Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
The Rangers should say no. The difference between Zibanejad and Eichel when both are healthy is not Kravtsov, Schneider, and a 2nd. And of the two, Eichel is injured more frequently and more seriously than Zib.

Also, I still think that Schneider is crucial for future cap management. He's the only D prospect who likely brings what Trouba brings on the right side. If I were a betting man (and, like, had money), I'd bet that Trouba finishes his contract as a Florida Panther after Schneider is ready to fill his role.

He's from Detroit. I could see him there in 3-4 years.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
FWIW, it's incredibly normal for a player/his agent to ask/say that they want X amount of money that is usually high af. Common negotiation tactic in the world.

The Rangers will then low-ball the hell out of him, and then they will meet in the middle, somewhere between 7.5-9, probably.

Also, if we're going to be spending ~9M on a top center, I'd rather ship out Zibanejad (if he waives NMC) and get Eichel. The difference between both is astronomical when healthy, and I see no reason neither will be healthy barring a random injury in-season.

Also, Zibanejad is more/equally as injury-prone as Eichel, so let's not go with that argument.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
So Zib's agent is going to pretend last year didn't happen.

Absolute joke. I'm so sick of every long term contract handed out in this league being a poison pill

Reactions: mas0764

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Mika's demand is bonkers imo.
I'd rather have eichel at 10m than zibs really.
... my god. What a disheartening weekend.

Eichel's contract is much more manageable. That's something I've said for months. I knew Mika would demand this

Eichel has 5 years left. As long as his neck is fixable which obviously is still a question mark

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I LOVE Mika. But if this 10m and 8 year demand is true and we do have to explore moving him...

Trade Mika for futures a la the Jones deal, trade for Eichel, re-sign Strome 5m AAV for 4 years.

Laf - Eichel - Kakko
Panarin - Strome - Kravtsov
Kreider - Chytil - Goodrow
Blais - Rooney - Barron

Idk folks, that looks pretty good to me. Of course, that's assuming we keep Kravtsov and Chytil. Perhaps we move them in the Eichel deal and then fill in some spaces with UFAs?

Kreider - Eichel - Lafreniere
Panarin - Strome - Kakko
Goodrow - UFA - UFA
Blais - Rooney - Barron

how can you trade for Eichel without knowing anything medical wise? No to Zibby b/c bis productivity could decline but yes to Eichel who is already injured?

Really don’t follow the logic?

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
He's from Detroit. I could see him there in 3-4 years.

Maybe. I know that he and his wife are crazy about Florida, to the point that they already own a house in Ft. Lauderdale (just a few miles from where the Panthers play). Once she’s finished with her residency and is in the proper medical job market, I’d be surprised if they didn’t look to Florida first.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
So no Eichel, and Zibanejad might be gone too.

Glad we traded Buchnevich! Otherwise we wouldn't have enough cap space left to create a money pool to swim in like Scrooge McDuck.

Also, after that Buch deal, do any of us trust Drury to trade Zibanejad for proper value? I sure don't.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Why do people continue to act like the Eichel trade would be made without the Rangers docs seeing the records? THINK people. Buffalo isn’t, maybe can’t, show them to anyone who asks. WHEN a deal is agreed upon then you share them. How often do you hear of a deal, contingent on medicals? All the time.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Alex Ovechkin is expected to sign a four-year deal worth around $10 million with Washington once all is said and done. They’re trying to shed salary (Kuznetsov) and will continue their trade talks.

if Ovechkin gets 10, why should Zibanejad? I think he gets 8.5-9 for 6 years in the end. He is starting high

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
So Zib's agent is going to pretend last year didn't happen.

Absolute joke. I'm so sick of every long term contract handed out in this league being a poison pill

Pretend what? That his client was wiped out by a nasty virus for a good bit at the start of the season before going on to set multiple records for his lamp lighting performances?

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
how can you trade for Eichel without knowing anything medical wise? No to Zibby b/c bis productivity could decline but yes to Eichel who is already injured?

Really don’t follow the logic?
I mean anything I’m saying about Eichel is under the idea that he’s going to be healthy. If the medicals don’t check out then none of what I said would be on the table at all.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I mean anything I’m saying about Eichel is under the idea that he’s going to be healthy. If the medicals don’t check out then none of what I said would be on the table at all.

Imo, if he was healthy medicals would have been shared and he would have been traded somewhere. Camp starts in Sept and we’re a week from August.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Pretend what? That his client was wiped out by a nasty virus for a good bit at the start of the season before going on to set multiple records for his lamp lighting performances?

he was AWOL for months. He should have been out of the lineup if he was recovering.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
I think he’ll come down with his ask. My impression is that he and his girlfriend really likes NY and don’t wanna move. Hopefully we can get him to sign 8*6years, that would be reasonable.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
signing Zib for long term/$$ is just as bad as the NYR throwing money at big name from years past. Rangers are in trouble at Center, but they can't commit $ to Zib.

just as bad of a move as overpaying for Eichel

Reactions: ArPanet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad