 1st

Reactions: Canadienna

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
They’re late by a year. Losing Tkachuk and Gaudreau was the slap in the face they needed and they ignored it and signed Huberdeau and Kadri to huge contracts instead.
They're also early by a year. Trying to move all these players while there's still the flat cap will depress the return they could've feasibly gotten if it were next season and teams had more room to fit the players in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad