Michoulicious's top 50 NHL drafted prospects (July 2019)

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I told myself it would be unfair to criticize others in their attempts to make a top 50 NHL prospect list if I did not try to do it myself, so there it is! It is based, like for most people here, on my limited viewings of the players online and my incredible ability to statwatch on the interwebs… Enjoy!

1. Jack Hughes (NJ)
2. Kaapo Kakko (NYR)
3. Cale Makar (COL)
4. Alex Turcotte (LA)
5. Vitali Kravtsov (NYR)
6. Bowen Byram (COL)
7. Quinton Hughes (VAN)
8. Cody Glass (VEG)
9. Erik Brannstrom (OTT)
10. Kirill Kaprizov (MIN)
11. Noah Dobson (NYI)
12. Cole Caufield (MTL)
13. Evan Bouchard (EDM)
14. Adam Boqvist (CHI)
15. Martin Necas (CAR)
16. Kirby Dach (CHI)
17. Vasili Podkolzin (VAN)
18. Barret Hayton (ARI)
19. Ty Smith (NJ)
20. Trevor Zegras (ANA)
21. Juuso Valimaki (CGY)
22. Matthew Boldy (MIN)
23. Dylan Cozens (BUF)
24. Phillip Broberg (EDM)
25. Morgan Frost (PHI)
26. Filip Zadina (DET)
27. Peyton Krebs (VEG)
28. Alex Newhook (COL)
29. Igor Shestyorkin (NYR)
30. Nick Suzuki (MTL)
31. Cam York (PHI)
32. Drake Batherson (OTT)
33. Adam Fox (NYR)
34. K’Andre Miller (NYR)
35. Victor Soderstrom (ARI)
36. Jordan Kyrou (STL)
37. Grigori Denisenko (FLA)
38. Sam Steel (ANA)
39. Moritz Seider (DET)
40. Arthur Kaliyev (LA)
41. Spencer Knight (FLA)
42. Troy Terry (ANA)
43. Eeli Tolvanen (NSH)
44. Ryan Poeling (MTL)
45. Joe Veleno (DET)
46. Alexander Alexeyev (WSH)
47. Maxime Comtois (ANA)
48. Joel Farabee (PHI)
49. Jason Robertson (DAL)
50. Jake Bean (CAR)

Honorable mentions (in no particular order) : Josh Norris (OTT), Henri Jokiharju (BUF), Josh Brook (MTL), Owen Tippett (FLA), Cal Foote (TB), Alexander Romanov (MTL), Rasmus Kupari (LA), Rasmus Sandin (TOR).

I would also have placed Vilardi and Timmins for sure in the top 50 for talent alone, but injuries are too much of a concern in their cases.

First thing that strikes me after doing the exercise is how much I seem to like Philadelphia and Anaheim prospect pools (4 players in the top 50, only behing the NYR (5), which have the top pool by far IMO). It is helped by the fact a lot of their prospects have not graduated, but still. I always liked the way they drafted, especially in the mid-late first round. Gotta trust that amateur scouting staff, they know their stuff!

Other notables: COL (3, 2 of those in the top 10) LA (3), DET (3), MTL (3), FLA (3), OTT (3).

Feel free to tell me it sucks with all the hate I know your capable of, I welcome all comments!

Edit: I did put Frost twice, so I removed one and put Bean at #50.

Last edited:

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Still a touch 2019 happy but as @canucks20 said this is probably the best of the bunch so far.

Thanks! :)

IMO, most of those July lists put emphasis on the most recent draft because a lot of the top players from the precedent drafts have graduated and are now ineligible.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Thanks! :)

IMO, most of those July lists put emphasis on the most recent draft because a lot of the top players from the precedent drafts have graduated and are now ineligible.
Yeah I get that. Still feel Turcotte and Caufield are higher than they should be but it's no big deal.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Yeah I get that. Still feel Turcotte and Caufield are higher than they should be but it's no big deal.

Yeah, that was one of the criticisms I expected.

My top 5 this year was:

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Turcotte
4. Byram
5. Caufield

... a bit out of the "consensus", especially Caufield at #5, but I'm really high on Turcotte/Caufield. That Wisconsin team is going to be fun, fun, fun to watch!

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah, that was one of the criticisms I expected.

My top 5 this year was:

1. Hugues
2. Kakko
3. Turcotte
4. Byram
5. Caufield

... a bit out of the "consensus", especially Caufield at #5, but I'm really high on Turcotte/Caufield. That Wisconsin team is going to be fun, fun, fun to watch!
I mean I had Turcotte at number 3 as well but even if say, Anaheim who I like got him instead of LA who I don't, I'd still be saying #5 is too high. And I'm just not as high on Caufield as other's. I had him tenth on my draft day list.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Would love to hear more about Jason Robertson's low ranking... he's the same age as Frost & Suzuki and put up the best #s of the three in the OHL

Also think Max Comtois deserves to be much higher than ~50.

It's possibly due to play-off performance (Robertson good, Frost great) and that he's gone from a good year to a spectacular year whereas Frost has been great back-to-back.

V similar prospects, but one of them slightly more proven over a longer period.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
I don't know who "Jack Hugues" is, but he must be huge.

Too high
5. Vitali Kravtsov (NYR)
12. Cole Caufield (MTL)
16. Kirby Dach (CHI)
21. Juuso Valimaki (CGY)
23. Dylan Cozen (BUF)
34. K’Andre Miller (NYR)
46. Alexei Alexeyev (WSH)

Too low
15. Martin Necas (CAR)
20. Trevor Zegras (ANA)
26. Filip Zadina (DET)
42. Troy Terry (ANA)

Notable omissions: Tippett, Sorokin, Vesalainen, Wahlstrom, Fabbro, Kupari, Heponiemi, Texier, Vilardi, Sandin, Brook, Jones, Wilde, Nylander, Myers

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
Lol Shestyorkin 29 and the better Sorokin doesn’t even make the list? Krav 5? Miller 34? I get it you like the rangers but come on now

Did Wilde or wahlstrom crack your top 200?

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I don't know who "Jack Hugues" is, but he must be huge.

Too high

Too low

Notable omissions: Tippett, Sorokin, Vesalainen, Wahlstrom, Fabbro, Kupari, Heponiemi, Texier, Vilardi, Sandin, Brook, Jones, Wilde, Nylander, Myers

Notable notable omission: (Caleb??) Jones

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Would love to hear more about Jason Robertson's low ranking... he's the same age as Frost & Suzuki and put up the best #s of the three in the OHL

Also think Max Comtois deserves to be much higher than ~50.

Like someone said, Frost/Suzuki/Frost are similar in the way they are forwards that were drafted high in 2017 and produced well throughout their junior careers.

Things Suzuki/Frost have over Robertson are mainly position (C vs W) and playoff performance. Otherwise, the 3 of them are solid prospects. Difference between #25 and #50 is not that huge, and mainly a matter of personnal preference.

As for Comtois, there is not many players I ranked below him I would pick before, but that's me. Ceiling IMO is a guy like Josh Anderson, but I think he ends up a good pest/3rd liner that can pitch in the 2nd line/2nd powerplay if needed (Tyler Bertuzzi/Andrew Shaw type of player).

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Great list! I think it's a lot more fair than some of the others. Some of my own opinions:
- Batherson could be higher, he put up great AHL numbers compared to some of the guys you have ahead of him who only played CHL
- What makes you rank Caufield 5th out of this year's draftees? I personally would rank him a little lower
- Also if you're going to include Josh Norris in the HM you have to include alot of other guys. Norris is basically one of those guys who is a guarenteed 3rd/4th liner, but I have a hard time seeing him do any better than that. He just doesn't have much offensive upside at all, but there's a lot of guys off the top of my head that should have a higher potential than him.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I told myself it would be unfair to criticize others in their attempts to make a top 50 NHL prospect list if I did not try to do it myself, so there it is! It is based, like for most people here, on my limited viewings of the players online and my incredible ability to statwatch on the interwebs… Enjoy!

1. Jack Hughes (NJ)
2. Kaapo Kakko (NYR)
3. Cale Makar (COL)
4. Alex Turcotte (LA)
5. Vitali Kravtsov (NYR)
6. Bowen Byram (COL)
7. Quinton Hughes (VAN)
8. Cody Glass (VEG)
9. Erik Brannstrom (OTT)
11. Noah Dobson (NYI)
12. Cole Caufield (MTL)
13. Evan Bouchard (EDM)
14. Adam Boqvist (CHI)
15. Martin Necas (CAR)
16. Kirby Dach (CHI)
17. Vasili Podkolzin (VAN)
18. Barret Hayton (ARI)
19. Ty Smith (NJ)
20. Trevor Zegras (ANA)
21. Juuso Valimaki (CGY)
22. Matthew Boldy (MIN)
23. Dylan Cozen (BUF)
24. Phillip Broberg (EDM)
25. Morgan Frost (PHI)
26. Filip Zadina (DET)
27. Peyton Krebs (VEG)
28. Alex Newhook (COL)
29. Igor Shestyorkin (NYR)
30. Nick Suzuki (MTL)
31. Cam York (PHI)
32. Drake Batherson (OTT)
33. Adam Fox (NYR)
34. K’Andre Miller (NYR)
35. Victor Soderstrom (ARI)
36. Jordan Kyrou (STL)
38. Sam Steel (ANA)
39. Moritz Seider (DET)
40. Arthur Kaliyev (LA)
41. Spencer Knight (FLA)
42. Troy Terry (ANA)
43. Eeli Tolvanen (NSH)
44. Ryan Poeling (MTL)
45. Joe Veleno (DET)
46. Alexei Alexeyev (WSH)
47. Maxime Comtois (ANA)
48. Joel Farabee (PHI)
49. Jason Robertson (DAL)
50. Jake Bean (CAR)

Honorable mentions (in no particular order) : Josh Norris (OTT), Henri Jokiharju (CHI), Josh Brook (MTL), Owen Tippett (FLA), Cal Foote (TB), Alexander Romanov (MTL), Rasmus Kupari (LA).

I would also have placed Vilardi and Timmins for sure in the top 50 for talent alone, but injuries are too much of a concern in their cases.

First thing that strikes me after doing the exercise is how much I seem to like Philadelphia and Anaheim prospect pools (4 players in the top 50, only behing the NYR (5), which have the top pool by far IMO). It is helped by the fact a lot of their prospects have not graduated, but still. I always liked the way they drafted, especially in the mid-late first round. Gotta trust that amateur scouting staff, they know their stuff!

Other notables: COL (3, 2 of those in the top 10) LA (3), DET (3), MTL (3), FLA (3), OTT (3).

Feel free to tell me it sucks with all the hate I know your capable of, I welcome all comments!

Edit: I did put Frost twice, so I removed one and put Bean at #50.
Batherson is way too low

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1