Microsoft Xbox Discussion - It is my nature

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I like that one. But I think this is the best... :)

My fav video game trailer of all time...:handclap:

Pretty much bought the game and got hooked on the series because of this video. On a side note picked up the Elite controller on Amazon for $120.00 last week. Love it. Using two paddles to supplement certain buttons customized for different games. Don't ever have to take my hands off the sticks which is very helpful for multiplayer.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
My fav video game trailer of all time...:handclap:

Pretty much bought the game and got hooked on the series because of this video. On a side note picked up the Elite controller on Amazon for $120.00 last week. Love it. Using two paddles to supplement certain buttons customized for different games. Don't ever have to take my hands off the sticks which is very helpful for multiplayer.

I love mine! However I don't always use the paddles anymore. I kept setting my controller down on my leg and it would click the paddle buttons lol. Since everything is magnetic I do usually click them in for *some* games. Usually racing games for manual shifting. Lots of joy basically paddle-shifting on a controller.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
The paddles take some getting used to, I changed them to the small ones higher on the controller. I would actually prefer smaller ones but just adjusted my grip. If you set it down on an uneven surface you can knock them off. They are so easy to take off and on. I can't handle all four as I would constantly hit them. Easy way would be to start new games with them, changing that finger memory is difficult lol.

Looking forward to Forza with them. I love the weight of it too.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I use 3 paddles currently. Not sure I need 4, but will see where my gaming takes me.

They supplement different things by game, but the common theme is providing me the ability to do multiple inputs at once without taking my thumbs off the sticks or losing my positioning in a game. Like jumping, hovering, directionally aiming and firing all at once.

Jumping up from 2 took some brain re-wiring.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
^ yeah for Gears I use two for x and a as I already have the tourney set up from the Gears menu. Now I am able to pick up weapons, ammo or people and turn around at the same time. I am also able to use the tac com without losing to ability to turn around.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
^ yeah for Gears I use two for x and a as I already have the tourney set up from the Gears menu. Now I am able to pick up weapons, ammo or people and turn around at the same time. I am also able to use the tac com without losing to ability to turn around.

You can literally do all that with a standard controller unless I read it wrong

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
You can literally do all that with a standard controller unless I read it wrong

NO you can't I'm using the underneath paddles for X and A. I don't need to touch the buttons at all when normally you need to hold X to pick up and can't touch the right stick. On the tourney setting X is ammo pick up and A is tac com but you can assign them to the underneath paddles. While true you can change your layout of any controller, don't have the four extra paddles underneath. Also the Elite allows you a quick select of two profiles plus you can save dozens more for multiple games. Not to mention the hair triggers.

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
NO you can't I'm using the underneath paddles for X and A. I don't need to touch the buttons at all when normally you need to hold X to pick up and can't touch the right stick. On the tourney setting X is ammo pick up and A is tac com but you can assign them to the underneath paddles. While true you can change your layout of any controller, don't have the four extra paddles underneath. Also the Elite allows you a quick select of two profiles plus you can save dozens more for multiple games. Not to mention the hair triggers.

Oh ok I get what your saying. i play claw so I can hold x and move my joystick :laugh:

I don't get how people can play on different control schemes though. I've been using the default since gears 1. Just too weird if I change it

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Oh ok I get what your saying. i play claw so I can hold x and move my joystick :laugh:

I don't get how people can play on different control schemes though. I've been using the default since gears 1. Just too weird if I change it

Tourney has LB as your run/roll/grab cover. That's how people bounce around so fast because they can pick their next wall while they are sliding or cancel. In a fight your not taking your hands of the two sticks.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Tourney has LB as your run/roll/grab cover. That's how people bounce around so fast because they can pick their next wall while they are sliding or cancel. In a fight your not taking your hands of the two sticks.

You can't really bounce too fast in this game. And when I tried alternate/tourney controls on gears 3 and 4 the bounce was all messed up for me. Had to go to the same wall twice before I could go to another one

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
The key to the elite controller for me is in multiplayer situations where you need to do a combo of 3+ inputs simultaneously to remain competitive.

If your thumbs are both on the sticks, your index fingers on the triggers, how are you going to execute a bumper and/or button press or d-pad click? It's just not feasible in situations where you're aiming like a FPS in real-time. So the paddles are brilliant to execute reloads, crouches/slides/hovers, special abilities, etc.

I even used it in Mass Effect to pull up the scanner quickly.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
You can't really bounce too fast in this game. And when I tried alternate/tourney controls on gears 3 and 4 the bounce was all messed up for me. Had to go to the same wall twice before I could go to another one

What? Have you played multiplayer? If you send me your Xbox gamer tag I can show you or help you out with getting better at it. Also it helps if you turn your look sensitivity up. Part of bouncing in some cases is cancelling right before you hit the wall/cover and sliding to another. The tourney settings took me a while to get used to. I started using them in Ultimate Edition.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
What? Have you played multiplayer? If you send me your Xbox gamer tag I can show you or help you out with getting better at it. Also it helps if you turn your look sensitivity up. Part of bouncing in some cases is cancelling right before you hit the wall/cover and sliding to another. The tourney settings took me a while to get used to. I started using them in Ultimate Edition.

The bounce is slow compared to gears 3. All you have to do is YouTube search videos on it. They added a cap.

I'm not saying it's super slow or anything. It's still pretty good but you mostly use it to get out of situations rather then in them

Last edited:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
The bounce is slow compared to gears 3. All you have to do is YouTube search videos on it. They added a cap.

I'm not saying it's super slow or anything. It's still pretty good but you mostly use it to get out of situations rather then in them

They have adjusted some things in the 2.2 playlist which will be added to competitive. Nothing has changed for Core.... yet. Currently it is no different than 3 for me.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
They have adjusted some things in the 2.2 playlist which will be added to competitive. Nothing has changed for Core.... yet. Currently it is no different than 3 for me.

It's on 2.3 now which just makes the shotgun range even shorter. I think 2.1 was the one where they removed the cap (or increased it) and it was perfect (almost everybody liked it so of course they got rid of it). I think they said they won't even touch core anymore

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I'm looking to get a new Xbox since I haven't had one personally for about 2 years and am missing playing these days. To be honest I'm really looking to only play FIFA and the new Call of Duty online and utilize some of the other apps (Netflix, HBO Go, etc.) on a non-smart TV.

From what I understand the Xbox One X is coming out later in the fall, but not sure if that would be something that I would need and would it be beneficial to hold off on getting an S until the release? I appreciate any advice, thanks in advance!

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I'm looking to get a new Xbox since I haven't had one personally for about 2 years and am missing playing these days. To be honest I'm really looking to only play FIFA and the new Call of Duty online and utilize some of the other apps (Netflix, HBO Go, etc.) on a non-smart TV.

From what I understand the Xbox One X is coming out later in the fall, but not sure if that would be something that I would need and would it be beneficial to hold off on getting an S until the release? I appreciate any advice, thanks in advance!
To me, unless you are a gamer to the core (which it doesn't sound like you are) OR have a 4K tv with HDR then there is no reason to get the X.

If you just want to play some games you wont have a bad experience with the S at all.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
To me, unless you are a gamer to the core (which it doesn't sound like you are) OR have a 4K tv with HDR then there is no reason to get the X.

If you just want to play some games you wont have a bad experience with the S at all.

Thanks, I kinda figured. I'm assuming the prices of S's have already declined in anticipation of the X's release? Also, what (if any) was the forecast on the next generation, as I don't think it would be worth it if it was in a year from now?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Thanks, I kinda figured. I'm assuming the prices of S's have already declined in anticipation of the X's release? Also, what (if any) was the forecast on the next generation, as I don't think it would be worth it if it was in a year from now?

I honestly cannot say if there will be a "true" next gen of consoles. They are kind of just evolving now. PS4, PS4 Pro... They may come out with a PS5 soon but expectations are that it will be on par with the Xbox One X which Microsoft is not considering a next gen console compared to the plain old Xbox One.

The companies may go different directions and I think that was Microsofts plan all along. To make an Xbox One and just evolve it. They have really shyed away from putting numbers on their consoles like Sony has continued to do. Even Nintendo never did it. They just made better consoles.

I would say the "next generation" will be when a console comes out that has games the previous ones cannot play. For instance if there were to be games on the XOX that cannot be played on the S or the original XO then that console would be considered a new generation.

I am sure at some point devs will want to make games for just one console and not 3 different ones, some with 4k, some with 4k HDR, some that will use all the processing of the xbox one x but wouldn't work on earlier versions... etc.

Long story short... nothing is imminent on the next generation of consoles. Everything is just evolving right now.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

For your use case, I recommend the One S. It's almost half the price and, frankly, a really good deal for what you get.

The One X is mostly for people who want the better 4K experience. Hopefully it gives better frame rates as well, although judging from Phil Spencer's reaction to the questioning at E3 I wouldn't say it's a guarantee by any means.

Since the One X is a bit of a niche product, I doubt the One S drops in price. You may get Christmas deals soon, I suppose...

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
For your use case, I recommend the One S. It's almost half the price and, frankly, a really good deal for what you get.

The One X is mostly for people who want the better 4K experience. Hopefully it gives better frame rates as well, although judging from Phil Spencer's reaction to the questioning at E3 I wouldn't say it's a guarantee by any means.

Since the One X is a bit of a niche product, I doubt the One S drops in price. You may get Christmas deals soon, I suppose...
I really don't think it's going to be a niche product at all. It was the fastest selling Xbox to date on the preorders for the Project Scorpio edition.

Plus, remember last generation when the Xbox 360 just decimated the PS3 for years then the PS3 slowly caught up. I think people with an Xbox 360 wanted to play some PS3 games they missed out on. Could be the reverse happening this time around.

I think the Xbox will outsell the PS4 this coming year. They REALLY need to get some exclusives going though if they want to come close to total sale numbers.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I really don't think it's going to be a niche product at all. It was the fastest selling Xbox to date on the preorders for the Project Scorpio edition.

Plus, remember last generation when the Xbox 360 just decimated the PS3 for years then the PS3 slowly caught up. I think people with an Xbox 360 wanted to play some PS3 games they missed out on. Could be the reverse happening this time around.

I think the Xbox will outsell the PS4 this coming year. They REALLY need to get some exclusives going though if they want to come close to total sale numbers.

By "niche" I mean it's an expensive product for people that are willing to pay extra for all the 4Ks and the supersamplings.

The One S is the "mainstream" Xbox if that makes sense...AKA the one most buyers should and probably will get.

Microsoft just doesn't seem as willing as Sony to shell out the cash for exclusives. Personally, I wish exclusives weren't a thing, but in the console wars it's very likely they are hurting Xbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad