Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
This ones tricky to me, I've had covid. I have a physically demanding job, when I got back I would get winded from nothing. It took me months to get back to some normalcy I've never experienced anything like it. I'd imagine even the most minute effects would hinder your game at the highest level. Dude looked sickly in the beginning of the season. Everything thats transpired so far this season I'd throw in the towel on this team for the year before I sour on Zibanejad

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
I thought he took a big step a couple games ago. sadly, he’s regressed back to the nothingness he’s been since the start of the season.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
His best chance last night he shot right into Blackwood. It's time to separate him and Kreider. Put Rooney in his his spot, who gives a f*** at this point. Send a message. If you can demote Buchnevich, who's been better all season, and Kreider, you can stop praying that Zibanejad will just 'find it' again and stop force feeding him minutes. If all he is this year is a shut-down, checking line center, better to utilize him that way. Maybe he'll get it into his head to start driving the net again instead of wheeling around and taking laps of the ozone with his playmates.

Reactions: Anthony5967

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Is it too much to be disgusted with him this year. He's totally checked out. I was excited after the first Boston game. That might have been one of like 2 games this season he's given a f***. Thank God we didn't give him a contract extension based on last season.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
His best chance last night he shot right into Blackwood. It's time to separate him and Kreider. Put Rooney in his his spot, who gives a f*** at this point. Send a message. If you can demote Buchnevich, who's been better all season, and Kreider, you can stop praying that Zibanejad will just 'find it' again and stop force feeding him minutes. If all he is this year is a shut-down, checking line center, better to utilize him that way. Maybe he'll get it into his head to start driving the net again instead of wheeling around and taking laps of the ozone with his playmates.
That's my issue with this bozo behind the bench and why I have to wonder if guys have checked out. He holds certain guys accountable and some he doesn't. That doesn't earn respect. It just exposes you as a fraud.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
This ones tricky to me, I've had covid. I have a physically demanding job, when I got back I would get winded from nothing. It took me months to get back to some normalcy I've never experienced anything like it. I'd imagine even the most minute effects would hinder your game at the highest level. Dude looked sickly in the beginning of the season. Everything thats transpired so far this season I'd throw in the towel on this team for the year before I sour on Zibanejad
I've had COVID as well. So I agree this is a tricky one. I don't even have a physically demanding job and still felt very mentally slow for months afterwards. Studies bear this out too.

I don't think we'll see Zib bounce back until next season. It took me about 3-5 months before I started feeling like myself again. It's a bummer, but I really don't think there's much that could be done about the situation. I still think he's the great player we all saw last year deep down. It wasn't a fluke.

Reactions: B17 Apricots

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Before this season started, I was convinced that this guy should get the captaincy. Ok, and I'm wrong about things sometimes.

But still, I'm not going to condemn him after 14 games. I'll condemn his play this season 100% but in terms of what's inside, I still think this guy is good teammate and an importance presence.

He's not alone. Something's not right. This team was fun and fiery (albeit still bad) before covid hit. The bubble was a human rights violation and we haven't gained any ground since.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Bear with me for some speculation:

My theory that I don't think is a stretch is that Zibanejad has some limitations as a natural athlete. Conditioning is something that takes work for him.

I've long wondered if this makes it tougher from him to come back from injuries...i.e. time off not skating is particularly destructive to Zibanejad due to the level of effort required to keep up his conditioning. Some very simple analysis of his performance pre and post injury indicates that could be the case (however to be clear this proves nothing):

2016-17 - Broken fibula, 11/20 v Florida missed 25 games:
Before: 19 Games, 15 Points, 0.79 Pt/Game
After: 37 Games, 22 Points, 0.59 Pt/Game

2017-18 - Concussion, 11/22 @ Carolina missed 10 games:
Before: 22 Games, 22 Points, 1.00 Pt/Game
After: 50 Games, 25 Points, 0.50 Pt/Game

2018-19 - Played all 82 games:
Before: 82 Games, 74 Points, 0.90 Pt/Game
After: n/a

2019-20 - Concussion, 10/27 v Boston missed 13 games:
Before: 9 Games, 11 Points, 1.22 Pt/Game
After: 48 Games, 64 Points, 1.33 Pt/Game
After Excluding 21 Game Hot Streak: 27 Games, 31 Points, 1.15 Pt/Game

2020-21 - COVID, off season:
Before: n/a
After:
14 Games, 3 Points, 0.21 Pt/Game

2016-21 - Total NYR Career:
Before: 132 Games, 122 Points, 0.92 Pt/Game
After: 149 Games, 114 Points, 0.77 Pt/Game
After Excluding 21 Game Hot Streak: 128 Games, 81 Points, 0.63 Pt/Game

In Summary:

Performance drops off after an injury...shocking I know. But to me what is interesting is the in-season drop off that is subsequently made up for in off season training at the start of a new year. To me this paints a concerning picture when you are talking about giving this guy a UFA 7 year contract into his 30s. Problem is the NYR may have no choice.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
He's had some pretty severe injuries. Concussions and a broken leg. Also there's no real justification for separating his 'hot streak' out like that.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Clearly this is covid related. For some people it’s a longer term issue then for others. It’s just a fact. Saying he doesn’t care suddenly is really silly.

As for cutting his minutes to “hold him accountable” - this team has no depth at his position. You can’t cut someone’s minutes when you have nobody to replace them with. Strome sure as hell doesn’t deserve more minutes if we’re in an accountability streak and putting Rooney as 1C is just ridiculous.

I’d try to put Kakko with him for a game and see what happens. Kakko has been doing the dirty work and setting up chances for his center and Mika needs exactly that.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Clearly this is covid related. For some people it’s a longer term issue then for others. It’s just a fact. Saying he doesn’t care suddenly is really silly.

As for cutting his minutes to “hold him accountable” - this team has no depth at his position. You can’t cut someone’s minutes when you have nobody to replace them with. Strome sure as hell doesn’t deserve more minutes if we’re in an accountability streak and putting Rooney as 1C is just ridiculous.

I’d try to put Kakko with him for a game and see what happens. Kakko has been doing the dirty work and setting up chances for his center and Mika needs exactly that.
if his issue was conditioning, I'd agreee.

His hands and processing/decision making have gone to shit. Highly doubt it's covid related.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
I don't get the impression that he doesn't care. If anything he's trying too hard and forcing things. He's clearly not all there and unfortunately he just happens to be our second most important forward by a longshot

Ready to burn this season alive

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
It's just a talking point. He shot at an absolutely ridiculous percent.

There was no good reason to think Mika had become a preseason Richard contender, sure.

We don't know what COVID did or didn't do to him. We don't know anything like that at all. He's still playing big minutes... Hockey's a team sport and I just think he and Kreider need time apart. In fact, I think Mika needs time apart from other 'scorers' as well. To me, it looks more like a mental issue than a physical one. He's frustrated, he's not finding the same chemistry with Kreider or Buchnevich. He's shooting, but more out of obligation than confidence. I'd like to see him played in a checking role. Send the message to him that nobody's going to break him out of the slump. He's going to have to do it himself, and not with shots from 20 feet out or on the rush with his other 'scorers.' It's going to have to be just like Kevin Rooney has gotten his, or Gautheir for that matter. Drive the net with the puck. Pay the price. Don't cheat. And don't expect yourself to be Ovechkin anymore.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago

There's nothing clear about this. It's an assumption. He had COVID, we know that. And we know at least that he missed TC, but it's been over a month now so you'd expect he'd be back up to speed despite that. I'm not saying it's far-fetched to think it's COVID, but it's hardly a given. Mika is on record stating that it hasn't been an issue...

And to the point about depth, replacing, etc. We literally just watched this team scratch DeAngelo for two games in favor of Johnson/B.Smith. We've seen Blackwell moved up in the lineup so that Buchnevich can move down. We're not getting goals, we're not getting wins. Rooney at 1C is ridiculous as a long-term solution. It's hardly ridiculous to ask how much could it really hurt at this point.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York

His hands and processing/decision making have gone to shit. Highly doubt it's covid related.

So you think all of his hockey skills just dropped of a cliff in his mid-20's? When recovering from any type of illness (especially if respiratory), it can take weeks to months for your physical and mental aptitude to return to normal. Heck, you can still tell just by looking at him he's not all there.

Reactions: haveandare

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
So you think all of his hockey skills just dropped of a cliff in his mid-20's? When recovering from any type of illness (especially if respiratory), it can take weeks to months for your physical and mental aptitude to return to normal. Heck, you can still tell just by looking at him he's not all there.
no. but I do not think he was as focused or dedicated as he was in the past. These weren't/aren't normal times.

he's playing catchup and if/when he does finally catch up, it will be too late. I'm fairly confident he will be old Mika next season. Being a contract year helps as well.

Last edited:

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
My fear is Nash syndrome (Lindros too). After a certain amount of concussions the brain isnt the same. Nash never played that heavy style game after his last concussion with the Rangers. He stuck to the outside and stick checked vs used his body.

Mcleoud took a run at Ziba and he look a little shook on the bench. Seems like he takes a big hit like that and everyone is holding their collective breaths but mentally for Ziba it throws him off his game.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Brain fog and similar cognitive issues are pretty well documented effects in many cases
There's nothing clear about this. It's an assumption. He had COVID, we know that. And we know at least that he missed TC, but it's been over a month now so you'd expect he'd be back up to speed despite that. I'm not saying it's far-fetched to think it's COVID, but it's hardly a given. Mika is on record stating that it hasn't been an issue...

And to the point about depth, replacing, etc. We literally just watched this team scratch DeAngelo for two games in favor of Johnson/B.Smith. We've seen Blackwell moved up in the lineup so that Buchnevich can move down. We're not getting goals, we're not getting wins. Rooney at 1C is ridiculous as a long-term solution. It's hardly ridiculous to ask how much could it really hurt at this point.
It’s an assumption with ample evidence. He’s been improving steadily over the course of years and just totally fell off after having a virus that is known to have lingering effects in many cases. No player ever says anything specific is an issue, sickness, family trouble, relationship issues, etc but they’re human and have problems with all of these things. It’s not stuff they talk about or point to as excuses.

TDA was the third best player at his position and he was scratched for making a hot headed mistake. Mika doesn’t need to have it beat into his head that he’s not playing well, he knows and has said as much. He needs to get out of it and imo bigish minutes with other dangerous players is the best bet for that.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I don't get the impression that he doesn't care. If anything he's trying too hard and forcing things. He's clearly not all there and unfortunately he just happens to be our second most important forward by a longshot

Ready to burn this season alive

i would scratch him for a game or 2. maybe that might give him some energy. to me looks weak and tired. maybe he needs a rest

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad