Confirmed with Link: Mikael Backlund Extension - 2 Years $4.5 Million AAV, Named Captain

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
If it's really $4.5m x 2 that's honestly a better deal for the Flames than I thought the team would get. After having the best season of his career and being the 2nd fittest Flame, Backs is actually taking a pay cut. I'm also positive he could have gotten more on the FA market. Backlund took this deal to help the Flames. What a leader! Hopefully Lindholm will follow suit.

Reactions: Fig and flames23

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm cool with this contract. Short, AAV is reasonable. Which is nice because I remember thinking his previous contract was too much, for too long. Glad I was wrong.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Every single reporter so far has asked: what does it mean to you. And Backlund's response, "Yeah means a lot to me." Like 10 times already.

You expect good questions from sports reporters?

There's about 50 different questions they ask in total throughout the whole year, they are just worded differently sometimes.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I wasn’t too hot on him floated around as captain a few months back, but he’s probably the best candidate right now and is the longest tenured Flame by a long shot. He’s earned it, here’s to a good season 🍻

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I guess I was wrong. I'm surprised they announced it, but I'm very happy they did.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This is incredible. He's way more than a $4.5M player when you factor everything in around leadership. And we've only committed two years in his 30s. This seems extremely team friendly, because if he waited for a year I could see him getting at least 6 and more term on the open market.

Reactions: Fig and Ace Rimmer

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I was kinda on the fence about it earlier this summer but I'm happy Backs is Back with the C. Such a terrific 2 way C and exactly the type you want young players to emulate.

also :
80n0ia.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad