Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I just don't see how giving Zibanejad a long-term deal is a good idea. He's already declining despite his SH% going up an absurd amount over the past 2 years, his contract will start when he's 29. He's not good defensively.

I’m not even worried about his defense. He’ll probably improve a bit with a complement system in place and if he continues to score 40, he can pretty much do whatever he wants. I’d even load him and Panarin up next year and just tell them to go out there and offense.

I’m more worried about how long he’ll continue to score 40. I foresee a huge year ahead of him if he goes in without a contract. I’m not worried about him age 29-31, it’s those years after. 5 years is manageable, 7-8 is not.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I just don't see how giving Zibanejad a long-term deal is a good idea. He's already declining despite his SH% going up an absurd amount over the past 2 years, his contract will start when he's 29. He's not good defensively.

There are almost no 29 year old players worthy of giving 7 year deals. That doesn't stop teams from doing it though.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
He has an NMC. Best Drury can do is to try to replicate what Jarmo did with Jones.
I LOVE Mika. But if this 10m and 8 year demand is true and we do have to explore moving him...

Trade Mika for futures a la the Jones deal, trade for Eichel, re-sign Strome 5m AAV for 4 years.

Laf - Eichel - Kakko
Panarin - Strome - Kravtsov
Kreider - Chytil - Goodrow
Blais - Rooney - Barron

Idk folks, that looks pretty good to me. Of course, that's assuming we keep Kravtsov and Chytil. Perhaps we move them in the Eichel deal and then fill in some spaces with UFAs?

Kreider - Eichel - Lafreniere
Panarin - Strome - Kakko
Goodrow - UFA - UFA
Blais - Rooney - Barron

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
You almost do a long term, career contract with the intention of buying it out eventually. These kinds of contacts are destined for buyouts. They're done to satisfy the short term and mid term psyches of both the player and the organization.

Reactions: CLW

Lone Ranger

Jan 31, 2009
New York
Now that the Av's deal with Makar has set the price for Fox at around 9 million, I don't think we can afford Mika at 10 million per even on a shorter deal.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I LOVE Mika. But if this 10m and 8 year demand is true and we do have to explore moving him...

Trade Mika for futures a la the Jones deal, trade for Eichel, re-sign Strome 5m AAV for 4 years.

Laf - Eichel - Kakko
Panarin - Strome - Kravtsov
Kreider - Chytil - Goodrow
Blais - Rooney - Barron

Idk folks, that looks pretty good to me. Of course, that's assuming we keep Kravtsov and Chytil. Perhaps we move them in the Eichel deal and then fill in some spaces with UFAs?

Kreider - Eichel - Lafreniere
Panarin - Strome - Kakko
Goodrow - UFA - UFA
Blais - Rooney - Barron

If we trade Zib we create a need for Eichel. Atm Eichel is a luxury. Once the Rangers have a need Buffalo are not going to lower their price for Eichel.

Reactions: haveandare

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
If we trade Zib we create a need for Eichel. Atm Eichel is a luxury. Once the Rangers have a need Buffalo are not going to lower their price for Eichel.
Which is why if this happens I think we trade for Eichel with our pieces and then replenish what we lost by trading Mika, so the second lineup I listed is probably more realistic.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
They just have to be careful. I don't blame Zib--or really ANY player who has spent years on a bargain contract--for wanting to get paid. They just need to communicate with him. If he wants 10 million, it can't be anywhere close to 8 years. Five years would be the max term on that contract, and it would have to be the most buyout friendly contract in existence.

If that doesn't look like it will work, then now really IS an ideal time to move him. Buffalo has several teams dangling on Eichel, and we could easily get ~75% of that ask on Zib at 50% retained (depending on the team, I doubt Zib would hold things up re: his NTC, especially if he knows that he's priced himself out of the team's budget).

In that case, it's not an awful idea to check in with Strome to see what money and term he's looking to get. If Strome can be had at a far more affordable price, and we can run Strome/Chytil maybe Danault or someone along those terms, it wouldn't be the end of the world. The way this team is constructed, it will live and die on the strength of the wings and the defense. We were never going to have enough cap room to keep all the W's and D's AND have two #1 centers. Don't forget, this team did go to the Stanley Cup final with Derek Stepan as the #1C. If Laf/Kakko develop as expected, they, in addition to Panarin, would all be better than any wing on that roster, and the 6 defensemen would also be significantly better/more diverse than the group during that run.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Minnesota - Zibanejad
NYR - Eichel, Foligno (Minn needs money going out supposedly, not sure who else fits here).
Buffalo - Boldy and a 1st from Minn Kravtsov, Schneider, 2nd from NY

Rangers have 24 year old Jack Eichel for 5 years and 21 year old Chytil. add some more size/grit with Foligno

Rangers can't get Eichel with just Kravtsov and Schneider, and Minnesota can't get Eichel with just Boldy and a 1st rounder and they need the rest of their young prospects/RFAs to fill out the team.

which team would say no?

and maybe I'm drunk tonight so bare with me

Last edited:

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I wouldn’t extend strome no matter what happens with Zibanejad
Very fair, I was just thinking in terms of at least keeping one of the top 2 centers around. Although we could potentially move them both and fill their spots with Eichel and then a UFA/Chytil/Who knows. I was just thinking if we trade Mika we might want to keep Strome for continuity and stuff. If he would sign a team friendly deal and Gallant isn’t as insistent as using him on the top PP unit then I would be happy to keep him around.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Minnesota - Zibanejad
NYR - Eichel, Foligno (Minn needs money going out supposedly, not sure who else fits here).
Buffalo - Boldy and a 2nd from Minn Kravtsov, Schneider, 1st from NY

Rangers have 24 year old Jack Eichel for 5 years and 21 year old Chytil. add some more size/grit with Foligno

Rangers can't get Eichel with just Kravtsov and Schneider, and Minnesota can't get Eichel with just Boldy and a 1st rounder and they need the rest of their young prospects/RFAs to fill out the team.

which team would say no?

Minnesota gives up the 1st in this scenario. They get Zib for Boldy, Foligno, 2nd. We give up Zib, Kravtsov, Schneider, 1st. I think if you flip the picks or give us the 2nd it makes more sense.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Minnesota - Zibanejad
Buffalo - Boldy and a 1st from Minn Kravtsov, Schneider, 2nd from NY

which team would say no?

The Rangers should say no. The difference between Zibanejad and Eichel when both are healthy is not Kravtsov, Schneider, and a 2nd. And of the two, Eichel is injured more frequently and more seriously than Zib.

Also, I still think that Schneider is crucial for future cap management. He's the only D prospect who likely brings what Trouba brings on the right side. If I were a betting man (and, like, had money), I'd bet that Trouba finishes his contract as a Florida Panther after Schneider is ready to fill his role.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
If we can sign Ziban to a 7-8 million a year I would probably be ok with it. But 10 is pushing it. Definitely not in a long term contract. I think Chytil is going to end up one of our top 6 centers. Who the other one will eventually be is up in the air.

I highly doubt it will be Eichel though. The asking price for him is still way too high and if we add that cap hit it could seriously bite us in the butt when we have to pay our upcoming, hopeful stars like Laf, Fox, Kakko, Shesterkin, Kravtsov etc..

I really don't want Eichel here for numerous reasons. As it is I don't see us re-signing Panarin in 2026. And it's very difficult to say if we would re-sign Ziban either. I honestly don't think we need a player like Eichel. Or even a player like Ziban. We have Chytil. He needs to drastically improve on faceoffs though. And then, we need more of a Jonathan Toews or Toews light type player than an Eichel type player. And that player shouldn't cost as much as Eichel or even Ziban. And I actually think the Othmann pick was made with an eye on the very long term. As a possible eventual replacement for Panarin when the time comes. If Othmann reaches his potential at least.

I would love to see Horvat here, but that's not happening. Jaime Benn might be a bit older but he'd make the perfect 2C for this team. That's the range I am hoping for with our future at center. Eichel just doesn't bring the traits we need out of our centers now. We have tons of high end offensive skill all ready. Now we need to compliment that appropriately. Obviously, still needing a center with some skill, maybe even up to a PPG ceiling. But not an Eichel ceiling, or with Eichel risks and prices. And as good as Ziban is, I don't think he's consistent enough or healthy enough to be a 10 mil a year player. In that scenario, if we were definitely shelling out 10+ a year for a center, Eichel would make more sense. Except for the really important part where we would have to trade a way at least a few of our very young, very high ceiling players. And I do not want that happening under any circumstances, even if it could have meant getting Eichel.

I would honestly also be happy with someone like Larkin, JT Miller, Landeskog, Hischier, Hertl, even Ryan Johansen or Dvorak for the right price, or anyone else in that range that wouldn't break the bank. All though Landeskog does want a lot to re-sign and Johansen's current contract is a bit high. I would even take a gamble on some young, unproven possible late bloomer like Jost, Glass, or JAD. Tyler Johnson though seems like the type of player we will add for this season to play 3C.

This is why I wanted Lucius or Bolduc a ton, who were both still available, instead of Othmann. Lucius could seriously turn into a player similar to Ziban eventually. Or, since we took Othmann, if Drury could have acquired a 2nd round pick, when Raty and Pinelli were still on the board, that would have brought this draft from a B to an A for me. And would be nice trying to groom our future top 6 C rather than paying a high price for one.

Last edited:

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
Was the last 40 goal scoring 1C we had Messier?

Zibanejad @ 10 million. Fox around 9.5. The next few years are going to be tricky.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
He will get 10 on the open market. Like Auf said, this isnt 2007.

from who? A bottom feeder? 10 is more important to him on a loser team over 8.5 with what the Rangers are building? Teams on the brink aren’t even flushed with cap space

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad