Teams coming back to earth

JGuardz

Dec 22, 2009
They've beat 0 legit playoff teams. That being said, their start has given them a real opportunity to grab a playoff spot - the oilers of recent years lose at least 2 of these opening 5 games for sure

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It's still early to say. Buffalo looked good last year as well and then fell off.

I guess the question is what do the underlying metrics look like? IIRC, Buffalo's metrics were bad even though they were squeaking out wins which indicated they were finding ways to win even though they were being outplayed, so people expected a regression, and it happened. (I could be wrong about that, but that's what I remembered).

I realize 5 games is probably too small of a sample size for any real statistical analysis, but for those that watch EDM, are they outplaying/outchancing other teams?

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
They’ve had a fairly opportunistic start in which they haven’t faced any real competition, they still end up playing from behind every game. Sooner than later this will catch up to them

Reactions: pown

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
They still only have 1 line, questionable D, and Mike Smith. No, they are not good.
Yes they are. If you actually watch them. They have 2 lines that can kill you in an instant. Power play is good pk is good and Goaltending it much better.

Reactions: The Apologist

TheTradeIsOneForOne

Sep 16, 2019
They still only have 1 line, questionable D, and Mike Smith. No, they are not good.

Our D has looked 100 times better this year. Especially since Bear moved in to Larsson's spot. Klefbom has 7 points, Nurse is looking very good.

They are still going to need some more depth scoring but things are looking up.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
Don't jinx us seriously. We got an easy schedule and are getting very good production from our top two lines. Goaltending still could have issues and we have no depth scoring. This shouldn't be on the main board. It's great we are having one of our best starts yet but let's wait until the end of November. This is just going to turn into an oiler bash thread as usual.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
We have threads on the canes and Sabres

Seems only fair

Way too premature. It’s cool the Oilers are 5-0, and have all involved a come from behind Victory, but it’s all against lower seeded teams from last year.

I will say they look better than last year though.

Also, in before guys like @Puckluck13 who say the Oilers fan base is celebrating like we’ve won the cup.

Reactions: 8LX7psQ and Coffey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad