Mid-Season Report Cards

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Hard to believe the season is halfway over already. I’ve definitely been pleasantly surprised by the overall entertainment value of this year to date - I thought this team would be tougher to score against than in previous years, thanks to the additions of guys like Beagle and Roussel, but I didn’t see the high octane offense coming in.

So - who’s done well? Who’s flopped? And who’s in between?

My two cents...

Elias Pettersson - A+
Any attempts I had to temper my expectations for Pettersson were completely abandoned after his first game against Calgary. Just an astounding player.

Bo Horvat - A+
Definitely less flashy than my other A+, but Horvat might well be the team’s MVP to this point. Put in colossal work while both Beagle and Sutter were out, and has been everything the team has needed whenever they’ve needed it. Put the “C” on him already.

Alex Edler - A
When healthy, Edler has been our best defender (IMO) this year. He’s logged huge shutdown minutes and is having a fine offense season, too.

Brock Boeser - A-
His overall game has room to improve, but Brock is here to contribute offense - and he’s deliver on that in spades. Once those other components are lined up, look out. That he’s firing at a point a game clip despite not being himself and playing through injuries is impressive.

Jacob Markstrom - B+
If this was based purely on December, he’d be the highest ranked guy here. He’s been tremendous of late - nice to see him having such a good season.

Chris Tanev - B+
Had a rough patch after injuries this year, but is back to his usual excellent self of late. He and Edler do yeoman’s work on the blueline.

Ben Hutton - B
After a disastrous year last year, it seems Hutton has finally reasserted his place as a fixture on the roster. That he’s done this largely playing with some boat anchors for partners is even more impressive.

Antoine Roussel - B
It’s like we’ve got prime Jannik Hansen back on this team, but even more annoying. One of the hardest working guys night in and night out. I’ve been very happy with him.

Jay Beagle - B
Debated going “incomplete”, but I think he’s played enough. Huge on the PK, provides enormous relief for Horvat. Blocks shots, grinds in the boards, the works. Been a very effective contributor when healthy.

Jake Virtanen - B-
When he’s been on this year, he’s been terrific. Much improved consistency and finally using the shot that helped him score so much in junior. Developing his overall hockey IQ, too. Still has shifts (and the rare whole game) where he drifts. But huge improvements here. The Shotgun Jake movement is an added highlight this year, too.

Nikolay Goldobin - C+
Goldobin has improved his overall game immensely. He backchecks hard, he grinds on the boards, and he goes to dirty areas more than he ever has. He’s a guy you won’t really notice until he’s making a gorgeous saucer pass that ends up being a goal. Could still be more consistent offensively, but overall, he’s established himself as a regular on the team.

Troy Stecher - C+
Outside of Alex Biega, there may not be another player on the team who hustles harder. Stecher is underused (in my opinion) and sits further down the team’s totem pole than I would like, but he fills whatever role is asked of him and is usually solid doing it.

Tyler Motte - C+
For a guy no one was pencilling onto their opening night rosters, he has done very well. His speed gives other teams fits. He has games where he fades, but the plusses have far outweighed the negatives.

Anders Nilsson - C+
Much improved over last season. Has given the team a chance to win against some tough opponents.

Alex Biega - C+
Needs to be in the lineup every night over others who are there. Works his ass off, can actually play defense, and brings more grit than most of the blueline does.

Loui Eriksson - C
Ignoring his contract. As a penalty killer and shutdown forward paired with Horvat, he has been decent in that role. Always hope for a bit more, but at least he isn’t hurting the team out there.

Adam Gaudette - C
Confident he will be a regular NHL player in some capacity based on his play this year. Whether it’s as a top or bottom six player remains to be seen. But he’s a hard working kid with a great attitude.

Markus Granlund - C-
I may take some heat for this, but oh well. I think he’s been OK in some spots and bad in others. A replacement level player, but certainly not one I get worked up over (like some of the guys coming up now).

Erik Gudbranson - C-
I’ll try to be fair in that I don’t think he’s been as bad as previous seasons. In fact lately, I think he’s actually been solid. I still think he’s overrated, overpaid and he doesn’t play the role of cop on this team nearly enough - although I liked him going at Bennett last night for his attempted knee on Pettersson.

Michael Del Zotto - D+
While not a great defender, he had some OK stretches this year and is yet another player who deserves to be in the lineup over Pouliot.

Derrick Pouliot - F
I am utterly mystified as to how Pouliot stays in the lineup, especially with a quality defender like Biega being readily available. Once in a while will make a solid play, but then confounds you by making thirty six consecutive bad plays.

Tim Schaller - F
Just a brutal acquisition. Got far more opportunity than I felt he deserved (I did a double take when I saw he’s appeared in 29 games this year. I legitimately don’t remember that). Just invisible.

INC - Josh Leivo, Sven Baertschi, Brandon Sutter. Each of these guys has been pretty solid in limited action, IMO.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
This is a pretty fair report card, well done.

Simply nitpicking would put Goldie a little higher (B) based on point production and Eriksson an F based on him being useless, have no idea why he is on our 2nd line.

Couldn’t agree more on Pouliot, is there literally no rookie who we can bring in that will actually learn while making the same mistakes Pouliot makes nightly? Literally almost anyone at this point.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Nice Job @Mr. Canucklehead

you are more generous than I

A = Horvat Pettersson
B+ = Edler Hutton
B = Roussel Motte
C+ = Boeser Tanev Markstrom Virtanen Beagle
C = Stecher Goldobin Leivo Nilsson Biega
C- = Gudbranson Granlund Eriksson Gaudette Del Zotto
D = Pouliot Schaller
I = Baertschi Sutter

Last edited:

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
A+ - Elite Pete
B+ - Bo Horvat, Brock Boeser
B - Alex Edler, Antoine Rousell
B- - Jay Beagle, Nikolay Goldobin, Chris Tanev
C+ - Ben Hutton, Jake Virtanen,Jacob Markstrom
C - Tyler Motte, Adam Gaudette, Alex Biega, Troy Stecher, Nilsson
C- - Loui Eriksson, Markus Granlund,
D - Pouliot, Gudbranson, Schaller,

VIPettersson

Apr 9, 2018
I agree with most, disagree with your assessment of Biega. On a good D he would be in the AHL. His compete doesn't make up for his lack of skill, size, and overall ability.

Reactions: Literally

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
A little mix of relative and absolute performance and value in expected role.

A+ .. 40
A .. 23
A- .. 53
B+..
B .. 6, 26
B- .. 8, 83, 25 (20)
C+ .. 64, 27, 18, (47)
C .. 21, 44, 77, (17)
C- .. 51, 60, 5, 55, 88, 31
D .. 4, 59

Reactions: VIPettersson

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Great report card Mr Canucklehead...I think everybody you've listed is in the ballpark of where they should be...Beagle and Roussel getting "B's" is a fair assessment, their impact on the team cannot be understated.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Nicely done. disagree slightly on a few.

1- Horvat and Pettersson at A+. Peterson should be A++++++++. Horvat has been great but ...

2 - Troy Stecher - B - been fairly steady.

3 - Markstom gets a B ... good but way too many first shot goals.

4. - Pouliot - can't understand the hate. issues, but cost us nothing, and makes some nice passes. Instead of F I give a D.

5 - Gudbranson - this is petty, but not bad. Gets a c or maybe even a C+

6 - Leivo ... Gets at least a C+. doing his job. What a break for him to get to play with our best prospect in history, but he's doing fine.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Antoine Roussel - B
It’s like we’ve got prime Jannik Hansen back on this team, but even more annoying. One of the hardest working guys night in and night out. I’ve been very happy with him.

Also wanted to highlight this as well. Not that I necessarily disagree with this grade, but Roussel deserves a special shout-out. He's been way better than anyone could have possibly imagined when we signed him. He's putting up borderline 2nd line ES production being given 3rd line minutes while taking on a large percentage of d-zone starts against opposition top lines.

One of the better signings of the off-season thus far.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Relative to expectations

A- EP, Bo, Edler
B-Markstrom, Tanev, Boeser, Hutton, Goldobin, Biega, Virtanen
C- Roussel, Stecher, Gudbranson, Levio
D- Eriksson, Motte
F- Schaller, MDZ, Pouliot

Sutter/Baertschi/Beagle get incompletes from me

Reactions: WestCoast CyberG

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Full marks to EP and Horvat.

I think Goldobin, Virtanen, Hutton (and after the recent turnaround) Markstrom deserves high grades for establishing themselves. So far they bought themselves another year to play out their "potential."

Edler, Tanev, Roussel, Sutter, and even the injured Baertschi should receive solid grades being themselves. Slightly behind them is Motte who has done pretty well for himself since earning a spot out of training camp and Stecher, whom I think is having a solid season but is being underrated by Green.

Just below are guys like Eriksson (who has had a slight turnaround) and Granlund, Stecher and Gudbranson.

Below average is Nilsson.

Failing grade belongs to Del Zotto, Schaller, and Pouliot.

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
Relative to expectations

A- EP, Bo, Edler
B-Markstrom, Tanev, Boeser, Hutton, Goldobin, Biega, Virtanen
C- Roussel, Stecher, Gudbranson, Levio
D- Eriksson, Motte
F- Schaller, MDZ, Pouliot

Sutter/Baertschi/Beagle get incompletes from me
Motte gets a D "relative to expectations"? What exactly were you expecting? I think he has been a solid C+ if you remove expectations entirely and higher if you actually factor in expectations properly. 77 is a C at best regardless of which approach is used.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Motte gets a D "relative to expectations"? What exactly were you expecting? I think he has been a solid C+ if you remove expectations entirely and higher if you actually factor in expectations properly. 77 is a C at best regardless of which approach is used.

You know I was thinking about that and I guess a C makes more sense considering most saw him not making the team. I see him as a fringe NHLer and not worth anything despite his hustle. I think generally he’s getting horribly overplayed by Green.

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
Fair enough. I actually think he is better than that, and could find a role on most teams albeit a small one only on the better teams. Green took him off the PK in favour of Granlund, despite Granlund stinking at the job, so I am not sure how high he actually ranks on the pet list. Time will tell.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You know I was thinking about that and I guess a C makes more sense considering most saw him not making the team. I see him as a fringe NHLer and not worth anything despite his hustle. I think generally he’s getting horribly overplayed by Green.

Horribly overplayed by Green? The only players who averaged less minutes than Motte are Leipsic, Schaller, and Gaudette (Gaunce, Archibald, and Boucher too but they don't really count). He is averaging more EV minutes than Beagle though. Other than that, Motte has been used defensively and on the PK. Maybe he should play less on the PK in favour of Eriksson like last game?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Horribly overplayed by Green? The only players who averaged less minutes than Motte are Leipsic, Schaller, and Gaudette (Gaunce, Archibald, and Boucher too but they don't really count). He is averaging more EV minutes than Beagle though. Other than that, Motte has been used defensively and on the PK. Maybe he should play less on the PK in favour of Eriksson like last game?
Green has transitioned to using only 2 units recently...

83-60
21-26

64 will still get looks on extended PK’s or those in quick sucession... but no longer a regular.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Mostly agree with the OP. My take, relative to cap hit and role :

- Pettersson - A+
Pretty self-explanatory. Will cakewalk to the Calder if he doesn’t get hurt. The offensive engine of the team, has completely changed our dynamic.

- Horvat - A
Would be an A+ for the last 2 months since Sutter’s injury but his October was only average. Has taken a stunning step forward as a two-way stud.

- Tanev - B+
Brilliant in October and December, struggled while carrying an injury in November.

- Markstrom - B+
Was better than his numbers early and has looked like an All-Star in December.

- Hutton - B+
Has turned his career around and been generally excellent as our #3 defender. Should be playing top-unit PP minutes. A shame he’s chained to Gudbranson so much.

- Edler - B
Has been good at ES but was injured for a long stretch and is still brutal on the PP.

- Roussel - B
Don’t love some of his antics but he’s earned his contract this year at least and is on pace for 30+ points at ES.

- Virtanen - B
Has been extremely inconsistent with his effort levels but much more good than bad and is now an established mid-roster player. On pace for 20 goals but a huge percentage were flukes or EN goals and I dunno how sustainable that production is.

Biega - B
Keeps outplaying the guys ahead of him, keeps getting stupidly scratched.

- Boeser - B-
Has produced but is really riding Pettersson’s coattails. Has not been as good as his production and his three-zone game and defensive engagement is very lacking.

- Stecher - B-
Has done an effective job in 3rd pairing minutes but not really taken a step forward up the roster. Has been better than last year ... but is also on a new contract paying him more than double what he was making.

Goldobin - C+
On one hand, 5 goals from top-6 minutes. On the other hand, has been useful as a linemate who can at least keep up with Pettersson and not drag him down. Lots of 2nd assists but on pace for 40 points. Defensively poor but better.

- Motte - C+
Has done a good job on the PK, has been good recently, and is cheap. Was also horrible for most of October and November.

- Beagle - C+
Would have a higher grade if he was making $1.5 million but can’t give a higher grade than this for being a good no-offence #4 center at his salary.

- Eriksson - C-
Contract continues to be gross but is at least playable as a top-9 winger who can do some defensive lifting.

Nilsson - C
Streaky, has overpaid backup.

- Del Zotto - C-
I actually didn’t think he was too bad in November-December but has been healthy-scratched after 2 dumb penalties to cost the team games.

- Pouliot - D
Has been better defensively but will never be good on that front. Offensive defender on pace for 12 points from sheltered minutes while playing nearly half the games so far on the top PP unit.

- Gudbranson - F
Won a fight on opening night. Has been an AHL level defender bleeding goals since.

Granlund - F
Has 5 roles with this team 1) provide depth offence 2) provide bottom-6 defensive utility 3) PK 4) 2nd unit PP 5) provide effective depth cover at center. Has been horrific at all 5. Not an NHL-caliber player.

Schaller - F
He sucks.

Baertschi and Sutter - I
Have been out for ages and I missed several of the games they did play.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
The overall grade so far are A’s down the middle, passing grades for wingers (mostly) and HALF our regular defence gets a failing grade of D or F.

So far the best signing in the summer was Ian Clark and we need more than Q.Highes to fix our backend.

Var

Nov 10, 2007
I like your rankings. My rankings are a touch higher. Mainly because year on year, we're almost always seeing improvements in individuals. IE. Virtanen at B+. Also, the team in general is improved and high rankings reflect that.

A+ Horvat and Pettersson. The prospect of either of these guys being anything less is mind boggling. Both are phenomenal in very different ways.

A Edler, God he's good. When he came back, we had a completely different team. Likewise Beagle.

A- Boeser and Markstrom. Say what you want about Boeser being slow, the man's putting pucks in the net. Markstrom's 6th in the league in wins and punching way above where we'd expect him.

B+ Tanev, Beagle, Virtanen. Tanev is the ice man. I forget sometimes he's only 29. What a great guy to have on the team. Beagle is huge in the D zone. Whether it's face offs or board battles, that fourth lines been getting more and more minutes and he's a big reason for it. He's a near A-. Virtanen's having a great season so far with big strides over last season - both in terms of pucks in the net and hands in people's faces. Fourth in scoring with 11 (Fifth is Erikson with 7).

B Roussel, Stecher, Motte, Biega. These four are solid contributors on the ice. All three are good for the same reasons too - hardworking, good defensively, and reliable. All of them have improved quite a bit since last year. Biega might not be quite as consistent but he's still a pleasant surprise from where he was. Leivo also deserves a B as well. Looks good in all situations. Exceeding expectations. Need to see more of his games.

C+ Nilsson, Granlund, Goldobin, Hutton. As far as backups go, I like having Nilsson there. Sometimes I wonder what we really have in him after seeing some of his stellar performances. .900 percentage for a backup isn't that bad. Now if only we could score in front of him... Granlund (expectations aside) has quietly had a decent start. I don't hate him out there and with any luck there's more to come from him. Goldobin judged purely on how he's improved is much higher. Still has to play with more jam but that might even be slowly improving as well. Hutton's been great, especially his passes. Needs to be better without the puck.

C Erikson, Gudbranson, Gaudette. Erikson and Guddy are two guys that people rip on a fair bit who both really aren't that bad. Contracts and expectations aside, both get the "satisfactory". Gaudette's had flashes. Great to see the jump up. Good in moments and not in others.

Not on the list means improvement's needed.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Nice Job @Mr. Canucklehead

you are more generous than I

A = Horvat Pettersson
B+ = Edler Hutton
B = Roussel Motte
C+ = Boeser Tanev Markstrom Virtanen Beagle
C = Stecher Goldobin Leivo Nilsson Biega
C- = Gudbranson Granlund Eriksson Gaudette Del Zotto
D = Pouliot Schaller
I = Baertschi Sutter

Great work by the OP but it has a bit of a homer element and if one looked at the report cards one would think this was a solid playoff team.

I like this list a more more as it reflects the results of the team a little more accurately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad