Mid-Season Report Cards

Var

Nov 10, 2007
Great work by the OP but it has a bit of a homer element and if one looked at the report cards one would think this was a solid playoff team.

I like this list a more more as it reflects the results of the team a little more accurately.

If you're not factoring in improvement, then sure, there's a lot to be down about.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Great work by the OP but it has a bit of a homer element and if one looked at the report cards one would think this was a solid playoff team.
Agreed.

I think I had 12 above a C and 12 below a C+...-

A little mix of relative and absolute performance and value in expected role.

A+ .. 40
A .. 23
A- .. 53
B+..
B .. 6, 26
B- .. 8, 83, 25 (20)
C+ .. 64, 27, 18, (47)
C .. 21, 44, 77, (17)
C- .. 51, 60, 5, 55, 88, 31
D .. 4, 59

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If you're not factoring in improvement, then sure, there's a lot to be down about.

The team is 19-19-4 and 10 players have a B- or above, 5 others have a C+.

Don't you think that's a little generous given the team results?

Like I said the order was pretty bang on and it was a great description for the most part, just a little higher individually than the team results warrant IMO.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Var

Nov 10, 2007

Like I said the order was pretty bang on and it was a great description for the most part, just a little higher individually than the team results warrant IMO.

Honestly, good question. But let's take a look at what we could've had.

Pettersson could've been a non impact player due to his size. Bo Horvat could've been a moderately productive checking center. Boeser could've been a flash in the pan. Markstrom could've simply not worked out or not been a part of the solution (as it was said many times). Edler should be retiring. Goldobin, Hutton, Stecher, and Virtanen - they're lucky they're not in Utica. And the rest - Beagle, Granlund, Roussel, Biega, might be scoffed at as filler. The Canucks were in everyone's basement projections at the start of the year - likely having many of the same player predictions.

Yet almost every one of these guys is literally improving right in front of us.

Now to be clear, if you're not interested in player improvement, then all you need to know is 19-19-4 and I can appreciate that. But I like the trajectories and player improvement is a big factor in how I'm rating them.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018

It’s not generous when you factor in the key injuries we had (Edler, Boeser, Sutter, etc...) as well as the hard travel schedule to start the year.

There are more factors than just how each individual player has performed.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It’s not generous when you factor in the key injuries we had (Edler, Boeser, Sutter, etc...) as well as the hard travel schedule to start the year.

There are more factors than just how each individual player has performed.

Every team has had injuries and travel is always a factor for west coast teams, maybe less so than before with 4 additional teams in the PST zone than before the early 90's, although vegas might be mountain time too lazy to look it up.

Put another way, the Oilers also have had injuries and are basically on par as far as team records go but you wouldn't see 10 players with a B- or above on them and rightly so.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

As you said, the grades would have you think this is a playoff team. At the halfway point, the Canucks are still in the playoff race, and I think the grades match accordingly.

The second half usually separates the men from the boys or the pretenders from the contenders, but for the first half of the season, I’d stand by those grades.

I also feel that if our defensive unit was stronger (ie - replacing Gudbranson and Pouliot with actual competent NHL defenders), that this actually would be a playoff team. That’s just my opinion, though.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
As you said, the grades would have you think this is a playoff team. At the halfway point, the Canucks are still in the playoff race, and I think the grades match accordingly.

The second half usually separates the men from the boys or the pretenders from the contenders, but for the first half of the season, I’d stand by those grades.

I also feel that if our defensive unit was stronger (ie - replacing Gudbranson and Pouliot with actual competent NHL defenders), that this actually would be a playoff team. That’s just my opinion, though.

Fair enough I liked your effort I'm just more of a fan of report cards adding up to the team record, which I admit is a very hard thing to do sometimes.

My Oiler example is a prime case in point.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
A+
Elias Pettersson
- What else can you say about this kid that hasn’t already been said? He’s a franchise-changing talent, the kind we’ve had to watch other teams fall into for years on end, and he’s ours. Just a special player that consistently makes his linemates better and will be the game breaker on this team for years to come.

A
Bo Horvat
- If EP is the brains of this team, Bo is the heart and soul. Bleeds team colours and is the obvious choice to succeed Hank as captain. He’s had to take on a massive amount of defensive responsibility with all the injuries, and he’s nearly put up a PPG to boot. Fantastic season so far.

A-
Alex Edler
- The longest-tenured member of the team. He still makes the occasional boneheaded drop pass, but Edler is the team’s clear best all-around defenceman. He’s picked up a bit of his old physical game this season as well. Should fetch a bundle at the deadline if traded, but I wager he’s here to stay for the rest of his career.

A-
Chris Tanev
- Another excellent season to this point for ol’ Gaptooth. He’s managed to stay relatively healthy for his standards and there’s an obvious void in the lineup when he’s not in it. Doesn’t put up a huge amount of points but that’s not his game.

B+
Brock Boeser
- Despite the injury troubles, he’s had a nice season to this point. Clearly not the A+ player we saw last season, however, as he has lost a step and is also playing with the best rookie in the NHL. Brock is still one of the best players on the team and should be a perennial 30-35 goal scorer for most of his career.

B+
Jacob Markstrom
- He has made up for his questionable first two months with a sparkling month of December. Looks like the clear-cut starter and should be for the next few seasons until Demko and DiPietro are ready to challenge. His main challenge will be to overcome the bad goals from obscure angles that he still finds ways to let by him.

B
Ben Hutton
- Coming off a terrible year where he was publicly criticized by Green, he’s rebounded well and has cemented himself as a top 4 defenceman. Moves the puck well and has an underrated physical game.

B
Troy Stecher
- One of the hardest working players in the organization. Never quits on corner battles against players twice his size. He’s been a great pickup for nothing more than cap space and we’re lucky to have him at a low cap hit.

B
Alex Biega
- Not a lot of skill, but like Stecher he is an absolute workhorse. Can throw his weight around and move the puck well. I don’t see him progressing much further as he’s already almost 30, but he’s done well for himself to get to this point.

B
Jake Virtanen
- Considering he was nearly labeled a bust after his horrendous 2016 season not long ago, Shotgun Jake has turned things around and is now a key member of the bottom six forwards. He still floats sometimes and doesn’t hit nearly as much as he should, but his offensive game has taken several steps forward. Has a shot at a 20 goal season, which would be a big accomplishment for him.

B-
Antoine Roussel
- This guy must be such a pain in the ass to play against. Always stirring the pot and is a pretty good fighter when called upon. He’s slightly overpaid, but he’s been a good addition so far. Needs to toe the line a bit more when the game is tight and time is running out.

B-
Tyler Motte
- He was thought of as a nothing player that came over in the Vanek trade and would basically fill a seat for a year or so, but he’s really carved himself a role as a penalty killer. Very hard working and has been able to chip in offensively as well. Will be interesting to see where he fits in long term.

C+
Nikolai Goldobin
- Offensively, he’s had some flashy moments that raise eyebrows. Defensively, he’s had some awful moments that...raise eyebrows. But he gets a bit of a pass for managing to establish himself as a regular in the lineup and put up some numbers. Needs to work on his overall game to be anything more than a 40 point tweener.

C+
Adam Gaudette
- You can see the talent and his celly game is off the charts, but he has work to do in the AHL before he’ll be back full-time. Played well enough in his first stint.

C+
Jay Beagle
- He’s overpaid and no spring chicken, but he’s also allowed Horvat to flourish offensively by taking a lot of the defensive load when he’s been in the lineup. Also has a surprising amount of grit to his game.

C
Markus Granlund
- Been a bit of a liability at times but does his job fairly well. He isn’t going to give you consistency on either end of the ice long term, but he’s a fairly reliable 4th liner.

C
Erik Gudbranson
- Considering he looked like complete trash last season, Guddy has turned things around somewhat. He’s still error prone and doesn’t do as much policing as he thinks he does, but he’s improved from his first two injury-plagued seasons. Team worst -13 is no bueno, though.

C-
Loui Eriksson
- The $6 Million Man is now halfway through his contract, and what you see is what you get. 7 goals at the midway point and a -8 isn’t worth a whole lot. But he’s at least a good influence on Pettersson and the rest of his teammates don’t seem to mind him.

C-
Anders Nilsson
- Started off fairly well but he’s fallen off a cliff lately. Just no confidence in his game right now, bad goals are coming aplenty and his rebound control is terrible. He’s a backup goalie at best and should not be splitting the starting role.

D
Michael Del Zotto
- Awful season for him. Takes boneheaded penalties, can’t score to save his life despite being set up with Grade A chances, slow-footed, poor decision-making...he’s not a full-time NHLer.

F
Tim Schaller
- 0 goals in 29 games. I have no idea what he’s doing here or how he managed to get that contract, but here we are.

F
Derrick Pouliot
- I could rant until the cows come home. One of the worst players in the entire NHL. Constantly out of position and turns the puck over at least three times a game. Coasted off his draft position for too long and he’s finally run out of rope. Not a full-time NHLer.

INC - Sven Baertschi, Brandon Sutter, Josh Leivo, Darren Archibald, Brendan Gaunce, Sam Gagner

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
A+
Elias Pettersson
- What else can you say about this kid that hasn’t already been said? He’s a franchise-changing talent, the kind we’ve had to watch other teams fall into for years on end, and he’s ours. Just a special player that consistently makes his linemates better and will be the game breaker on this team for years to come.

A
Bo Horvat
- If EP is the brains of this team, Bo is the heart and soul. Bleeds team colours and is the obvious choice to succeed Hank as captain. He’s had to take on a massive amount of defensive responsibility with all the injuries, and he’s nearly put up a PPG to boot. Fantastic season so far.

A-
Alex Edler
- The longest-tenured member of the team. He still makes the occasional boneheaded drop pass, but Edler is the team’s clear best all-around defenceman. He’s picked up a bit of his old physical game this season as well. Should fetch a bundle at the deadline if traded, but I wager he’s here to stay for the rest of his career.

A-
Chris Tanev
- Another excellent season to this point for ol’ Gaptooth. He’s managed to stay relatively healthy for his standards and there’s an obvious void in the lineup when he’s not in it. Doesn’t put up a huge amount of points but that’s not his game.

B+
Brock Boeser
- Despite the injury troubles, he’s had a nice season to this point. Clearly not the A+ player we saw last season, however, as he has lost a step and is also playing with the best rookie in the NHL. Brock is still one of the best players on the team and should be a perennial 30-35 goal scorer for most of his career.

B+
Jacob Markstrom
- He has made up for his questionable first two months with a sparkling month of December. Looks like the clear-cut starter and should be for the next few seasons until Demko and DiPietro are ready to challenge. His main challenge will be to overcome the bad goals from obscure angles that he still finds ways to let by him.

B
Ben Hutton
- Coming off a terrible year where he was publicly criticized by Green, he’s rebounded well and has cemented himself as a top 4 defenceman. Moves the puck well and has an underrated physical game.

B
Troy Stecher
- One of the hardest working players in the organization. Never quits on corner battles against players twice his size. He’s been a great pickup for nothing more than cap space and we’re lucky to have him at a low cap hit.

B
Alex Biega
- Not a lot of skill, but like Stecher he is an absolute workhorse. Can throw his weight around and move the puck well. I don’t see him progressing much further as he’s already almost 30, but he’s done well for himself to get to this point.

B
Jake Virtanen
- Considering he was nearly labeled a bust after his horrendous 2016 season not long ago, Shotgun Jake has turned things around and is now a key member of the bottom six forwards. He still floats sometimes and doesn’t hit nearly as much as he should, but his offensive game has taken several steps forward. Has a shot at a 20 goal season, which would be a big accomplishment for him.

B-
Antoine Roussel
- This guy must be such a pain in the ass to play against. Always stirring the pot and is a pretty good fighter when he needed. He’s slightly overpaid, but he’s been a good addition so far. Needs to toe the line a bit more when the game is tight and time is running out.

B-
Tyler Motte
- He was thought of as a nothing player that came over in the Vanek trade and would basically fill a seat for a year or so, but he’s really carved himself a role as a penalty killer. Very hard working and has been able to chip in offensively as well. Will be interesting to see where he fits in long term.

C+
Nikolai Goldobin
- Offensively, he’s had some flashy moments that raise eyebrows. Defensively, he’s had some awful moments that...raise eyebrows. But he gets a bit of a pass for managing to establish himself as a regular in the lineup and put up some numbers. Needs to work on his overall game to be anything more than a 40 point tweener.

C+
Adam Gaudette
- You can see the talent and his celly game is off the charts, but he has work to do in the AHL before he’ll be back full-time. Played well enough in his first stint.

C+
Jay Beagle
- He’s overpaid and no spring chicken, but he’s also allowed Horvat to flourish offensively by taking a lot of the defensive load when he’s been in the lineup. Also has a surprising amount of grit to his game.

C
Markus Granlund
- Been a bit of a liability at times but does his job fairly well. He isn’t going to give you consistency on either end of the ice long term, but he’s a fairly reliable 4th liner.

C
Erik Gudbranson
- Considering he looked like complete trash last season, Guddy has turned things around somewhat. He’s still error prone and doesn’t do as much policing as he thinks he does, but he’s improved from his first two injury-plagued seasons. Team worst -13 is no bueno, though.

C-
Loui Eriksson
- The $6 Million Man is now halfway through his contract, and what you see is what you get. 7 goals at the midway point and a -8 isn’t worth a whole lot. But he’s at least a good influence on Pettersson and the rest of his teammates don’t seem to mind him.

C-
Anders Nilsson
- Started off fairly well but he’s fallen off a cliff lately. Just no confidence in his game right now, bad goals are coming aplenty and his rebound control is terrible. He’s a backup goalie at best and should not be splitting the starting role.

D
Michael Del Zotto
- Awful season for him. Takes boneheaded penalties, can’t score to save his life despite being set up with Grade A chances, slow-footed, poor decision-making...he’s not a full-time NHLer.

F
Tim Schaller
- 0 goals in 29 games. I have no idea what he’s doing here or how he managed to get that contract, but here we are.

F
Derrick Pouliot
- I could rant until the cows come home. One of the worst players in the entire NHL. Constantly out of position and turns the puck over at least three times a game. Coasted off his draft position for too long and he’s finally run out of rope. Not a full-time NHLer.

INC - Sven Baertschi, Brandon Sutter, Josh Leivo, Darren Archibald, Brendan Gaunce, Sam Gagner
Good analysis...the only one I might argue is Troy Stecher..He's a guy that borders on exceptional, to liability...not consistent....What is he..a #5 or#6..?

Last edited:

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Overall, team gets a B+. We expected less but the team is competitive, exciting and fun to watch. Would give coaching staff the same grade.

A+
EP - what else can be said. We might be looking at the best Canuck of all time.

A
Horvat. Taken his game to a new level. Give him the C.
Edler - turned back the clock 4-5 years. Playing with confidence offensively.
Tanev - stalwart most nights. Playing the toughest minutes.

B+
Markstrom - I knew he was a top 20 starter and right now he's even better than that.
Boeser - he's been near PPG after some health issues. Not much more you can ask of him other than hope he stays healthy and continues to improve.

B
Roussel - pretty solid journeyman
Virtanen - contributing offensively but still a work in progress
Hutton - really impressed, has been engaged and taken the next step to develop into a reliable top 4 guy

B-
Stecher - would like see more offensive contribution, but the effort level and engagement is there every night. Would hate to see him get squeezed off the roster but at worst he should be a go-to on our bottom pairing.
Goldobin - has improved but still not a top 6 player on a contender. Just doesn't bring it enough and
Baertschi - see Goldobin. Obviously Sven has established himself but he's too soft and injury prone to last IMO.
Gaudette - playing hard and chipping in occassionally. Work in progress
Biega - as expected, effort is always there
Motte - better than hoped

C+
Sutter - was contributing defensively as expected
Beagle - as above
Granlund - Meh some nights, but makes decent plays and has good positioning
Gudbranson - could be worse but he's playing like a decent bottom pairing guy most nights and is playing tough more often which does make a difference to the team's psyche.
Leivo - too early to get a handle on him but I don't see him as a core piece

C
Erikkson - yeah he's reliable defensively but what a POS. "Meh" is the best you can hope for.

D
Pouliot - he's gone next year so it's not a big deal but he isn't more than a bubble player
Nilsson - I'm sure he hoped to play more

F
Schaller
Del Zotto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->