Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad

NYR3

Feb 8, 2021
Once Mika starts scoring, and he will if he keeps playing like last night against arguably the best all around line in hockey, the rest of the team will fall into place.
This is good and bad tbh. Good because yay, we can win some games but bad because we can't be a team that depends on 2 guys.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This is good and bad tbh. Good because yay, we can win some games but bad because we can't be a team that depends on 2 guys.
They are not. The issue lies with the fact that Krieder is streaky (always has been) and you have a pair of 19 year olds that are being relied on. Compounded by the fact that Chytil got injured just as it began looking like he could take the 2C role.

Plus don't forget that Buchnevich has been solid. But the turning of the corner is coming.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I think the supporting cast is a lot more improved this year than last. If the top 6 forwards were scoring at a similar rate to last year, our record would be far better than it is. The fourth line was the most productive last night.

NYR3

Feb 8, 2021
I think the supporting cast is a lot more improved this year than last. If the top 6 forwards were scoring at a similar rate to last year, our record would be far better than it is. The fourth line was the most productive last night.
Eh, what ifs mean nothing to me. We are what we are and we need to be better

Reactions: Peltz

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Thus far, Zibanejad has one goal on 39 shots, a cool 2.6 percent conversion rate. He has never been below 10 percent in a full season and shot at least 12 percent three years in a row coming into this season. Yes, there is positive regression coming. He won't stay at 2.6 percent shooting.

But it is worth digging into what's going on here. For that, I turn to HockeyViz and his shot locations. This was 2019-20 at even strength:
zibashot1.png

We can see he had no problem getting to the net and a lot of his shots were from within 20 feet. We know scoring rates go up as we get closer to the net, so this all makes sense. That this season led to a career-best in goals is not surprising.
What's going on this year? Glad you asked:
zibashot2.png

That is a wild, wild change in pattern. He went from almost exclusively shooting from the slot to almost exclusively shooting from beyond the tops of the circles. There is a stark difference in shooting 20 feet away from the slot and 40-45 feet away from the circle.

Reactions: Fireonk and Mikos87

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Thus far, Zibanejad has one goal on 39 shots, a cool 2.6 percent conversion rate. He has never been below 10 percent in a full season and shot at least 12 percent three years in a row coming into this season. Yes, there is positive regression coming. He won't stay at 2.6 percent shooting.

But it is worth digging into what's going on here. For that, I turn to HockeyViz and his shot locations. This was 2019-20 at even strength:
zibashot1.png

We can see he had no problem getting to the net and a lot of his shots were from within 20 feet. We know scoring rates go up as we get closer to the net, so this all makes sense. That this season led to a career-best in goals is not surprising.
zibashot2.png

That is a wild, wild change in pattern. He went from almost exclusively shooting from the slot to almost exclusively shooting from beyond the tops of the circles. There is a stark difference in shooting 20 feet away from the slot and 40-45 feet away from the circle.

Great comparison. That is the way to use data- it's the insights. Been posting about it for a while about how perimeter the play as been. There have been games where the Rangers homeplated it the entire time. A couple of weeks ago, I raised the question, what do the Wins and Losses look like versus the star player's shot placements.

Stromes another one to compare as well. Same with Bread.

As far as the dirty goals go, you can see the bottom six guys starting to figure it out. Shorter passes, confusion in front of the net. If you don't have the head or hands to be a skillful deceptive player, you can still cause deception through confusion. Rooney's been real good at that, you can see Lemieux getting a hold of his role there. Gauthier too.

I wonder if there is a way to measure low-event shifts versus not. That would be a good way to track momentum within a hockey game.

Betelgeuse

Sep 21, 2018

zibashot1.png

zibashot2.png

Sourced from Feb 12 Ramblings at DobberHockey.com

Reactions: Mikos87

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
This team needs a sports Psychologist...a staff of them at this point. I'm sure he put high expectations on himself after last year and Covid set him back. Now its clearly not a physical problem but a mental one. Last year he wasn't just deadly on the left side on the PP but consistently rotated to the slot and front of the net and actually score a handful of rebound/tip goals. That breakaway the other night where he took a slapper that missed the broad side of a barn? Remember he used to fake it and go for the deft 5 hole shot? That isn't there. Even his breakaway was a muffin shot instead of his nasty backhand. This guy has zero mojo right now.

The highlight of the year is him winning rock-paper-scissors. Sigh.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This team needs a sports Psychologist...a staff of them at this point. I'm sure he put high expectations on himself after last year and Covid set him back. Now its clearly not a physical problem but a mental one. Last year he wasn't just deadly on the left side on the PP but consistently rotated to the slot and front of the net and actually score a handful of rebound/tip goals. That breakaway the other night where he took a slapper that missed the broad side of a barn? Remember he used to fake it and go for the deft 5 hole shot? That isn't there. Even his breakaway was a muffin shot instead of his nasty backhand. This guy has zero mojo right now.

Maple Leafs have one. Why don't we?

Reactions: free0717

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

What are our coaches doing? They should be able to work through these mental problems, but Quinn is clueless.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Whatever can help Mika get his game back I am positive with. How about a Psychologist helping ADA control his temper? The Organization did everything to help Lias Anderson. they didn't do anything to help ADA.

Yeah, I'm going to say no to this. It's one of the reasons I feel this org needs to be more involved in player development

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What are our coaches doing? They should be able to work through these mental problems, but Quinn is clueless.
Or maybe considering that he had friggin' Covid we need to have some more patience? His game has been coming around these last few games. Actually for last several games, he has had as poor a puck luck as the rest of the team.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
It’s not just lack of production. Zibanejad looks less engaged and dynamic than last season.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad